Sign in to follow this  
twillkickers

Connecting to Internet on an LC II

I am having trouble getting my LC II to connect to the internet. I am trying to connect directly via ethernet using an Asante MCiLC network card. I've installed all relevant drivers, and I am using Internet Explorer 4.0.1. I am using System 7.5.5. When I connect my Ethernet cable directly from the LC II's network card to the router, the upper light on the network card blinks quickly. However, when i open up Internet Explorer 4.0.1, I get errors such as "Data transfer error (-28)" and "The website could not be found" for every website I type into the address bar. I have set my TCP/IP settings to DHCP. Am I missing anything? Any and all help is appreciated! I have been working on this all day and now I am very tired :p

22 hours ago, olePigeon said:

DHCP is hit or miss with older hardware, usually miss.  Your best option is to configure TCP/IP manually.  Don't forget the DNS.

Thanks for the tip. I tried configuring manually. I entered a static IP in the IP field. I entered my router IP in the "router" field and I entered 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as my DNS (Google DNS.) However, the same issue still seems to be happening. Am I missing something? Should I try different settings?

If you're still not having any luck, sometimes you have to put an older switch between the computer and the newer routing equipment.  I put an old Netgear 10/100 8 ports switch between my vintage machines and my newer router.

+1 to the above suggestion. Old ethernet cards can be notorious for not wanting to auto-negotiate with a modern router switchport. Granted at this point if you don't have an old hub lying around it can be sort of hard to find one.