reallyrandy

Getting files onto old compact Macs

If you burn CDs with the standard ISO format, it can read them with the appropriate CD-ROM extensions. Usually this implies 7.5.3+.

Personally I think Ethernet is worth the initial cost. Floppy drives are a last resort.

If you have 10.6, you'll need a bridge Mac. I have not been able to test 10.7 support, if it does work with anything it will likely be 9.2 with AFP over TCP/IP only. A bridge Mac is a very useful piece of kit to have, depending on which one you choose. I'd be leaning towards one of these.

The reason you can still write floppies for DOS machines is because of FAT12 support, but that's not to say it will last another 10 years.

Actually, if I go ethernet I would probably just connect it straight to the AEBS router for internet and download stuff either straight from sites or off my own FTP. I'm assuming that would work fine but I could be wrong. The Asante Mini I was looking at just got bought, so that's out for now. Will a Localtalk to Ethernet bridge serve the same purpose? They seen to be only for sharing printers but I could be wrong.

Right now I'm writing disks in VMware/Windows XP through MacDrive and it's working ok. Still, it's a pain.

They can do file sharing but they apparently handle only AFP over AppleTalk. AFP over TCP/IP like OS X 10.4+ is out of capability.

A macine running Tiger with a USB floppy drive can come in handy, or a beige PCI Mac with a floppy and a USB card for a thumbdrive.

Variations on the sneakernet theme are probably easiest.

It is bizzare that we have this problem, isn't it? What's even more bizzare, though, is that some of our own members here think it right and good.

I don't. If i was king of the US and all the computer fazzle going on back in the day, I would have put out a mandate that all computers from the // onward have some sort of minimal bootable OS in ROM, that can handle basic tasks with shell control. And all computers from that point on must have a standard serial networking interface, so that a //c could hook up to the very latest machine with no real issues.

It's not hard at all, the ROM thing would be a problem though. We already had FTP, we already know how to push data over four pins (clock, data+, data-, ground), simple serial interfaces and handshaking et al back in the 70's. Since the engineers who knew the ins and outs of the hardware et cetera, how hard could it be? Since memory was expensive, they could compress the system into ROM and use assembly language.

As for modern computers, they could have a simple OS like System 6 in ROM that can do simple stuff like blessing system folders and what not. Terminal would be a real bonus as well. You might say "But there's no room for a DIN-4 on a MacBook Pro 2x!!!!" I think a simple Ethernet to DIN-4 adaptor would suffice (or ThunderBolt to DIN-4). "But what if the FTP or the system ROM gets expanded with new features?" No problem, use programmable ROM chips that are cheap and easy to burn, and they plug into a DIP socket or something like that.

Something like that.

As for OS X with floppy drives, watch out for extraneous fat that the system plops onto the disk. 1.3MB could be suddenly reduced to 1MB free space without warning.

If you want to access the internet, there have been a handful of users here and elsewhere that have made pseudo PPP networks. Basically, dial-up-like but without the modem. I'll be looking into a writeup on how to do that once a certain member gets back from spring break. :)

If you're finding it difficult bridging the gap between your old Mac and your new one, hit up my site and I can put whatever images you need onto 800K floppies. It'll save you a ton of time and money spent on extra hardware.

Edited by Guest

not trying to start any issue's, but how is it we post a link to freely available 6.0.8 image(from apple) (slightly modified for powerbook 140/170) and it gets snipped,

and you basically not only steal and pirate absolutely copyrighted software, but you sell it for profit, how in the hell is this allowed?

Forum rules still apply. Download links to commercially distributed software and games (no matter how old, no matter how unclear the ownership of the rights is) is forbidden.

Additionally, the 68kMLA isn't really an appropriate place to advertise a commercial service such as sales of pre-prepared floppy diskettes on a web page with automation and e-commerce.

It would be different if it really were stuff that was definitely on Apple's old software downloads, that you were doing as a one-off favor to somebody. This, like repairing eMacs in a warehouse, crosses a line.

Just a note on ethernet to localtalk bridges... Asante made them under three different product names. One was the AsantePrint. The next was the MicroAsantePrint (reduced size to card deck). The third was the AsanteTalk.

As others have mentioned, they do not bridge TCP/IP, only AppleTalk traffic. I find one extremely handy to have, but you really need a bridge machine which can run an OS old enough to use AFP, but modern enough to use TCP/IP. I'm not sure what range that is. I think it's something like 8.6 through 10.3.x or did TCP/IP sharing support start in 9.1?

They're also nice if you get an older printer which has LocalTalk built-in but lacks Ethernet (many of the HP models, e.g.).

Anyway, the thing I'm going to add, is that if you're searching for them on Ebay, you can look under those three names, but also search with the words in the name separated.

For example, I searched for "Asantetalk" and the few results I got all cost about $50 with shipping. Then I searched for "asante talk" and found several of them under $20, although one of them was sans power supply, I think.

The AsanteTalk is probably the most common. When Apple started selling the iMac, which lacked serial ports (LocalTalk) but had ethernet built in, Asante changed the MicroAsantePrint to the AsanteTalk, removed a few of the network management features present in the former, lowered the price and sold a ton of them. So the AsanteTalk probably had the most volume and was the most recently sold.

It's not hard at all, the ROM thing would be a problem though. We already had FTP, we already know how to push data over four pins (clock, data+, data-, ground), simple serial interfaces and handshaking et al back in the 70's.

In the old Kermit days, you could type in a ridiculously long string and run EXEC to download your own copy of Kermit.

