Photo

Gamba

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 napabar

napabar
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:28 AM

Anybody have Gamba's email? Looked all over his pages and couldn't find it.

http://home.earthlin...mba2/index.html

#2 tomlee59

tomlee59
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:45 AM

Sorry to be the bearer of sad news, but Gamba passed away (explaining why the site has not been updated in a long time). Wally provided us with this unfortunate news. For the time being, the site is still up, by the grace of Gamba's sister, but no one can say how much longer it will be there.

#3 Quadraman

Quadraman

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:58 AM

yeah, so cache whatever pages interest you and download any files you may need before it's too late.
Apple IIe IIc IIGS. Mac 128/512k->Plus 2xPlus SE. Dismantled IIci LC580 6320. Frankenmac Q700/IIvx, 631CD+040, 7500. 6100/60AV /66DOS 6116CD. 6500 7600 9500 G4DA533 G3iMac700 PB150x2 1400

#4 Mac128

Mac128

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:02 AM

Tom, that is indeed sad news. As a practical matter, someone should archive that site and maintain it in his memory. He fought the fight as they say as evidenced by his defunct software download section. Truly a great within the Macintosh community. He will be sorely missed.

#5 JRL

JRL
  • LocationChampaign, IL/San Jose, CA

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:36 AM

Very sad news indeed; I couldn't be better off without his site.
Plus ('030), SE x2, SE/30, Classic, Classic II, LC x3, LC II, LC III, P460, LC 475, LC 575, P575, P630, Color Classic, II, IIci (PowerCache), IIsi, 150, 160 x2, 165c, 170, 180c, 2300c, 520c, 540c PPC, 5500, 6360, Duo Dock, 7100, iBook 366, MB '08, MBA '13

#6 tmtomh

tmtomh
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA, USA

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:05 AM

Even better than an archive, can someone mirror the site? M

#7 JDW

JDW
  • LocationAichi-ken, Japan

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:38 AM

Folks, it's already archived on http://web.archive.o...mba2/index.html That is, until the owner of the Gamba domain asks archive.org to remove the pages from the archive.

I've seen so many great sites go into File 13 this way. They once were archived but now they aren't. What we really need is better variant of archive.org that is unchangeable -- even if the domain owners want their pages removed, tough! Only by refusing to unarchive pages can one truly say they are indeed "archiving" the net. The only other complaint I have with Archive.org is that many sites are incomplete (mostly lacking graphics or file downloads).

NOTE: I am really frustrated with 68kMLA in that many of the links I try to make clickable using [URL] tags just won't work. The above archive.org link is just one example. I was forced to use [code=auto:0] tags. I also am banned from using "?" marks in the URL. Please fix this for us!

I must say that it is rather sad that no family member cared enough to put up a web page even mentioning his passing. And while some have said they are grateful his sister is still keeping the Gamba site up, I would have expected a web page in memory of him. People who have contributed significantly to "a community" as Gamba has should be remembered in a more lasting way, above and beyond just what we wish to write in a text forum. I can only hope one of his relatives will eventually read this and be cut to the heart enough to dedicate a web page to Gamba.

Above and beyond Macs, I think Gamba is a kindred spirit. Browse through the "READ THIS!" link on the Gamba page. I too am a fan of the Cato Institute and I fully agree with the last sentence in that Robert A. Levy essay. Americans have sold their souls to Big Brother for the sake of security. Imagine how many freedoms would remain in "the Land of the Free" should a nuke every detonate on US soil. Chaos and loss of life aside, the very foundations of America would crumble as government would move in to "protect and secure."

Gamba, THANK YOU!

#8 elbaroni

elbaroni
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:55 AM

Would not a good way be to mirror the site at 68kmla.org? Is there anything close to the room? I was investigating (in a very shallow way) software to download a whole website — there used to be some which would let you download everything to a certain depth of links. I didn't come up with anything. Any thoughts?
Cheers.

#9 tomlee59

tomlee59

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:56 AM

It is my understanding that Gamba's sister is his only remaining close relation, and from what Wally has said, she is not particularly tech-savvy, so she might not have an idea of how important Gamba was to the retroMac community. Perhaps we ought to interpret the continued existence of Gamba's site as tribute enough.

#10 Macbuk

Macbuk

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:15 PM

It's really a sad news. Gamba's site was the most important web site i've referred to, during development of my vintage passion: great collection, great explanations, great synthesis of informations. It has undoubtely required a lot of time to be organized and i'll remeber forever its contribute.
Here part of my vintage collection:

http://picasaweb.goo...coloridellamela

Apple IIGS (3), Mac II, Mac IIx, Mac IIcx, Mac IIci (2), Mac IIfx, Mac SE30, CX @ Q650 mb), LC (2), LC 475 (2)

Now using Acer centrino (linux/xp), Macbook core2duo, mac mini G4.

