Sign in to follow this  
Johnnya101

PowerMac 7100 vs 7200 vs Performa 638

I like the PowerMac 7100; PPC, but with NuBus!!!

In the event of you selling the Performa 638; if you are able to offer me a good deal, I will bite!

Edited by Themk

The 7200 is crippled in my eyes because it does not have a processor slot but a soldered on CPU. The 7100 has PDS for CPU expansion and as you stated a better looking metal case vs. spindler plastics on the 7200.

If you want a faster PCI machine go for a 7300/7600 if you want to stay with desktop machines.

Also Nubus on the 7100 }:)

Edited by Bolle

I agree, the 7200 is the machine to ditch since the only CPU upgrade for it was the prohibitively expensive/hard to find Sonnet Crescendo/7200.  Think the Crescendo G3 L2/500MHz (TAM CPU upgrade) is hard to find?  The 7200 upgrade is even worse, likely (I'm guessing) because instead of upgrading 7200s people just replaced the motherboards with one from a 73/75/7600 and took advantage of their easy to find/cheap upgrades.

Now between a PM7100 and a Performa 638 I'd go with the 7100 since you've got it all: easy/inexpensive CPU upgrades, a solid RAM ceiling, a case that won't splinter to pieces, and a unique boot chime.

I'm (most likely) buying the 638CD. Also, the 638CD is LC040, so I will have to buy a full '040

Edited by Themk