Sign in to follow this  
Scott Baret

Mac SE Prototype Spotted at Warehouse

I wish I had taken a picture but I left my camera in the car...

I think I found what was a prototype SE at a warehouse. I hope they don't chuck it.

It had a very shiny, untexturized case. It had a recess for an Apple emblem like the one on the 128K/512K and a serial number that claimed it was made in 1986. There were no words printed on the front of it, or on the back from what I recall. It had one floppy drive.

If it's still there when I get back down there I'll snap a photo or two. If they ever put it for sale for any reason I'll be the first to buy it.

the SE didn't come out until 1988...

Uh, the SE came out in 1987, March to be exact, along with the Mac II.

Either way, I would vote for a MacPlus prototype before the case was modified by Frogdesign, if it has the same square badge recess for the 128K/512K. Did it have the horizontal Snow White lines across the front and the vertical lined skirt around the base that distinguish the SE? The SE was designed from the ground up so there would have never been a prototype that used the older case style.

Then that's likely what it was. It couldn't have had a square badge indent like the 128/512K as it would not have fit. The SE had its inlaid Apple in the lower left corner location as well. So that's probably what you saw. The square badge had been dropped by the Mac Plus, changed by Frogdesign, so its unlikely it would have ever reappeared on the SE. It was designed during 1985, so I would fully expect prototypes to appear during 86.