itsvince725

External SCSI-mounted SCSI2SD Housing?

Would it be possible to build a SCSI2SD housing with a DB25 male connector for connecting directly to an external SCSI port while being much more compact than a conventional SCSI external hard drive?

I understand that it might end up needing external power (micro/mini USB?) but even with that it would still be a lot smaller, lighter, and more portable than an external SCSI HDD.

Yes, I don't see why not.  You just need a cn50 cable like used in a scsi external drive, and just plug the scsi2sd into that.  You should just be able to use it normally.

But you see, what I was hypothesizing is a cable-free solution...it's not really as much of a space-saver if you have to run a DB25 to CN50 cable from the Mac to the SCSI2SD housing.

There was a cable free solution back in the day. It was a box mounted vertically to the back of the Mac(usually a compact) that screwed directly into the DB-25 SCSI port and provided an in-line passthru for additional devices. It wouldn't be all that difficult to do with a filament printed case.

I'll run down a reference pic when I get a chance, I know I've got one posted somewhere.

Oh wow, didn't know that existed! That in a little 3D printed case with a SCSI2SD on the 50pin end is exactly what I was thinking of.

Target system (unspecified) could be a problem for a right angle/case hugging build. Took a peek at the ass end of my SE/30 and clearances for backplane connector/power cables look nasty with a passthru located just above the connector to the mobo.

One nice thing is the SCSI port's proximity to power on the SE/30's FDD connector. Will that suffice for powering SCSI2SD? Placing header thruholes for those two connectors (connections for power only on the FDD side) diagonally on a 10cm x 10cm SEEED board would be about perfect. That keeps all four retaining screw attachment points on board for passthru connector rigidity and elimination of the lump-onna-rope requirement in one fell swoop. default_icon_smile_big.gif

So it gets powered by the floppy connector? Interesting!

And my target machine for this device is compacts  (128k/512k with SCSI added, Plus, dual floppy SE). 

1 hour ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

One nice thing is the SCSI port's proximity to power on the SE/30's FDD connector. Will that suffice for powering SCSI2SD?

The SCSI2SD v5 is bus powered. I've used mine about a dozen of times externally without any issues. Don't know about v6s though. 

Aha! Didn't know that, I've no experience with them.

V6 looks awesome, but much too large as an assflap of an SE/30. I see he switched to a full size SD Card for the V6 SCSI 2 version. Is it faster than Micro-SD or did the tiny chiplets prove to be more trouble in handling than the downsizing was worth? One day  .  .  .

On 12/5/2017 at 5:57 PM, itsvince725 said:

Would it be possible to build a SCSI2SD housing with a DB25 male connector for connecting directly to an external SCSI port while being much more compact than a conventional SCSI external hard drive?

I understand that it might end up needing external power (micro/mini USB?) but even with that it would still be a lot smaller, lighter, and more portable than an external SCSI HDD.

The already exists :) good news!

I usually just rip into external HDD/CD enclosures (like a LaCie Joule) when I need to externalize a drive or SCSI2SD. The added benefit of using those is the ability to chain additional SCSI devices, an enclosure-provided SCSI ID, and enclosure-provided term power.