Thankfully I have never used computers without access to the internet or bulletin boards (and I am one of the older contributors here, by age). On occasions I have been saved by people popping a boot disk for a CP/M computer in the post. I have done the same for others.

I think it's something like 8.6 through 10.3.x or did TCP/IP sharing support start in 9.1?

8.6 supports AFP over TCP/IP if you get AppleShare IP 5.0, which was expensive.

Otherwise, 9.0 -> 9.2.2 support AFP over TCP/IP through a limited licensed built-in copy of Shareway IP Personal.

10.3.9 is the last OS to support AFP over AppleTalk. 10.4+ require AFP over TCP/IP.

Yup, I was in the same boat as you as far as not being able to do any legacy suff in Lion becasue of the lack of HFS support.

Luckily I havea a Mac Mini lying around that I wasn't using. I decided to turn it into a headless vintage suppport machine. It just sits on my desk connected to the network without a keyboard monitor or mouse. I installed 10.5 on it for HFS support. When I need to do some legacy stuff, I just share the screen with my Mac Pro and move files onto it over the network and get the legacy files off on HFS formatted Zip disks. Works like a charm, and it's so small it's not like I have a huge Mac sitting around getting in the way. I also made it that much more useful by connecting my MagicJack to it. (VoIP phone for those that don't know.)

how is it we post a link to freely available 6.0.8 image(from apple) (slightly modified for powerbook 140/170) and it gets snipped

6.0.8 is freely available, as you say, from Apple. Legal permission to modify or re-distribute it is not.

well i didn't post the link, as i wouldn't… only because its not worth hearing it from the peanut gallery.

but do i personally think its a problem? no! but like i said, trying to avoid peanut gallery bicker from mods.

Seriously? "Peanut gallery bickering" - from the mods? You do know what the word mod means, right?

You seem to be operating under a number of misapprehensions about how the world works, and your importance in it. This is Cory's party - you are a guest here. He owes you exactly diddly-squat. And because he knows that internet parties sometimes attract douchecakes, he's hired us as bouncers.

The house rules are posted where everyone can see them. They're a condition of entry. You agreed to them when you signed up. If you don't like those rules, feel free to find another party. I'm sure we'll live.

On the other hand, as long as you don't piss on the carpet and pick fights with the DJ, we'll get along fine. What you don't get to do is hang around making an ass of yourself whining about what a shitty party it is.

Seriously, that's just plain rude.

bunsen please save it before i lose any level of respect for you.

Most of us have lost whatever respect we have for you. You're moody, hard to please, creepy as all-get-out, and your posts are very hard to read, as though something's not quite clicking in your brain when you get home at night, and feel the need to make the same post twice.

You can stay, but there's no automatic respect. You need to earn that by being nice, well-written, not creepy, and maybe even having useful information about Macs. (What with this being a Mac forum, and not an "opinion about forum moderators" forum.)

BACK ON TOPIC boys and girls

The best success I've had is using an external SCSI drive. My 8600 (tri-boot 10.2.8, 9.2.2 or 7.5.5) and my iMac (10.6.8 ) are on the Ethernet hub. So I hook the external SCSI to the 8600, copy from iMac to 8600 and then onto the external drive. Once I've copied what I want, I connect the external SCSI to the SE.

The only complication I ran into is if I have too large of a SCSI drive in the external case. 2MB is about max. Sometimes the SE argues with the external drive, particularly if it is partitioned, but I have had success with single drives. I've configured this SE to dual-boot between 6.0.8 & 7.5.5. I managed to stuff two physical drives in the case.

For a few small files, there's always Appletalk as a backup.

Just my opinion.

Thank you!

I think something like the exchange above is best done via private messaging.

Politics!

c

The exchange was somewhat out of place and somewhat out of character for what I have experienced thus far to be a friendly forum full of enthusiasts.

On Topic:

In terms of SCSI drives, can these be hooked up to a PC? A SCSI card needed?

Or, what I was thinking of using SCSI zip drive -> sneakernet the disk across the desk -> Parallel zip drive -> HFVExplorer or Transmac the disk. Can even use this for backing up the disk on to the PC.

Could swap the SCSI drive between the Classic 2 and the Plus to allow for different versions of stuffit.

I'm not versed in SCSI, can it act like NAS, can 2 machines daisychain onto a single drive? Does System 6/7 handle file locking well?

The post directly before Bunsen's was five or six days old. I would argue it was safe to say this thread was in the process of going dormant.

No comment. c

In the old days, this was called PostCount++ and there was a rule against it. If you don't have a comment that adds some kind of worthwhile content to the thread, don't make a post.

Politics!

Please understand the rules if you're going to quote them at the administrator. The politics rule is designed to reduce the incidence of people having terrible Internet fights over different political views. If you and I favored different candidates for a particular office, and those candidates had significantly different viewpoints, for example. That rule also covers religion and "other sensitive subjects" at the discretion of the mods/admins.

I think something like the exchange above is best done via private messaging.

In my experience, sometimes after so much private messaging and warning and temporary banning, you either have to tell somebody how it is, in a space where everybody can see, or ban them. Whenever possible, I prefer not to ban people, especially people who appear to at least have the smallest modicum of interest in the hobby. This is me trying to avoid banning somebody outright.

a friendly forum full of enthusiasts

I try very hard to foster a friendly community. My goal is to have something that those of us with small children can leave up when they come into the room, or have on our displays when we're at work, and not worry if customers or bosses see. Unfortunately, some people don't seem interested in having that atmosphere.