Bolle

SE/30 & Micron Xceed & clear plastic goodie

Yeah!  Absolutely magnificent!  Nearing the epoch of SE/30 goodness!  Have you tried the Micron Virtual Video on it?  It surprises me everytime I enable it just how silky smooth it works.

any chance you could make this available as a shared project on osh park?

Is there an easy way to do that without having to sign up with them? Only way to upload something gets me to their PCB order thing unless I am not seeing some hidden Share-your-Design-here-button.

Cooked up a V2 already that does not need any wire jumpers and is completely single layer so everyone can make those easily at home:

post-46-0-21206800-1509485705_thumb.png

I can send the files to everyone who wants them.

Nice work! I'd be interested in the design files for my resolution hack project (PM me?).

I'm curious about the voltage level of the video signal when it arrives from the Micron to this board. Is it more similar to VGA (0.7V) or to the TTL video (5V)? Are you able to measure it with a scope? Thinking ahead to what will be needed to adapt other video sources.

The Micron documents say that the card outputs 0-1V which then is amplified on the neck board to 0-30V.

So this could probably used to get a VGA signal to show at least something on the screen.

You'll have to sign up with them yeah - could just use dummy info I suppose. It really is the best way of getting the design out there though - you can order pcb's shipped worldwide for a couple of bucks - which is way easier and cheaper than making them at home.

From what I gather, it has to be submitted as either:

• an Eagle .brd board file
  • a KiCAD .kicad_pcb board file
  • a .zip file containing Gerber CAM files

Plus there are some guidelines they like you to follow

I've never uploaded a design before - but I've ordered a few PCBs of interesting products from people who have made their designs available (mainly for game consoles) with good results.

Edited by kreats

On 10/1/2017 at 7:06 PM, Bolle said:

post-46-0-99065000-1506876889_thumb.jpg

When ordering PCBs anyways I thought it might be time to polish this up a bit...

From homemade in a kind of period correct style to new and shiny:

IMG_1673.thumb.jpg.3fd5aa0a5d9b6ade08f1c55510c1292e.jpg

IMG_1675.thumb.jpg.a43396e3363c6e4e84fee1f2cbdecd64.jpg

Looks beautiful, I guess I will need one of those clear cases someday...

4.thumb.jpg.e36f7e0298c4d268e49020e306e56ad4.jpg

Edited by Bolle

Sure, here you go. -> Micron_neck_clone.zip

The values and everything match the schematic that's flying around the net from the old Gamba days:

8566974190_e0023a3b17_o.thumb.jpg.21ad4fef8291e8e2c692a63b2511b9ca.jpg

Most parts can be sourced from a donor Apple neck board.

Edit - and in case you need the gerbers: crtneck_gerbers.zip

Edited by Bolle

12 minutes ago, snuci said:

Thank you @Bolle  Much appreciated!

Yes, @Bolle, thanks for the great work!  @snuci if you want I’m thinking about making a small batch for myself (in case I get as lucky as you).   I can send you a free PCB if I do. Would that be helpful?  Looks like the tube connector must be reused.  Though, I wonder if one can be sourced. 

1 minute ago, maceffects said:

Yes, @Bolle, thanks for the great work!  @snuci if you want I’m thinking about making a small batch for myself (in case I get as lucky as you).   I can send you a free PCB if I do. Would that be helpful?  Looks like the tube connector must be reused.  Though, I wonder if one can be sourced. 

@maceffects I was going to look into ordering a small batch for anyone else who might want one too but if you'd like to do it, I'll purchase one of yours.  Thank you.

Just now, snuci said:

@maceffects I was going to look into ordering a small batch for anyone else who might want one too but if you'd like to do it, I'll purchase one of yours.  Thank you.

No worries, I’ll have some extras in case others want some.  My PCB contacts in China have a 1 week lead time plus shipping so it won’t be too long.  I’ll send you a PM when they arrive. 

1 minute ago, maceffects said:

No worries, I’ll have some extras in case others want some.  My PCB contacts in China have a 1 week lead time plus shipping so it won’t be too long.  I’ll send you a PM when they arrive.

I don't have a PCB contact in China so that works for me :)  Thank you!

I just joined the club. I saw the following SE/30 on eBay UK. At first glance, like any other cap- or battery-damaged machine:

s-l1600-3.thumb.jpg.4c3b45eacac9d9ac9c609b30a7d60b27.jpg

But what caught my attention was half of a black DB-15 port, centred in the panel. Radius video cards don't look like that. Could it possibly be...?

s-l1600-4.thumb.jpg.95255b0c89c31c545a238bf8dbf31510.jpg

A 3.5 hour train journey out and back, and this is the result:

IMG_6479.thumb.JPG.3d92dae08648d64857c35662e5d6b9ec.JPG

Success! :smiley:8-) 

The rest of the internals are mostly a write-off. The logic board has been paid a visit by "Maxell's Silver Hammer":

IMG_6481.thumb.jpg.ffb97b850e14ef5fabcec256d4a6228d.jpg

The hard drive ran for about 10 seconds and then entirely stopped responding. I'm not sure the PSU is producing sufficient +5V either. But the Micron card works fine in another SE/30:

IMG_6575.thumb.jpg.3d1d9079b4706fc35dac0c24502ae023.jpg

There was no greyscale adapter in this machine, but by happy coincidence I just got a PCB from @Bolle and hope to build it up soon!

Congrats and welcome to the grayscale (capable) club!  You certainly dodged a bullet with the Maxell explosion as it looks like it didn't affect the card.  I've seen more than a handful of cases where the battery explosion also messed up whatever was PDS card was installed.

And it works! Thanks @Bolle for the PCB. Making the cable harness took longer than populating the PCB.

One thing I've found is that the picture quality is quite sensitive to the Cutoff control on the analog board. In its default setting (pre-greyscale), most shades of grey were nearly black. Adjusting it improves the range of greys, but it's easy to end up with the scan lines visible.

IMG_6254.JPG

Sweet. Good tip on checking the cutoff setting, going to have to do that on mine as I am not 100% pleased with the way darker gray-tones look on medium brightness settings.

1 hour ago, Crutch said:

Don’t forget the pot on the grayscale adapter itself.  Mine looked horribly muddy at any brightness setting until I tweaked that.

Yep absolutely. I installed that pot on the reverse side of the PCB so I could adjust it more easily. It took some back and forth between Cutoff and the PCB pot (basically, video gain) to get a good picture.

Also, I discovered today that A/UX doesn't work with the greyscale harness. The screen goes black when it boots the kernel. Doesn't matter whether I started from 256 greys or B&W. However, with an external monitor attached such that the internal video goes back to the logic board, A/UX works. Anyone had any better luck?