arfink

When's the new chalenge coming up?

Hey all! I'm new here, but I have followed the last RetroChallenge with much interest. I was wondering when the next one is. I have a blog set up for the purpose of retro things, and I've begun to post things there because it's March and this month is the 25th Anniversary of my favorite retro computer, the Tandy Model 100.

Please come and visit my blog:

http://neoretrotechnerd.blogspot.com/

Some background, since all these computers known as "retro" are older than I am, that's why I call call it the Neo Retrotech Nerd site. :)

My plan, unofficial at this point, is to get my Tandy online. I have a way to do it too, won't tell until I get to that point. Oh, and it doesn't involve using another computer as a gateway, although I might do that just for fun!

and I've begun to post things there because it's March and this month is the 25th Anniversary of my favorite retro computer, the Tandy Model 100.

My plan, unofficial at this point, is to get my Tandy online. I have a way to do it too, won't tell until I get to that point. Oh, and it doesn't involve using another computer as a gateway, although I might do that just for fun!

Cool, a fellow Model T'er!

In last year's Retrochallenge, I managed to get "Gibraltar" (my Model 100) to connect with my Sparc IPX at home using a payphone and acoustic couplers at 300 baud... using my Sparc (and cable modem) as a sort-of dialup internet gateway was interesting for a few minutes, anyway.

Sure gathered a crowd, too...

I have a model T controlling some lights in my office through an X10 serial interface. It's pretty damn smooth. ;)

Looking forward to the Challenge, thanks for hosting again Lud.

I have a model T controlling some lights in my office through an X10 serial interface. It's pretty damn smooth. ;)

Cool, I've been wanting an X10-controlled home for a while now, just have to get off my lazy behind to do it.

(Imagine MacTV's 6100 Media Center project with an X10 interface?)

Thanks everybody. I got a pair of 102's for some buddies of mine, which I rebuilt last week. They are now being used to take class notes. I guess it's not just me who's using these things on a regular basis.

BTW, I figured I'd let the secret out- I'm going to use a UDS to connect to the web. I plan on rigging the UDS to allow direct Telnet access from my Tandy, and then Telnet into things to get info. I might even make myself an email reader, since you can get into most mail servers via telnet.

I may attempt to live my entire digital life using my Newton 2100 but I have yet to get myself a data cable then I can start installing stuff like Newtscape or Courier for web browsing andd take it from there.

Also on the horizon for me- I discovered Minix 3. If you don't know what it is, don't worry, it's not another Linux clone. Linux is a clone of Minix. :b&w:

Yeah, it's basically the coolest. Linux-like system, Lynx 2 web browsing, Pine email, word processing, and most importantly TELNET (you know why) on a... 386! :p I'm drooling already. I wonder if it would work on my old Tandy IBM clone laptop.

OS X, this is your father. I'm gonna come down and run the show for you in July. You seem to have things all backwards right now! Don't you know he left side is the correct side for a scroll bar? And what is with the menu "bar"? Don't you know it is supposed to be a floating pallette? With any luck I'll be there dressed in black, as any proper computer should. When I get there we are going to get rid of all this candy looking crap and replace it with nice solid grey.

For the Winter Warm-up, I was going to use a Power Mac 7100 and a PowerBook 540c as my primary machines; but I couldn't get the 540c out of storage. If the actual challenge is coming in Summer, I should have a chance to dig it out by then. (It's buried well. I managed to get four other PowerBooks out, but not a 500-series.)

Might see if i can get the 8100 I have in the garage to work. Could not get my drive to work but then again I am no expert on SCSI so was probably doing something wrong.

Can you use an SCA drive on an 8100 I have the adapter.

I may have to sit this year's Retrochallenge out, as I'll be in Edmonton for half of July on business :(

Unless I can find a marginally interesting portable (that isn't a PC, Powerbook, or Tandy Model 100/102), I'm out.

Anyone have a Sparcstation Voyager or Sparc-based Tadpole they want to get rid of...?

I may have to sit this year's Retrochallenge out, as I'll be in Edmonton for half of July on business :(

Edmonton? Good Lord!

It would be a shame if you can't manage it, but obviously "real life" comes first.

Well, I've been thinking about it, and I think I'll make a go of it, using my trip as a bit of "added challenge"... especially when writing a daily blog.

I could make do with my wireless-enabled Powerbook 5300, but as she was my "main machine" for a couple of years earlier in the decade, it'd be waaay too easy to do what I want.

Hmmm... the real trick will be finding a suitable (portable) machine that will present somewhat of a challenge and not be awkward to carry with me on the plane(s).

This is gonna be fun!

newton with wifi - how far down can you go with a wifi connection and a newton. the 130?

anyone know if the wifi drivers work with the lower os versions. an OMP and wifi would be quite cool.

well in that really really sad geeky way that we all love.

---

much like yourself, life will get in the way for me towards the 2nd two weeks on july. but mini projects can always be fun too. and perhaps wont give me RSI this time - which i still kinda have too!

For a week or two this summer, I'm gonna be seeing how I can deal with using an iPhone as my main (and only) computer :D

And once summer classes start up, I'm prolly gonna start booting the G4 back into OS 9 for the duration of the class so I won't distract myself all the time with X. Add in taking the Duo to and from school with me, and I think that'll do for a bit of a challenge, even though I know I can do it. That's what I did for a little over a month when my main G4 died a while back (it's since been fixed) :I