Sign in to follow this  
MacSE/30

Daystar SE/30 PowerCache on eBay

Hi All,

I was looking for this accelerator for a while. I had heard that if PowerCache is put in an SE/30 the PDS slot won't be utilized anymore. Now this guy reporting that there is also trouble with start up sound and printing.

MacSE/30

This is the rarer of two extremely rare DayStar upgrade aids for the SE/30. The specific DayStar adapter from 030 PDS slot in the SE/30 to a Universal PowerCache card makes hensteeth seem common. In distinction, the PowerCache card that uniquely replaces a socketted CPU in the SE/30 is somewhere the other side of Pluto. The latter does leave the 030 PDS slot vacant, notionally if not physically. In this case the PDS slot was occupied with a video out card, as the seller notes specifically:

Please note that the back shows the connector for an external monitor. That will be removed (video card is not included in this auction) and the original flat cover replaced.

The DayStar Universal PowerCache manuals (1992-93 and 1993) that I received recently do not even mention the CPU-replacing adapter. The manual included in the auction may be older than mine, which cover all other 68k Macs for which Daystar made adapters to use with a Universal PowerCache.

Printing problems with a 50MHz CPU are probably a result of the ceiling speed of the serial ports, which cannot cope with the higher data rates available from the CPU. Given the relative proportion of CPU cycles devoted to printing, as opposed to all other activity, an upgrader might be content to live with the deficiency, if having to disable the cache were considered to be so. Similarly with sound. The 50MHz PowerCache confers a threefold CPU rate, a disability that most upgraders can grit their teeth and endure.

handy hint - if you're wanting to bid on something, don't mention it in forums before the auction is over. I know it wasn't actually hidden or anything, but you're not doing your chances any good (unless money is no object).

I have the 40mHz version of this card installed in my SE/30. I think I still have the original box and manuals around somewhere as well. I've been meaning to max out the RAM at 128MB at some point, just to do it. :-)