#11 ~tl

~tl

68kMLA Admin Emeritus

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:18 PM

NOTE: I am really frustrated with 68kMLA in that many of the links I try to make clickable using tags just won't work. The above archive.org link is just one example. I was forced to use [code=auto:0] tags. I also am banned from using "?" marks in the URL. Please fix this for us!

Having "?" in URLs worked fine but "*" didn't, so I've fixed that now -- and no doubt broken everything else in the process. Let me know by PM if you find anything else that doesn't work [:o)]

As for mirroring Gamba's site here. Sure, we should have enough space. If someone wants to grab it, ZIP it all up and send it to me, I'll see what I can do. However, instead of just mirroring the site directly, why don't we try and integrate the information from it into our [url=http://68kmla.org/wiki/]Wiki. It would probably be more useful there, as other people could expand on it, etc.

#12 elbaroni

elbaroni
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:25 PM

Righteo, I need a project. Kinda. I'll leave it downloading overnight.
Cheers.

#13 ~tl

~tl

68kMLA Admin Emeritus

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:27 PM

Righteo, I need a project. Kinda. I'll leave it downloading overnight.

What software are you using? I know wget has a mode where it can mirror a site... that might work. It's what I used to create the Old Forum Archive [:)]

#14 slomacuser

slomacuser
  • LocationSlovenia, Europe

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:32 PM

found that on gambas archive links but the actual files are not in the arcives anymore ... so does anybody got that international version?

Posted Image

[:(] please

#15 ChristTrekker

ChristTrekker
  • LocationNebraska Macintosh Guard, Eastern Division

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:32 PM

What software are you using? I know wget has a mode where it can mirror a site... that might work. It's what I used to create the Old Forum Archive [:)]

I did this:
alias wgetmirror='wget --recursive --force-directories --level inf --wait=3 --convert-links --follow-ftp --no-parent --page-requisites' I used it on Gamba's page some time ago, so I have my own archive.

#16 nahuelmarisi

nahuelmarisi
  • LocationYork, UK, EU

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:31 PM

It is indeed sad news. The site is really, really useful, and well organised.

I think it should be mirrored instead of saved in a wiki format. It should be preserved the way it was, if anything the links could be fixed, but the format should be kept.

I wonder how big is it, I do have a bit of space on my server.

NOTE: I am really frustrated with 68kMLA in that many of the links I try to make clickable using tags just won't work. The above archive.org link is just one example. I was forced to use [code=auto:0] tags. I also am banned from using "?" marks in the URL. Please fix this for us!

Having "?" in URLs worked fine but "*" didn't, so I've fixed that now -- and no doubt broken everything else in the process. Let me know by PM if you find anything else that doesn't work [:o)]

As for mirroring Gamba's site here. Sure, we should have enough space. If someone wants to grab it, ZIP it all up and send it to me, I'll see what I can do. However, instead of just mirroring the site directly, why don't we try and integrate the information from it into our [url=http://68kmla.org/wiki/]Wiki. It would probably be more useful there, as other people could expand on it, etc.

Apple IIe, Apple Lisa 2, Mac 128k/512k upgraded to Plus 4 mb, Mac Plus 2 mb, Mac Plus 4 mb, Mac Plus 2.5Mb, Mac Classic 4 mb, Mac Classic 4 mb, Mac Classic 2 mb, Mac SE 4 mb, Mac SE/30 2mb, Mac SE/30 128mb,Mac Classic II 4 mb, Powerbook 100, powerbook 145, powerbook 170, powerbook 190cs, iMac g3 Rev B, macbook, iPod Touch
Non apple: Amiga 600HD, Commodore 64c, BBC Master 128

#17 trag

trag
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:52 PM

Tomlee, can you point at the thread where Wally gave us the bad news? In addition to his wonderful website, Gamba had a few other things valuable to the vintage community. First, he had found a supplier for the connector which goes on the back of the Compact CRT. Second he had a supply of the resistor/capacitor arrays (filters) and right angle Euro-DIN connectors. I wonder if there's any chance of approaching his sister regarding those things, without seeming too ghoulish. I think I've found the filters and euro-DIN connectors else-where so those aren't critical, but the information for the supplier of the CRT connector might be very useful in the future. And he had the only IIci ROM SIMM outside of Apple... :-) I'm proud to have been able to collaborate with him on that small project.

#18 ulterior

ulterior

Administrator

• Administrators
  • LocationNevada, USA

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:06 PM

So I decided to make an online mirror of it and provide an archive so people can download it if they like. Are there anysites that should be archived before tho go MIA? //wthww

playerfeed_1952083_avatar.gif

#19 tomlee59

tomlee59

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:17 PM

Tomlee, can you point at the thread where Wally gave us the bad news?

See http://68kmla.org/fo...opic.php?t=1412

Very sad, indeed.

#20 ChristTrekker

ChristTrekker
  • LocationNebraska Macintosh Guard, Eastern Division

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:14 PM

I bought one of Gamba's right-angle PDS adaptors only months before his passing. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users