tjjq44

Booting Mac Plus with scsi2sd...

I'm shooting my hair in trying to boot my mac plus from scsi2sd. I googled around and found that nobody had success :(

I tried with many versions of HD SC setup, even the 1.4 from the system 2.0.1 disk... The disk is on the desktop ok but you have to boot from floppy or another boot disk :(

However on the scsi2sd wiki I found that:

http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=SCSI2SD

[12 March 2017]v4.7 New firmware

• Fix bug in SCSI Inquiry command for SCSI2 hosts
  • Added OMTI host quirks mode
  • Fix for booting from early Mac Plus ROMS

What is it for since obviously it doesn't work ?!?

I would highly recommend using this method: http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=HFSFromScratch

You create a virtual Macintosh hard drive on a modern computer using an emulator such as mini v mac and then copy it to the SD card. It is fully bootable before it touches the Mac Plus. This avoids all macintosh-side formatting issues.  I have used it in the past (on a Mac SE and SE30), and have had no problems. The guide is on an obscure page of the Codesrc website -It took me a while to find it initially. 

The instructions will work fine on a Mac even though the guide talks about Linux. Strangely, the instructions leave out some important details such as creating two disk images with the dd command (one for emulation, the other for copying to the SD.) With enough experimenting, it should work.

Hopefully, this will work for your computer! 

yea the SCSI2SD firmware update should have fixed it, otherwise you would have needed the latest ROM to boot. The Plus has 3 different ROM versions and only the latest one had a haphazardly decent implementation of SCSI. 

Edited by techknight

hey guys, I can buy an older SCSI2SD with v4.2 printed on the board for $40. However you dont get to see the old version much often I am curious if it's upgradable to firmware v4.7?

I couldnt find any direct answer online. 

You can down load Lido 7.5.6 for free here:

https://translate.google.com.ec/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.knubbelmac.de%2Fsoftware%2Fwerkzeuge%2F&anno=2

This site is in german.  It is also available in the US, but not sure where.  It will fit on a floppy.  I have been able to use to format different kinds of SCSI2CF and SCSI2SD.

Can you format your sd card?  Or will your tools not even see it?

mraroid

I believe the 8-Bit Guy tried it with his Mac Plus and never got it to work.  It would be interesting if you managed to do so.

That was an SE, and presumably he talked to the guy at Intertial who also couldn't figure out what he did wrong; possibly a bad board.

ok need to confirm it, SCSI2SD v4 is upgradable to fw 4.7.

Can't tell if you're asking, but the wiki says that v4 boards work with firmware v4 but no later.  It's probably a safe assumption that 4.7 falls into the "okay" category.

Have you tried to format the SD card using LIDO 7?

It worked for me.

mraroid

Would be very pleased if you could put a video of your plus booting on scsi2sd on youtube cause even using Lido 7.56 to format my scsi2sd (even with a 40mb drive) it is seen on my plus when booting from floppy but doesn't start by itself... :(

My Plus has "v3" roms

Edited by tjjq44

I'm way late to the party here but  I have a v5.1 with a 2GB card, formatted with Apple HD SC Setup 7.3.5 and then installed 6.0.8 on it. Won't boot. 

Then I did this: http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php/Mac_Plus and it worked.  :) It booted. 

Make sure "Enable Unit Attention" is OFF
Change SCSI Selection Delay to 0
Enable "Respond to short SCSI selection pulses"
Use the latest scsi2sd-util from here http://www.codesrc.com/files/scsi2sd/latest/ to make the changes. 

USB is enough to power it. 

Make sure you first "load device" make changes and then "save device"

The scsi2sd-monitor tool is useful to see if your SCSI is setup correctly. 

On 10/13/2017 at 2:38 PM, tjjq44 said:

Would be very pleased if you could put a video of your plus booting on scsi2sd on youtube cause even using Lido 7.56 to format my scsi2sd (even with a 40mb drive) it is seen on my plus when booting from floppy but doesn't start by itself... :(

My Plus has "v3" roms

I missed this, sorry.  I used Lido 7.56 to format a Scandisk Extream Pro 16 GB CF card:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Compact-Memory-SDCFXPS-016G-X46/dp/B00ECEVE50/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549208416&sr=8-3&keywords=sandisk+extreme+pro+cf+16gb

I made 3 partitions.  I loaded 7.6.1 on one, and 8.1 on the other.  The third is just storage, no OS.  I used it in my Color Classic Mystic. So maybe what I posted will not apply to your Plus.  ???  I was on my third formatting utility when Lido worked for me.  I was quite frustrated trying to format the CF card.  It was a big pain until I found Lido.

mraroid

I'm in same boat. I've read this thread and reformatted with Lido, still not able to boot on the plus. . I can see and transfer back and forth. 
Even loaded Sys 7.1 on to it from a PM8500. Im Stuck.  Should I seek out a newer set of Plus roms?   Iquired via interrupt switch for rom version. an ideas.

