Sign in to follow this  
Cosmo

New Accelerator for Apple II-series soon available!

I AM IN LOVE WITH NINJA FORCE! I AM GETTING THAT 8 MB RAM AND HDD JUST FOR THAT KABOOM GAME HAHAHAH!!

I want to support ninja force and have them release new stuff for the apple //gs! I will donate, anything just to make sure they keep on running!!!!!!!!!!

Apple //gs to me is the true Mac 68k!!!

Just remember one thing about demos: as impressive as they can look they're rarely a good demonstration of what the *realistic* capabilities of the machine actually are; definitely watch and take careful note of the "how they did it" video before getting too excited about what kind of amazeballs video games the IIgs might be capable of. These demos are basically just amazing exercises in coming up with ways to shovel pre-calculated data onto the screen according to an excruciatingly rigid script, while a real video game needs to do a lot more than that.

(Also note that these demos target an 8mhz accelerator, almost three times as fast as the stock machine. I do kind of want to download it and see what it does at 2.8mhz, though, given their talk about the limiting factor for a lot of it is the 1mhz video RAM bus.)

Having lived through owning an 4.77mhz IBM PC for years I feel like I'm pretty sure I have a good idea of what you can reasonably expect from a game written for it, but if I *didn't* know seeing these demos might give me some unrealistic ideas:

(Of note: both of these demos target the original 4.77mhz CPU speed, not an accelerator; the first one is for a *fully* stock computer including the crude single-voice audio, the second one uses a soundblaster card. The 8088 is a *famously* sluggish CPU; reams of Internet paper have been spent arguing over just HOW sluggish compared to various other popular-at-the-time CPUs, but suffice it to say that most people would agree that even at the stock 2.8mhz a IIgs should have at least a moderate advantage over it.)

Just remember one thing about demos: as impressive as they can look they're rarely a good demonstration of what the *realistic* capabilities of the machine actually are; definitely watch and take careful note of the "how they did it" video before getting too excited about what kind of amazeballs video games the IIgs might be capable of. These demos are basically just amazing exercises in coming up with ways to shovel pre-calculated data onto the screen according to an excruciatingly rigid script, while a real video game needs to do a lot more than that.

(Also note that these demos target an 8mhz accelerator, almost three times as fast as the stock machine. I do kind of want to download it and see what it does at 2.8mhz, though, given their talk about the limiting factor for a lot of it is the 1mhz video RAM bus.)

Having lived through owning an 4.77mhz IBM PC for years I feel like I'm pretty sure I have a good idea of what you can reasonably expect from a game written for it, but if I *didn't* know seeing these demos might give me some unrealistic ideas:

(Of note: both of these demos target the original 4.77mhz CPU speed, not an accelerator; the first one is for a *fully* stock computer including the crude single-voice audio, the second one uses a soundblaster card. The 8088 is a *famously* sluggish CPU; reams of Internet paper have been spent arguing over just HOW sluggish compared to various other popular-at-the-time CPUs, but suffice it to say that most people would agree that even at the stock 2.8mhz a IIgs should have at least a moderate advantage over it.)

I agree! But Apple //gs is famous for adventure games and click and play adventure games like king quest etc.

So the only games I want to develop for is very funny, most intensive graphics possible, animated, with hilarious and good stories with seasons and episodes like telltale game did with walking dead, etc, but with style of king quest or space quest. 

I have seeing there is an animation program for apple //gs from ninja force website. I will contact them and see how did they did, I may be able to implement this feature into my games with ability to play audio (voice+music) in the background of the animation for in-game cut scene. I believe apple //gs is superb for adventure games as it can do it just fine.

xboxown: I hate to disappoint you further, but I don't think anyone else has pointed out the fact that the accelerator discussed in the original post of the thread is only compatible with the IIe, not the IIgs. To get a IIgs accelerator, you'll either have to get one of the cloned TransWarp cards from ReactiveMicro or get exceedingly lucky on the used market.

YES!!!  My vigilance has paid off. :D

He had 2 of the 1MB versions in stock.  I snuck in and got one.  They sold out after I check out. :O

1 512KB version still left.

Holy cow those sell fast.  He makes such awesome products, I'm glad he's kept busy trying to keep them in stock. :)