Photo

Does the SE/30 live up to the hype?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Byrd

Byrd
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:03 AM

I see the SE/30 as the special edition "turbo" edition of the SE - with a good chunk of RAM (20MB+) and a faster than stock HD, it performs so much better than a standard SE or Plus.  OS 7 is responsive and the crisp monochrome screen is something that will be marvelled at in terms of retro computing collections as the years go by.

Are there any B&W apps/games that make use of the '030?  None I can think of.  It is worth upgrading to faster accelerators?  No, this as you can't run anything else.

If you are looking at a more usable vintage Mac, a souped up CC is a much more capable machine.  Coupled with a 640 x 480 mod and '040 Mystic upgrade, you can run pretty much any piece of 68K software made (pending compatibility), it's small and serves as the perfect bridging Mac between older 68K and early PPC machines.  Don't forget it!

JB

Edited by Byrd, 14 November 2017 - 05:03 AM.

:: Current project Mac: PB1400 resto

#22 ArmorAlley

ArmorAlley
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:27 AM

Sure and You don't recommend a IIfx or an 840AV either I assume for the same reasons? Models are popular for a reason, people want to use them.

Exactly. A IIfx is nice to have but I think that a IIcx for half the price is a better deal for someone starting out.

If someone was looking for a 68K mac, I wouldn't recommend an SE/30, a IIfx or an 840av on the grounds of cost. I would recommend their less sexier siblings — SE, IIcx or a Q650. Of course, if an SE/30 is available at a reasonable price, then go for it.

I have a IIfx but it fell into my hands and for this I am thankful. I have an SE/30 too and this I got while the prices weren't too high.

SE/30s can be gotten reasonably (especially in the States). In Europe it is hard to find one for less than the equivalent of USD100. SEs can be got for 50.

There are many more more sellers offering up their old macs for silly prices. One auction site in Switzerland has a fellow offering his Plus for CHF700 (USD700) and his SE/30 for CHF400 (USD400). [https://www.ricardo.ch/de/c/sonstige-apple-mac-s-70706/]

What I have noticed is that many more Macs on sale here are pick-up only and for that I need a day or two and an expensive rail ticket to travel to get it..

Macs in active-ish use: IIcx | IIfx | Performa 475 | B&W G4

Macs available for use: SE; SE/30; LCIII; Q950; PM7100; PM7300; PM8100; 2x once-working Wallstreets; once-working Pismo; spare B&W G3;

#23 olePigeon

olePigeon
  • 68LC040

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:53 PM

I sold some SE/30s for between $300 and $400 on eBay.  I felt a little guilty about it.  They weren't that great of physical shape, and I made sure to post lots of pictures of any blemishes.  I retr0brited them, recapped them, installed a SCSI2SD card, and an ethernet card.  Maybe those items separately were worth it.  I dunno.

SCSI2SD card LEDs broke on 2 of them, so I had to mail out replacements.  I had soldered on a 2 pin connector to connect the HDD LED, but the connectors ripped the pads off.

Edited by olePigeon, 14 November 2017 - 05:54 PM.

#24 Unknown_K

Unknown_K
  • 68LC040
  • LocationOhio/USA

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:23 PM

I sold some SE/30s for between $300 and $400 on eBay.  I felt a little guilty about it.  They weren't that great of physical shape, and I made sure to post lots of pictures of any blemishes.  I retr0brited them, recapped them, installed a SCSI2SD card, and an ethernet card.  Maybe those items separately were worth it.  I dunno.

SCSI2SD card LEDs broke on 2 of them, so I had to mail out replacements.  I had soldered on a 2 pin connector to connect the HDD LED, but the connectors ripped the pads off.

SCSI2SD are what $60 a pop, Ethernet is $120+, recap is $50, retrobrite no idea so I can see $300-400. I just looked on ebay and non working units can fetch $50 plus shipping.
Favorites: big box Mac IIs, 950, 800's
Wanted: Anything Nubus, Video capture and editing hardware and software for 68k mac. Original software including A/UX.
Looking for 9150, Mac II, Color classic, 840av motherboard, and Nubus cards.

#25 mwdmeyer

mwdmeyer
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:26 AM

I just purchased a SE/30 in Australia.

$AU316 + $50 postage.

Honestly I would have paid double for it.

https://www.ebay.com...ed/263299678156

It has: SCSI2SD ($100 + SD card), recap (I've done on LC/CC but takes a few hours, so $100+), new ROM ($50).

Plus it is in good condition and 64MB ram.

It just arrived at home today so I haven't play with it yet, but I'll let you know if it lives up to the hype.

I also own SE, CC and LCI/II/III/475. 475 is probably the best working machine I own at the moment, and it is great.

Edited by mwdmeyer, 15 November 2017 - 03:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users