IMG_1130.jpg

Did you type the second "DM" command as outlined in that documentation? It looks like you only did the first part. (IE, You've displayed the ROM base, which is the "0040 0000" in the first two code groups. You now need to "DM 400000" to display the beginning of the ROM itself.)

On 10/6/2017 at 4:23 AM, tjjq44 said:

I'm shooting my hair in trying to boot my mac plus from scsi2sd. I googled around and found that nobody had success :(

Have you seen this thread?

I haven’t even had luck with getting LIDO or HD SC Setup to recognize that there’s a SCSI device plugged in. I think there’s something wrong with the way my SCSI2SD is set up or the way my SD card is formatted. How did you format/setup your device in the util program?

8 minutes ago, WakelessFoil said:

I haven’t even had luck with getting LIDO or HD SC Setup to recognize that there’s a SCSI device plugged in. I think there’s something wrong with the way my SCSI2SD is set up or the way my SD card is formatted. How did you format/setup your device in the util program?

Are you providing power to the SCSI2SD? The Plus will not power the SCSI2SD.

There are some photos of the settings I used in the utility program in my posts in the thread referenced above.

Edited by MOS8_030

2 minutes ago, MOS8_030 said:

Are you providing power to the SCSI2SD? The Plus will not power the SCSI2SD.

Yes I have an external Quantum SCSI drive that went bad so I mounted it in the case from the old drive. It has power coming from the power supply in that case and a 50 pin SCSI cable connects it to the DB-25 external cable leading to the Macintosh. 

50 minutes ago, WakelessFoil said:

Yes I have an external Quantum SCSI drive that went bad so I mounted it in the case from the old drive. It has power coming from the power supply in that case and a 50 pin SCSI cable connects it to the DB-25 external cable leading to the Macintosh. 

Have you ever used another external SCSI device with the Plus?

Do you have any other SCSI Macs you can test the SCSI2SD with?

16 minutes ago, MOS8_030 said:

Have you ever used another external SCSI device with the Plus?

Do you have any other SCSI Macs you can test the SCSI2SD with?

Yes several quantum drives have worked on this Mac. I have an SE/30 and another plus I could try it on.

Hello!

Am new to this forum but want to offer my experience with a couple of Mac Pluses and my SCSI2SD v5.0b - bottom line is that both boot absolutely fine from the SCSI2SD into a System 6.0.8 partition of 120Mb that I'd created using the cracked version of Apple HD Setup (the one that can be used with non-Apple disks). The Mac Plus systems boot up from the SCSI2SD in literally 10 seconds! As already covered above, I initially had a few problems which I thought it'd be useful to summarise the solution here:

1) SCSI2SD plugged in but not being recognised (e.g. by SCSI Probe). Symptom was that SCSI probe was saying the SCSI bus wasn't terminated, yet I had the resistor packs plugged into the SCSI2SD & lights on SCSI2SD don't blink.

Solution: ensure (as already noted above!) the SCSI2SD is powered through USB! I didn't have an enclosure, so providing CONTINUOUS power to the microUSB port worked a treat (I used a wall adaptor and USB-> microUSB cable). Powered, the SCSI2SD was recognised by SCSI Probe, and both Mac Pluses that I tried booted straight into the System 6.0.8 partition.

Don't bother with USB power banks, as I found that these power-down due to the low current draw from the SCSI2SD, and they do so at the worst time!

2) Ensure your Mac Plus has the latest v3 ROMs. This means that the "ROM-HI" chip should end in a C (it should be marked 342-0341-C), and the "ROM-LO" chip should end in a B (342-0342-B). The v3 ROM has the best implementation of SCSI for the Mac Plus (though it's still not perfect, hence the SCSI setting tweaks already mentioned:

"Enable Unit Attention" should be OFF
- "SCSI Selection Delay" should be changed to 0 (mine was defaulting to 255)
- "Respond to short SCSI selection pulses" should be ENABLED

Not sure if the SCSI2SD works with v2 and v1 ROMs, but these should be quite rare as they are only likely to be in the earliest Mac Plus machines.

3) If you have multiple partitions / SCSI IDs (I had several with v7.5 and above, which aren't suitable for a 1Mb Mac Plus), then I recommend you use the SCSI2SD utility to disable all except your Mac Plus boot partition - at least until you've finished troubleshooting & have got a working setup.

As an aside, I'm also in the process of recapping the analogue boards of my 240v / International Mac Pluses, and have spent a few hours today to compile an up to date list of capacitor replacements (the previous Excel list from JDW was over 10 years old with a few parts no longer available, and it was for a 120v board where the capacitor listing didn't match). I'll post that separately in case anyone is interested...

Edited by jjclay