napabar

Gamba

Sorry to be the bearer of sad news, but Gamba passed away (explaining why the site has not been updated in a long time). Wally provided us with this unfortunate news. For the time being, the site is still up, by the grace of Gamba's sister, but no one can say how much longer it will be there.

Tom, that is indeed sad news.

As a practical matter, someone should archive that site and maintain it in his memory.

He fought the fight as they say as evidenced by his defunct software download section. Truly a great within the Macintosh community. He will be sorely missed.

Folks, it's already archived on http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/index.html That is, until the owner of the Gamba domain asks archive.org to remove the pages from the archive.

I've seen so many great sites go into File 13 this way. They once were archived but now they aren't. What we really need is better variant of archive.org that is unchangeable -- even if the domain owners want their pages removed, tough! Only by refusing to unarchive pages can one truly say they are indeed "archiving" the net. The only other complaint I have with Archive.org is that many sites are incomplete (mostly lacking graphics or file downloads).

NOTE: I am really frustrated with 68kMLA in that many of the links I try to make clickable using tags just won't work. The above archive.org link is just one example. I was forced to use

tags.  I also am banned from using "?" marks in the URL.  Please fix this for us!

I must say that it is rather sad that no family member cared enough to put up a web page even mentioning his passing. And while some have said they are grateful his sister is still keeping the Gamba site up, I would have expected a web page in memory of him. People who have contributed significantly to "a community" as Gamba has should be remembered in a more lasting way, above and beyond just what we wish to write in a text forum. I can only hope one of his relatives will eventually read this and be cut to the heart enough to dedicate a web page to Gamba.

Above and beyond Macs, I think Gamba is a kindred spirit. Browse through the "READ THIS!" link on the Gamba page. I too am a fan of the Cato Institute and I fully agree with the last sentence in that Robert A. Levy essay. Americans have sold their souls to Big Brother for the sake of security. Imagine how many freedoms would remain in "the Land of the Free" should a nuke every detonate on US soil. Chaos and loss of life aside, the very foundations of America would crumble as government would move in to "protect and secure."

Gamba, THANK YOU!

Would not a good way be to mirror the site at 68kmla.org? Is there anything close to the room?

I was investigating (in a very shallow way) software to download a whole website — there used to be some which would let you download everything to a certain depth of links. I didn't come up with anything. Any thoughts?

It is my understanding that Gamba's sister is his only remaining close relation, and from what Wally has said, she is not particularly tech-savvy, so she might not have an idea of how important Gamba was to the retroMac community. Perhaps we ought to interpret the continued existence of Gamba's site as tribute enough.

It's really a sad news.

Gamba's site was the most important web site i've referred to, during development of my vintage passion: great collection, great explanations, great synthesis of informations. It has undoubtely required a lot of time to be organized and i'll remeber forever its contribute.

NOTE: I am really frustrated with 68kMLA in that many of the links I try to make clickable using http:// tags just won't work. The above archive.org link is just one example. I was forced to use
 tags.  I also am banned from using "?" marks in the URL.  Please fix this for us!

Having "?" in URLs worked fine but "*" didn't, so I've fixed that now -- and no doubt broken everything else in the process. Let me know by PM if you find anything else that doesn't work [:o)]]'>

As for mirroring Gamba's site here. Sure, we should have enough space. If someone wants to grab it, ZIP it all up and send it to me, I'll see what I can do. However, instead of just mirroring the site directly, why don't we try and integrate the information from it into our [url=http://68kmla.org/wiki/]Wiki. It would probably be more useful there, as other people could expand on it, etc.

Righteo, I need a project. Kinda. I'll leave it downloading overnight.

What software are you using? I know wget has a mode where it can mirror a site... that might work. It's what I used to create the Old Forum Archive [:)]]'>

found that on gambas archive links but the actual files are not in the arcives anymore ... so does anybody got that international version?

picture-1.jpg

[:(]]'> please

Edited by Guest

What software are you using? I know wget has a mode where it can mirror a site... that might work. It's what I used to create the Old Forum Archive [:)]]'>

I did this:

alias wgetmirror='wget --recursive --force-directories --level inf --wait=3 --convert-links --follow-ftp --no-parent --page-requisites'

I used it on Gamba's page some time ago, so I have my own archive.

It is indeed sad news. The site is really, really useful, and well organised.

I think it should be mirrored instead of saved in a wiki format. It should be preserved the way it was, if anything the links could be fixed, but the format should be kept.

