Maconthemove

A Daystar card in a Centris 660 av

Got a Centris 660 av with a Daystar card in it. It is connected to a Daystar

angle adapter. The Daystar card has a 040 chip on it. There is no id on the card other than Daystar on it. Is it a 040 card?

Huh. Whaddaya know. I guess it's a faster 040 upgrade. The code on the CPU die implies it's a 40MHz part.

Have you booted this machine and checked what System Profiler reports?

It says it is a Quadra 650 with a 68040. Tried without the card in and the hard drive would not boot. It was running 7.6.1. Took the card out and put it in a real Quadra 650 and it seemed a little faster. The hd would not boot without the card installed.

Can you post the text from the two matching large chips?

I found a mention of a "Daystar Image 040" here, but it says it's only for the Mac II, LC and SE.

The main board is an accelerator for the Quadras (with a faster 40mhz 68040 CPU). The slot on the card is probably designed to receive a DSP daughterboard.

The weird thing is the right-angle adapter : it seems to allow regular 68040-PDS cards to be puggled on the 660av Processor Direct Slot. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the 660av was not meant to have a true PDS since the logical space of the PDS was used fot the DSP (like the 840av, wich has no PDS slot at all)...

[?]

You are right in saying that the Centris 660av has no PDS slot like the Quadra 650 has. the q650 took the card with no adapter. Does the Centris 660 av have a full 68040 chip or the watered down one?

The weird thing is the right-angle adapter : it seems to allow regular 68040-PDS cards to be puggled on the 660av Processor Direct Slot. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the 660av was not meant to have a true PDS since the logical space of the PDS was used fot the DSP (like the 840av, wich has no PDS slot at all)...

I'm guessing it's another one of DayStar's neat hardware tricks which allows the use of the same card in multiple machines...

Does the Centris 660 av have a full 68040 chip or the watered down one?

It has a full '040, but only at 25MHz.

Edited by Guest

Just above the pds connector there is two 50 pin connectors. What are they for?

SCSI??

The FLEXlogic name sounds like it might be a FPGA or CLPD - possibly glue logic for the upgrade card. Can you tell where the traces from those two chips go?

Tried without the card in and the hard drive would not boot.

How far into the boot sequence did it get? Did you try with extensions off?

The weird thing is the right-angle adapter : it seems to allow regular 68040-PDS cards to be puggled on the 660av Processor Direct Slot.

The fact that the '040 card itself works in a regular '040 PDS would bear this out. Do you have any other '040 PDS cards you could try in it?

Also, if you feel like selling this puppy - DIBS [:D]]'> [:D]]'>

The fact that the '040 card itself works in a regular '040 PDS would bear this out. Do you have any other '040 PDS cards you could try in it?

As I said in the post above, it sounds like one of DayStar's neat hardware tricks to allow the same card to be used in multiple machines... like how the Turbo040 works. That might also explain the FLEXlogic chips on the card. I doubt a normal '040-PDS card would work, and it would possibly bork the machine/card, so I wouldn't try it.

It says it is a Quadra 650 with a 68040. Tried without the card in and the hard drive would not boot. It was running 7.6.1. Took the card out and put it in a real Quadra 650 and it seemed a little faster. The hd would not boot without the card installed.

Can you check the system folder on your quadra 660av to see wich extensions / control panels seem to be related to the accelerator board? Also, do you have access to the DSP-related functions (speech recognition, geoport modem, video-in)?

I think the image 040 had similar functionality to the photoshop board expansion of the thunder IV.. not sure about compatibility or what software took advantage of it. Indeed.. I'm not sure how it works with (or against) the thunder IV board or what operating systems it was compatible with.

Oh and yes, I'm interested too should you wish to sell.