ktkm

3D-printed Casing for LCD Panel?

Hello,

I bought this display on ebay, since I sometimes want something less bulky than a 13" CRT to hook-up with my IIcx. It arrived last week and works just as promised. But it would be nice (and practical) to design some kind of casing that better mimics the Snow White theme?

Suggestions on how to pull this off is truly appreciated!  :)

/Kristian

You're welcome, the raised case back made perfect sense to me for your controller box. How closely do the Macintosh IIcx and Apple IIc form factors match up?

LOL! Thanks to your post, now I'm off on an Apple IIc tangent. Apple IIc VGA and related peripheral hacking silliness.

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

You're welcome, the raised case back made perfect sense to me for your controller box. How closely do the Macintosh IIcx and Apple IIc form factors match up?

LOL! Thanks to your post, now I'm off on an Apple IIc tangent. Apple IIc VGA and related peripheral hacking silliness.

Well, I would say they are pretty close, with the went-stripes and rounded edges. Perhaps making two versions -- Fog and Platinum?

I'd say shoot for a tone in between the two, but closer to platinum. You'll NEVER get a perfect color match without paint and even that's difficult aside from the irritating fact that all computers are a different tint of the color platinum or fog or beige or whatever came off the injection molding machine at birth.

See if you can crib some design cues from this cute little number  .  .  .

AppleIIcModel-600x426.jpg

.  .  .  .  which was borrowed for the Teddy Top project and is available there for download.

You've caught my fancy with this notion, I've got some 3D images for an LCD in Faux//c case hack flipping about in the back of my head.  [:)]]'> 

What might work is buying an Apple CRT (preferably a non-working one), then just using the front bezel.  You'd then only need to worry about the rear of the LCD panel.

One problem is that it wouldn’t fit neatly to the front due to the curved CRT opening.

I'd say shoot for a tone in between the two, but closer to platinum. You'll NEVER get a perfect color match without paint and even that's difficult aside from the irritating fact that all computers are a different tint of the color platinum or fog or beige or whatever came off the injection molding machine at birth.

See if you can crib some design cues from this cute little number  .  .  .

AppleIIcModel-600x426.jpg

.  .  .  .  which was borrowed for the Teddy Top project and is available there for download.

You've caught my fancy with this notion, I've got some 3D images for an LCD in Faux//c case hack flipping about in the back of my head.  [ :)

I think you’re right. Grey and halftones are the hardest colours to match. Probably best to leave color out for now.

Front bezel is the easiest part and flat, no curvature correction necessary. LCD correctness would be the point of going with the IIc panel model.

I agree.

Thanks for link!

Well, you may not need to 3D print anything.  If you get a piece of plastic, you could CNC mill it for a lot less.  Then paint it.

That is true, and a really good option. I think I even might try that first! :)

Milling clear plexi would be ideal. ;)

That would also match with my FloppyEmu ;)

I found my plexi bender. Gotta see if it works. Really old school from long before I finished up my apprenticeship in a 50 year old sign shop. It's got the period correct asbestos bed and everything. Still not friable, so it's safe enough to keep around. I'm hoping the heating wire is still good.

I need to see how case corner bends look when bent on a routed V groove. The pet IIfx is going to have a customized clear lid lavished upon it one day. I'll be practicing on Compact buckets in the mean time, gotta love all those complex bends. [:)]]'>

No logos involved for either project luckily. None on the Compact buckets and none on the IIfx topper. The IIfx will have a wider "floppy" groove for Zip compatibility behind what's now a cover and the side will have a slot for my stealth trayloader hack  .  .  .

post-902-0-53402100-1493229354_thumb.jpg

.  .  .  finished this post in the original thread, had to re-post the AWOL piccie anyway: IIfx-ClearLidHack™

Well, I’m back after some modeling in AutoCAD. Next step would be to mill or print? I’d really like to come in contact with someone who has done this sort of thing before and could give me some exclusive advice.

If anyone would like to try printing or milling (no guarantees)? Please help your self to the .STL files!

Thanks,

Kristian

post-6617-0-97560600-1494445798_thumb.png

post-6617-0-67732900-1494445802_thumb.png

Monitor_chassi.zip

Thanks! I’m currently working on the kickstand but I think it would require a VGA ribbon cable of some sort, any ideas where to find one?

post-6617-0-79219400-1494659970_thumb.png

post-6617-0-67235600-1494659974_thumb.png

Use ribbon cable and solder cup terminated HD-15 connectors. You might want to use a bit wider cable. Dunno how it works out, but make sure you've got alternating ground lines between all signals.

p.s. don't forget the Snow White grooves on the backside. ;)

edit: you might want to consider burying the the cable and VGA adaptation inside the case and running the ribbon to a DA-15 connector for the Mac Also, if you can find the twisted pair version od IDC ribbon cable, it may help with the RFI antenna transmission aspects of exposed ribbon cable.

*(%^&$ page return continuity interruptions! :p

post-902-0-78524900-1494714527.jpgPic above is an enlarged hinge section with a hardwired/strain relieved axial VGA cord connection. Thought of it because the shielded ribbon cable of the original would likely prove to be unobtanium. I used to have a roll of 50 wire shielded ribbon, but it's long gone.

Lots of great reference pics of the //c original: http://www.ebay.com/itm/222374236556

I've been mulling over the notion of an adapter box for the back my pet IIfx or the back of any a Mac case. The PCB would have thru-holes for positioning the DA-15 on all four sides so the box can be built for mounting vertically or horizontally in either direction. It would have provision for hardwiring a cable with an S-Video connector to tap its power from ADB. I doubt you could run your LCD from ADB, but the proposed box would have provisions for a jack to hook in any given wall wart and provide provide lines to run power into your enclosure across unused/re-purposed lines on the shielded, round VGA cable.

The  LCD cable would be hardwired with the DA-15 connections being a proper A/B switch to run a second Mac or a PC off the LCD. Dunno, still thinking it over.

How's you modeling coming along?

Pretty good, thanks for asking! :)

I actually printed a full scale model in polymer (nylon) that took 27 hours. The kick-stand and some other details had too wait (too expensive). And I have yet to make a documentation. I’ll post some pictures as soon as my vacation starts in a week.

It has been a while, and I have almost forgotten about the project. I made some wrong calculations regarding the mounting, so I have to do some filing and fiddling. The kick-stand was too advanced and expensive for me at this point, since this is my first print-out ever. But here are some pictures!

Please, tell me what you think. :)

LCD-chassi_prototype-001.jpg

LCD-chassi_prototype-002.jpg

LCD-chassi_prototype-003.jpg

LCD-chassi_prototype-004.jpg

LCD-chassi_prototype-005.jpg

LCD-chassi_prototype-006.jpg

LCD-chassi_prototype-007.jpg

LCD-chassi_prototype-008.jpg

LCD-chassi_prototype-009.jpg

LCD-chassi_prototype-010.jpg