CC_333

Dim Keyboard Backlight on 17" PB G4

Hi,

I have a basically brand new 17-inch PowerBook G4, but I cannot figure out why the keyboard backlight is so dim.

It was dim from the start, so I replaced the upper case (which had other issues anyway), which contained a new backlight, and it's still just as dim.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the fact that I had to use a piece of paper to get the cable to connect properly (the LB connector's locking bar is missing), like maybe it's not making complete contact or something?

So if anybody has any ideas as to why this is so, please share them.

Thanks,

c

Hmm...

I guess that's just the way it is, then.

As implemented, the cruddy thing is practically useless, so why even have it?

The rest of the machine, however, is in excellent condition (I refurbished it myself; it's almost completely new :D ). A dim keyboard backlight is trivial to me (although I do like having them, when they work).

It's too bad it can't be upgraded to a brighter light (or can it? }:) ).

c

It seems my Google search has brought me back to my five year old thread :s

Well, new-to-me PowerBook 17", same problem.

I have a working theory that the elements that create the light get weak and dim with age. Can anyone confirm?

The solution, therefore, would be either to find a NOS top case somehow, or to find a replacement for that element.

Any ideas?

c

On 3/10/2018 at 1:11 AM, CC_333 said:

It seems my Google search has brought me back to my five year old thread :s

Well, new-to-me PowerBook 17", same problem.

I have a working theory that the elements that create the light get weak and dim with age. Can anyone confirm?

The solution, therefore, would be either to find a NOS top case somehow, or to find a replacement for that element.

Any ideas?

c

How dim is it exactly? Could you get a picture of yours? Keep in mind that these PowerBook G4 keyboard backlights were never as bright as the newer unibody MacBook Pro ones are. 

Yeah, I know, but they must have been bright enough so as not to be useless?

Anyway, here's what the A1052's looks like (don't mind the missing keycaps; I plan to replace them soon):

IMG_0321.thumb.JPG.cc0990806e1c2d0770d6d219a491ad7e.JPG

And, for comparison, my A1106:

IMG_0322.thumb.JPG.b5b75ccbf570ee808d339899afc2def3.JPG

They're both at full brightness.

I know that, even when new, these weren't as bright as modern MacBooks, but it seems there's a problem when it's *that* much dimmer, even compared to a roughly contemporary machine.

c

1 hour ago, CC_333 said:

Yeah, I know, but they must have been bright enough so as not to be useless?

Anyway, here's what the A1052's looks like (don't mind the missing keycaps; I plan to replace them soon):

IMG_0321.thumb.JPG.cc0990806e1c2d0770d6d219a491ad7e.JPG

And, for comparison, my A1106:

IMG_0322.thumb.JPG.b5b75ccbf570ee808d339899afc2def3.JPG

They're both at full brightness.

I know that, even when new, these weren't as bright as modern MacBooks, but it seems there's a problem when it's *that* much dimmer, even compared to a roughly contemporary machine.

c

Wow, that is really dim! I wonder what is causing this? Surly it wasn’t that dim when new!

The keyboard backlight on my two 15” G4’s (a 1.25GHz A1046 and a 1.5GHz A1095) look just like your A1106.

Edited by PB145B

Yeah, I don't know! It isn't a big deal really, but I'm picky about things like this, and if it's there, I want it to work 100% properly!

Does anybody have an A1095 to check? It could just be that that generation of keyboard backlights was dimmer.....

But I don't see why it'd be *that* much dimmer!

In my limited research, I've found that it *could* be PMU related (could also explain why I have no sound on internal speakers). I will try resetting it to see what happens....

c

Edited by CC_333

1 hour ago, CC_333 said:

In my limited research, I've found that it *could* be PMU related (could also explain why I have no sound on internal speakers). I will try resetting it to see what happens....

Let us know if that works! 

I know :(

Looks like the minimum price to get a decent replacement is $60 :O

Oh, well. the thing seems to be worth at least $100 anyway. I might sell it and make a profit if I can get it fixed.

Maybe I'll try LEM Swap and the Trading Post, see if someone has one (that works!) they don't want.

c

Edited by CC_333