Photo

Wiki/Pages article ideas

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Themk

Themk
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:22 AM

1: I think that parsing the HTML of the old forum will be a lot harder than you think. There are a lot of issues to dealing with it. I also think that integrating it into the new forum is going to be very difficult, without, say, wiping out user accounts. Doing that also puts the "historical context" at the far back of the regular site, which is "fine" (maybe even "ideal") but I think I like it better the way it's presented now.

My idea of databasing the information there was less about integration with the rest of the site, and more about having the data in an alternative format, that would make doing something with it easier in the future.

Macintosh SE SuperDrive, Macintosh SE/30, Apple IIgs ROM3, ImageWriterBanger II.

Currently building the amazing 68040! Performa (Quadra??!!) 638CD gets 40MHz full '040 [;)] , Ethernet, 136MB RAM, AV input card, and maybe something else. Should have performance comparable to the Quadra 840av when done! (A/UX doesn't work, but I still like this little guy right here: [:P] )

#22 Cory5412

Cory5412

Daring Pioneer of the Future

• Administrators
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:03 PM

The format it's already in should be accessible on version 3 and 4 browsers, which is what we used to access the site when it was new and running that software.

The software itself the data was ripped out of should be the version we had when the site was originally installed, which was in 2001.

The SSL is another issue, and the only real way to resolve that would be to change the URL and re-configure the hosting from 68kmla.org/forums/archive to archive.68kmla.org or something like that.

For the time being, I'm presuming that's completely off the table, but once things settle down, it's not too wild a request to make. The infrastructure is already set up for multiple URLs, the DNS change is easy, the files would have to move, and we wouldn't need to get an SSL certificate for it.

#23 IPalindromeI

IPalindromeI
  • Locationwhere pies go when they die

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:51 PM

I mean, you could use either an SSL stripping tunnel or proxy too...
Neat stuff: MacMini1,1 (Core Solo), BlackBerry Q5 (daily driver), Nokia N900, Nokia N800, Asus P2B-D with dual Pentium II 450, 2x ThinkPad 701CS, ++more

#24 Themk

Themk
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:39 PM

SSL certificate for it.

Have you guys considered wildcard SSL, that would allow you to have multiple subdomains under one certificate.

Macintosh SE SuperDrive, Macintosh SE/30, Apple IIgs ROM3, ImageWriterBanger II.

Currently building the amazing 68040! Performa (Quadra??!!) 638CD gets 40MHz full '040 [;)] , Ethernet, 136MB RAM, AV input card, and maybe something else. Should have performance comparable to the Quadra 840av when done! (A/UX doesn't work, but I still like this little guy right here: [:P] )

#25 Cory5412

Cory5412

• Administrators
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:23 AM

I forget what we ended up doing, but either way it's more money. It's not a huge issue, but it does add up. (If, for example, we keep the site running another 17 years.)

I don't remember why we aren't on Let's Encrypt. Probably because our infrastructure is based on freebsd and the Let's Encrypt people actively dislike everything except for Debian and Arch linux, including anything RPM-based.

#26 joethezombie

joethezombie
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:18 AM

If, for example, we keep the site running another 17 years.

Here, let me fix that for you...

As, for example, we keep the site running another 17 years.

Apple: ][+, //c, IIgs, Macintosh, SE, SE/30, IIfx, IIsi, Q700, Color Classic + //e, MacTV, 6100 DOS, 8100/110, ANS700/200, G3 AiO, G4 DP500, PowerBook G4
Commodore: 64C, 128D, Amiga 500, Amiga 3000

#27 Themk

Themk
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:42 AM

To be honest, the homepage of Let's Encrypt has "LINUX FOUNDATION" written on the top of it, it's not a huge surprise that they are anti freebsd.

At some point, if the current admins are unable to maintain the site, than perhaps a pass down to a new administration team that is capable would be good to do, continuing on the next generation of the 68kmla. Obviously that is not on anybody's radar right now, as such a thing is highly unlikely to happen in the next few years.

#28 MidnightCommando

MidnightCommando
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:04 PM

For what it's worth, there are now several guides on using Let's Encrypt with FreeBSD. It's not the nuisance it used to be.

https://oddball.tech/ is running on lighttpd + freebsd/ppc and uses Let's Encrypt for SSL certificates. It also plays nicely with Classilla, so that's good. 

(Don't mind the landing page, if you actually go look, I haven't got anything fancier ready for public consumption yet.) 

Edited by MidnightCommando, 15 July 2017 - 09:05 PM.

«Hrm, I wonder what this wire does... *kzrrrt*»
... This warning brought to you by the Horst Burkhardt initiative for Not Frying Your Compact Mac (or yourself.)

Avatar courtesy of [wiki]User:Mars478[/wiki] based on minordetail's "Finder icon"

#29 Blastoise1994

Blastoise1994
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:23 AM

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet or not, but I think hosting tutorials on how to repair and/or upgrade your Macs on the wiki could be a good idea. I'd be willing to write up a few on the G3 Clamshell.

#30 Cory5412

Cory5412

• Administrators
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:31 PM

Unrelated update: We (the admins) can enable or disable HTML posting per groups. I was able to add, then edit, an HTML table in an article. The markup is a little weird, but perhaps that's just new HTML.

I'll have to run this by the rest of the mods/admins, but my thought here is that either we (the mods/admins) can clean up and amend tables in articles, or we can create a user group of wiki authors/editors who have this permission. (Probably along with some other permissions, such as approving article submissions, etc.)

It's not a permission level that the software appears comfortable with allowing to everybody.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users