boitoy1996

Thinking about a Beige G3 - Questions

A Mac OS X boot partition would be limited to 8 gigabytes, but if you don't install OS X, then it's not a problem. They will still have the LBA-48 partition.

An option of course is to put an ATA133 card into the machine for better performance. That might work around the 8-gig limit on the boot volume as well. I have to try installing OS X on a big partition on a SATA disk at some point.

For everything other than hard disks, the onboard SCSI bus is fine.

4 hours ago, boitoy1996 said:

I thought that IDE Devices on these beige g3 computers were limited to 8 gigabytes

They could go to 128GB or 127 point something.  I think the 8GB "limit" technically could affect OS 9 too when a system file fell out of the first 8GB.

You can also buy extremely cheap SATA cards from China on eBay, as long as they have a single SIL3112 SATA controller, it can be flashed on a regular PC with a PCI port, and then the card will work on any PowerPC Mac, sans the odd Quicksilver PowerMac G4 (those are just really picky with cards). Those cards are often $10 or less with free shipping, and the one I've been using in my PowerMac G4 MDD has yet to fail me.

Good advice on the SATA card conversion although those SIL 3112 based cards are pretty sparse these days and no longer $10.  Usually $20 - $40.  I too prefer IDE but only because I have a ton of IDE drives.  SCSI drives are more rare these days, unless you go after a SCA 80-pin server drive and use a SCA 80 pin to 50 pin adapter.  Those server drives are built like tanks and have MTBF in millions of hours usually.  They are a bit loud though as they are usually 10k RPM to 15k.    I have plenty of dead quantum SCSI drives that were from Apple systems. One just died from a Performan 6116CD about a month ago.

Beige G3s are pretty fun and, despite my love for the B&W, I find them to be far more reliable than the latter where, for example, one of the performance enhancements (the Ultra ATA controller) is eliminated due to a faulty controller chip and subsequent ATA mode reversion under OS X. I do really enjoy the B&W's processor activity LED, though. So cool.

My current beige G3 MT has an ATA DVD-RAM (yes, RAM, with the caddy-loading tray), 640MB internal SCSI MO, 40GB 7200RPM ATA HD, Voodoo3 3000, combo USB/FireWire PCI card, A/V personality card, Rev. B ROM, 640MB RAM, all on an 83MHz board run by a 292MHz G3. I have to run OS 9 because I couldn't seem to get the combo USB/FW card to run properly under 8.6. The only thing I'm missing is the Zip drive, because it isn't easy to find internal SCSI Zip drives just laying around (or indeed, at all anymore). The MO is more spacious and reliable anyway

I wouldn't bother with using a SCSI hard drive, really, unless you're doing some kind of disk-thrashing A/V work. With an internal Zip and optical drive you have only one spare drive bay available, so it's not like having the ability to install 14 more hard drives will do you any good; you're better off with SATA if you want a performance/capacity boost. If you're doing a file server (or anything on a network, really) you'll probably want to use one of your PCI slots for a decent Ethernet card anyway; the onboard 10bT sucks and I often have lots of collision errors with it on modern networks.

I like the last generation 10/15K RPM SCSI drives on a decent card (you can run the 64 bit PCI cards in a 32 bit slot but you can only get 120MBs because of PCI bandwidth).  Built in IDE will limit speeds on newer IDE drives.

I prefer the B&W G3 to the desktop Beige G3 but I like the Beige MT G3s quite a bit.

On 12-1-2018 at 9:39 PM, Zippy Zapp said:

Good advice on the SATA card conversion although those SIL 3112 based cards are pretty sparse these days and no longer $10.  Usually $20 - $40. 

That must have happened relatively recently since I remember they still were that cheap not too long ago. I guess the SIL3112 chipset is deprecated and running out, with the SIL3114 being used as a replacement as I did see cheap PCI SATA cards with that chipset.

@boitoy1996What did you end up doing?

If you are still working on this project, just remember to take your time and all the right parts will pop up at reasonable prices.

If you haven’t gotten to the PCI cards yet, I put the following in mine:

Radeon 7000 MAC Edition 

USB2.0/FW400/1000mbit Ethernet combo card

SATA card

Im very happy with the build. And I did it incredibly cheap. (Unlike my 6100, which probably has $350 sunk into it -_-, all because I wasn’t patient)

Also, with 512mb RAM I’m seeing decent performance from Tiger on this computer. That said, it could never be a daily driver for me. YMMV. 

Best of luck!

There are some SIL3112 cars on Ebay for $20 with the Flash chip in a socket, which can make things easier.  Searching on PB3112SATA150 will likely turn them up.  Looks like there aer 9 left.

Also, try to get a later logic board. They came with the Rage II Pro graphics instead of just the Rage II. Gejerally, these boards also had a REV B or C ROM, so you can cover both bases at once.