I wonder how big is it, I do have a bit of space on my server.

NOTE: I am really frustrated with 68kMLA in that many of the links I try to make clickable using http:// tags just won't work. The above archive.org link is just one example. I was forced to use

Having "?" in URLs worked fine but "*" didn't, so I've fixed that now -- and no doubt broken everything else in the process. Let me know by PM if you find anything else that doesn't work [:o)]]'>

As for mirroring Gamba's site here. Sure, we should have enough space. If someone wants to grab it, ZIP it all up and send it to me, I'll see what I can do. However, instead of just mirroring the site directly, why don't we try and integrate the information from it into our [url=http://68kmla.org/wiki/]Wiki. It would probably be more useful there, as other people could expand on it, etc.

Tomlee, can you point at the thread where Wally gave us the bad news?

In addition to his wonderful website, Gamba had a few other things valuable to the vintage community. First, he had found a supplier for the connector which goes on the back of the Compact CRT.

Second he had a supply of the resistor/capacitor arrays (filters) and right angle Euro-DIN connectors.

I wonder if there's any chance of approaching his sister regarding those things, without seeming too ghoulish.

I think I've found the filters and euro-DIN connectors else-where so those aren't critical, but the information for the supplier of the CRT connector might be very useful in the future.

And he had the only IIci ROM SIMM outside of Apple... :-)

I'm proud to have been able to collaborate with him on that small project.

So I decided to make an online mirror of it and provide an archive so people can download it if they like. Are there anysites that should be archived before tho go MIA?

//wthww

Thank you, Tom Lee. I PM'ed Wally to see if he's willing and/or able to contact the sister about the source of the CRT connectors. Of course, the only hope there would be if there's still an invoice or other purchase record available, unless Gamba kept notebooks or such.

I retain some of Gamba's design notes, at least those that had not been given away to others before I met his sister. The only CRT socket info I can find in his notes is APCO EIA-1210, which does not search well. The pins are the regular 7 pin miniature tube socket spacing so various sockets from Antique Electronic Supply or your favorite surplus source can be designed into future video board creations (edited addition: PROVIDED the socket design allows modification to clear the central CRT glass stem!). I found no order invoices and believe he was recycling sockets from Mac video boards (he had quite a large box of them that got freecycled).

Resistor/capacitor arrays (filters) and right angle Euro-DIN connectors: Both of these he had ordered and received from C&H Distributing, 215 S. George St York PA 17403 (800) 577-1175 (717) 843-7881 in the fall of 2002.

Additionally I have some design info and master artwork files for grayscale adaptors and the IIsi/IIfx ROM board that someday can be made available. As far as I can tell the Daystar PAL was of interest but never reverse engineered, but the right angle connectors were useful in various stacking options.

Gamba's sister is engaged in a struggle to retain independent living status, and prepare for the time when this is no longer possible due to age related health issues. I respect her priorities which at the moment do not allow her to devote time to drafting a memorial page. It is her wish that the work of Gamba be preserved and made freely available for future vintage Mac enthusiasts in a non-commercial and respectful manner. I believe that those of us willing and still able of mind and body should find ways of preserving Gamba's work and honoring his memory ourselves.

Those with a determined historical research interest should also use the wayback machine to visit the now defunct site http://www.accesscom.com/~gamba/ to see the original site. Be diligent about using the time machine to check out seemingly broken or unarchived links.

Edited by Guest

When I became aware of Gamba's death, I considered putting up a mirror of his site (I own a copy), just in case. I didn't do it because I learned that his sister was continuing to pay to retain the original.

The greatest thing about Gamba's site is the density of information. If you are a knowledgeable enthusiast, you can drill down and find the information that you require without fluff and annoyances. When I was designing my own web pages, I took lessons.

After a couple of year's of non-maintenance, the problem is that Gamba's pages have too many broken links. And links are the biggest problem for any web site maintainer. As we approach the fifth anniversary of his death, perhaps it is time to update the content elsewhere in memoriem. In traditional Gamba style, of course.

There is no rush. We have all (northern hemisphere!) summer to think about an appropriate commemoration.

I'm new to the forum and never heard of Gamba till now, but I'm very sorry to hear of his passing. I was kind of curious to get to know him through his website, but unfortunately there's no personal info there.

While browsing his site, however, I did realize I'd been there before fairly recently seeking info on the "homemade grayscale adaptors" he mentioned.

Wally, I don't suppose you would be willing to share with me the info you have on that.