Macsimus

SE/30 8/159 - $100 on eBay

I picked up this one over the weekend:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222486106965

It just arrived today, and it's as advertised: nice bright screen, clear sound, very few blemishes with mild yellowing, booted right up.

The only drawback I found is apparently the floppy drive was replaced at some point with an 800K drive. At least, the Finder gives me no option to format a high-density disk as 1.4MB. I'm not terribly bothered by that, though. I can get a replacement drive later.

I find it odd that I was the only bid. No one else was even watching it. Was $100 + $75 shipping enough to scare away people? Seemed like a decent deal to me.

If you're happy, it was a great deal, don't second guess yourself and certainly don't open the discussion up to the nay-saying bottom feeders in the peanut gallery. Congrats and enjoy!

Nice! I don't think it is a bad deal at all. Shipping the compacts is notoriously difficult, so $75 is okay there. $100 bought you Apple Extended Keyboard, Programmers Switch, and a SE/30 with okay caps (sound works). Sorry to tell you, but if its never been re-capped, you should think about re-capping. Bottom feeders of course always want everything as cheap as possible, but it looks like you are happy, and even to a bottom-feeder that would be a pretty good deal.

Edited by Themk

For the overall condition of the unit, I do think I got a good deal. Compare with:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-APPLE-MACINTOSH-SE-30-COMPUTER-M5119-WORKS-/292095695658

I wouldn't pay $230 + $110 shipping, yet 15 people are watching that one and none tracked mine despite being essentially the same bundle. Maybe it's out of morbid curiosity...  ;D

I totally expected a re-capping will be needed for mine. I went through that with my Quadra 840av, but it's totally worth it. That machine runs like a champ.

People watch some auctions with no intent to buy at that price just to see if it sells, or if it gets lowered in price the next go around.

There is no set pricelist on 68K gear, they sell for whatever somebody wants to pay the day the auction ends. Prices do seem to be going up.

. a WORKING se/30 for that??!?!?! Thats crazy!

Eh, I would say a lot are still working, with the caveat that they ALL need re-capping if if hasn't been done yet.

I probably have that much into mine after a recap and the Ethernet card (if it works) is probably worth what I paid for the whole unit...

This is literally 8 miles from my house!  Why didn't I see it?!? :)

Sorry Schafeman, I saw it but didn't bid since I'm full up of SE/30s. I'll pass along any I see in future. Us Minnesotans gotta stick together!

It looks to be a SE upgraded to SE/30. The label has a copyright date of 1990 on it, the socketed version had been discontinued by then. Still could have a socketed board, but I'm not thinking its very likely.

Edited by Themk

It looks to be a SE upgraded to SE/30. The label has a copyright date of 1990 on it, the socketed version had been discontinued by then. Still could have a socketed board, but I'm not thinking its very likely.

Huh. That could explain the 800K drive, then...

That would indeed explain the 800K drive. AFAIK, the official SE/30 upgrade kit didn't come with a new 1.44MB floppy drive.

It was an optional extra I think... This Mac started out in life as a Dual Floppy SE in 1988 and was built in Fremont, CA. So yeah 800k drive.

The rear sticker came with the upgrade and what's particularly interesting to note is that apparently, all SE/30 upgrade stickers are the same and they all say 'assembled in Ireland' although it's completely untrue in this case...

The bezel is not as discoloured as the bucket, that would suggest a rather late upgrade, so I think it has a soldered CPU... but you can never be sure until you pop it open!  ;)

Nice find! 

The rear sticker came with the upgrade and what's particularly interesting to note is that apparently, all SE/30 upgrade stickers are the same and they all say 'assembled in Ireland' although it's completely untrue in this case...

Yeah, assuming the computer has never left the U.S. since the day it rolled off the assembly line, it is entirely incorrect. (Should say Made in or Assembled in U.S.A.) I don't fully understand why that is, perhaps some parts came from Cork, Ireland, but considering that Apple was making tons of mac parts over here, I am a little surprised as to why they would do that. Idk.

