conceitedjerk

Winter Warmup '09??

Now that I'm (mostly...) finished moving, I'm going to start looking into my first Retro Challenge project - the restoration of my Mac Portable! It needs a rebuilt battery, and since I have zero experience with that type of work, it should be rather... interesting.

:-)

H.

I'm actually really sorry I didnt finish my retrochallenge project, but I kinda randomly relocated in the middle of it. :(

Maybe I won't be banned for the warmup?

//wthww

Soooooo... are we gonna have a Winter Warmup in '09?

Yes, we're on for Jan 1... just haven't got round to an official announcement yet ;-)

will we have the option of buying an over priced t-shirt and mouse mat to commemorate the event?

[:D]]'>

I doubt it... nobody bought last year's overpriced junk and I don't have the budget for lavish prizes this time round.

But the memories will last a lifetime. ;-)

Winter warmup = heating your house with 10 Mac Pluses (toasters)...

heh. My room stays a toasty 85 Deg F in the summer with AC on because of my 7 machines that stay on (PowerMac G4, PowerMac G3, Server, 2 laptops, PM 7200 and a Pentium III dell) all the time. I use all of them daily (hard to believe) because I do a lot of work.

During the winter, it may go down to 80 degrees, but I have to close the heater vent in the room.

My electic bill is $350/mo :p

I pay for 1/3 of it.

Woot, I'll be there. Gotta figure out how to get my MSS-VIA working here at school though, that could be tough. I know, I'll give the IT department it's MAC address and tell em it's a Wii, that ought to work... See, they require you to authenticate with Javascript otherwise, which doesn't work with Apple IIc or Wii either. Since lots of colllege people have been whining about Wiis not working I should be able to get my MSS-VIA in under that plan.

heh. I just discovered that my newly remodeled basement office holds the heat in *REALLY* well. (New proper walls on top of the concrete; brand new triple-pane windows and sliding glass door that are way more efficient than the old aluminum-frame single-pane stuff that was in here before.

So much so that when we came back from our Thanksgiving trip, the office was a good 15 °F toastier than the room right next to it. Even more amazing is the fact that it was heated by three computers: a MacBook Pro, a Power Mac G4 Digital Audio with a 1.5 GHz upgrade, and my new fast-fast, Core i7. And that's it. This room doesn't even HAVE a heat vent, and the furnace was off, to boot. (It's not that big a room, though. Maybe 8' by 20'

The Power Mac G4 is my server, and goes to sleep from 11:00 PM to 6:00 AM daily. The MacBook Pro and the Core i7 desktop were sitting running World Community Grid the whole time. And we were only gone for about 36 hours!

Now that I have a house (and a 20' x 20' shed) I will start working on a RetroChallenge project as well. It's nice to have some space finally. Not sure what I will do - software is probably more my field.

Well, I know that the #1 use for my Tandy 102, note taking, could be done in a standard notebook, but clearly that's not any fun is it?

I'm not sure what I'll do this year, I kinda blew one project idea by doing it early because I was impatient and didn't want to just sit on my project 'til January. Oh well, maybe I'll do more work on my Tandy 102 based BBS concept. Still having problems hosting it though, since the university doesn't let me have access on the ports I want. I also got a IIc which I haven't done anything with, maybe it's time for a project there. After all, the Apple II was my first computer, and the first I learned to write code for. Not to mention it's much easier to take on the BBS than the Tandy.

EDIT: as for cool RetroChallenge emblazoned junk, how about some people design a nice retro wallpaper background for the group. I might do some ASCII art, mix with some other cool looking elements, and wrap the whole thing in BMP or PNG format for the delectation of RetroChallengers.

While I can't heat my room with my computers, I can warm my lap with my Lombard. :)

I've been learning web development in this little beastie for the last few months. Maybe I'll set up ColdFusion on it. :lol:

Well, I know that the #1 use for my Tandy 102, note taking, could be done in a standard notebook, but clearly that's not any fun is it?

DOODLES!!!

ahem..

as far as wallpaper, we did that in 2007 summer i think it was and it was a nice touch i thought. it was a nice thought that everyone dumb enough to do the RC had the same wallpaper

so a big yeah from me for the wallpaper idea.

- software is probably more my field.

couldnt you technically do that on a small pad of paper?

True - but now I have the space to actually sort through my collection and find the hardware I wish to use to compile the software. [:)]]'>