waynestewart

Not a computer

I still see CED once in a blue moon but the people have no idea what they have so they want $15 per movie and $70 for the player. The movie selection on CED is even worse than Laserdisc and ain't worth it.

I actually just ran across a CED player and a handful of discs in a pawn shop yesterday. Woulda bought it, but I already have enough crap in my house...

Until a few months ago (when we started renovations on the house), I had an old MCA Discovision player. It had come from a local Ford dealer, and it included their promo LD showcasing their new vehicles for the 1983 model year!

The unit was a huge beige monstrosity made of steel... it weighed about 60lbs (no joke!) and had a rather large remote that weighed about a pound or so.

I kept it around to watch my Urusei Yatsura and Bubblegum Crisis/Crash LDs.

Until a few months ago (when we started renovations on the house), I had an old MCA Discovision player. It had come from a local Ford dealer, and it included their promo LD showcasing their new vehicles for the 1983 model year!

The unit was a huge beige monstrosity made of steel... it weighed about 60lbs (no joke!) and had a rather large remote that weighed about a pound or so.

One of these?

PioneerLDplayer.jpg

I bought one one ebay about six years ago, however I ended up being unable to pay shipping so instead broke a deal to just ship the Laserdisc that was inside it, which was the Laserdisc for an Apple Interactive Kiosk.

Those players are industrial grade. Have a gas tube laser.

Eventually bought myself a VP-1000 which was half the weight but just as big.

I had a few LD players in the mid 90's. local video store rented the disks and I bought some over the years. maybe 3-4 years ago I gave my last player (fancy pants Sony with auto reverse, AC-3 etc played CDs and VCDs too) and all my disks. only CAV disk I had was terminator. also had all the james bond flicks and a slew of other movies.

Once DVDs took hold, that video store started to phase out the LDs and I eventually got a DVD player and the LD started to gather dust (I'm not that rabid of a Starwars fan to require the original LD version, re-release is fine by me).