It seems a little odd that the previous owner went on vacation in Europe and had the SE upgraded while he or she was there... 

Maybe all upgrade kits came from Cork? Who knows. I have never seen that sticker with "Made in the USA" printed on it yet.

Maybe they all did, that would be interesting though. I see no reason why they wouldn't have been sourced from Fremont, CA as well, all of the parts that make up the upgrade kit were also manufactured there. Perhaps there is a SE/30 upgrade kit out of Fremont, in that case it probably ships with the label used for the original manufacture of SE/30s there, but who knows.

P.S. How many compacts (percentage idea?) in Europe are from Fremont, CA. I know the majority are probably from Cork, Ireland.

All the 128ks, the 512ks, some 512kes and that's it. The rest was made in Cork or in Singapore.

I'd say 30% of all Classic and Classic IIs out there were made in Singapore. All Pluses, SEs and SE/30s were made in Cork. Actually IIRC I did see a Singapore-made SE/30 a couple of years ago but that is very rare (for the European market I mean)!

Things are very different on the other side of the Atlantic.

Edit: forgot about the Lisa and the XL... All of them were made in Ireland as far as I know.

Edited by BadGoldEagle

Here the vast majority came out of Fremont, CA. You see some Singapore-built Classics and Classic IIs, but everything else is pretty much made in Fremont (With the exception of some SE/30s that came from Singapore, but I would say most SE/30s here are from Fremont). I have seen a couple of Cork, Ireland built units here though.

Weren't all Classic and Classic IIs bezels made in Singapore? I just took two apart today, both of them were made in Ireland according to the sticker but both have Singapore-made bezels... That's odd.

Man, I'd love to get my hands on a US made SE Superdrive. This model is quite rare over here (You do see a lot of FDHDs though). And it seems all of them were made in the US and only came with Astec PSUs.

On the subject of PSUs, 98% of SE-SE/30s here have Sony PSUs. 

Weren't all Classic and Classic IIs bezels made in Singapore? I just took two apart today, both of them were made in Ireland according to the sticker but both have Singapore-made bezels

Yes they were all made in Singapore. Here in the U.S.A., most of those machines were imported as complete units from Singapore, where as in Europe, the parts were imported into Ireland, where they were then assembled into complete units. Some Ireland-assembled units made it to the U.S. though. AFAIK, no Classic or Classic II was built in Fremont, CA.

On the subject of PSUs, 98% of SE-SE/30s here have Sony PSUs.

I can't tell if the consensus is that the Sony PSU is better, or the Astec PSU is better. Some people like the look of the Astec better as its power switch is platinum, where as the Sonys all have black power switches I think.

Man, I'd love to get my hands on a US made SE Superdrive. This model is quite rare over here (You do see a lot of FDHDs though). And it seems all of them were made in the US and only came with Astec PSUs.

My SE SuperDrive came with a Sony PSU, but I think you are correct to say they were all made in the U.S.A. Personally, I like my Fremont, CA made Macs. It is the site of where the original Macintosh was built, not to mention the quality of the products were good too (not that Cork was any lower quality).

Someone over here could easily get you an American-made SE SuperDrive, but shipping across the Atlantic might be a little intense (unless the price tag is of no object).

Edited by Themk

Yeah, all Sony PSUs have the black switch and plug (except if it was replaced...)

Two of my Macs (the 128k and the 512k Hyperdrive) were made in Fremont and I'm proud of that. Cork built machines are very well built too. But the Fremont plant has so much history behind it, it was so advanced for its time! 

I try to avoid the Singapore Macs. These were built on the cheap. In fact the only question I asked the sellers when I bought my Classic and my Classic II was "Was it made in Ireland or Singapore?" lol.

I never left Europe, but I plan to visit the States some time in the future. Maybe I'll bring a Superdrive back with me, who knows?