Scott Baret

Painting a Mac Plus (upgraded 512K) Platinum

OK, so this may sound strange, but I want a platinum Mac. A platinum Plus that looks like a 512K, complete with a short keyboard and Apple IIc mouse.

I know what you're thinking. Yes, I own two platinum Pluses. However, I'd rather have this particular Mac become my platinum one.

My questions:

1. Has anyone found a paint that is the same as Apple's platinum case colour?

2. How should I go about painting a Mac?

Just a suggestion (sorry, no experience with painted computers, but I wonder how to restore the original look, as well): find a motorcycle shop that offers custom painted helmets. ABS is a common material for helmets (as some other plastics and fiber reinforced resins are, as well). So identify the stuff your Mac's case is made of (some kind of ABS, I assume) and ask for the chemical base of paint that is 100 % compatible with this stuff. I.e. the plastics must not become brittle from being painted (necessary for helmets, obviously, most favorable for computer cases ;-) A body shop might produce a custom mixed colour, matched to a sample (for example from a non yellowed part of the inside). The gloss could be adjusted with a transparent cover coat or lapping of the hardened paint.

In any case I would perfom some experiments before I attempted to paint a valuable case.

Interesting idea...perhaps I could find a shop that would even paint it for me? I think the Mac is ABS; I have an unyellowed ADB Mouse I could give to them so they have a colour to work from.

Can't believe I found this on Apple's Support website:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=866

"Apple does not normally use PMS color charts or Pantone color numbers to designate the platinum color that is now the company standard. Our platinum color number on a coded PMS chart is somewhere between 420 and 421, somewhat closer to 421. (This depends on the age of the chart and the light source used for viewing it."

Solution of ABS in methyl ethyl ketone (MEK), a common solvent for PVC pipe work (drains, stormwater, agriculture) was discussed in these forums a while back. I have used ABS in MEK for repairs and installations in compact AIOs. The weak link in ABS is, I suspect, the butadiene component, which not only oxidizes more readily than the acrylate and styrene, but embrittles the copolymer as a result of its doing so. It may also be that an ABS-in-MEK cement will not have a long life for similar reasons, and therefore have to made afresh for each repair job.

The burden of all this is that acetone- and MEK-based 'paints' should have good adhesion to Beige ABS Mac cases. That cannot necessarily be taken to include Beige (or, rather Platinum) metal-clad Macs such as the 81, 85 and 9500.

de