Sign in to follow this  
beddy

My screen is blue (Radius Pivot SE/30)

LOL! I'd typed this earlier and forgotten to hit post.

Doesn't sound to me like you have any need for drivers at all with your card, it's a hardware problem.

You've got to find some way to adapt your card's Cable to the VGA interface which ties the Red & Green lines to the Blue(only) output of your Monochrome Card per Themke's suggestion and your MonoBlues will go away.

It's too bad the VRAM bump only takes you from 2bit to 4bit grayscale. Make sure you're set to Grayscale and not Color in the Monitors Control Panel, you'll see the difference.

Ok I understand ! No driver for this card ! 

it's monochrome card. 

Monitors settings is GrayScale in 16 levels now. 

But my screen still blue. 

I gonna use this solution perform my hack, which fixes the blue screen of confusion problem   

have a nice day 

Tks for your help

Trash, are you 1000% sure your card is color? I can't see a damn difference between yours and mine and the ones on google images.

I'm sure about nothings :)

some screenshots about my hardware 

Ed 

post-9128-0-32432900-1490951230_thumb.jpg

post-9128-0-86637100-1490951240_thumb.jpg

post-9128-0-26351400-1490951248_thumb.jpg

post-9128-0-59215400-1490951256_thumb.jpg

post-9128-0-74095500-1490951263_thumb.jpg

post-9128-0-54252800-1490951275_thumb.jpg

post-9128-0-86939800-1490951281_thumb.jpg

post-9128-0-92368900-1490951289_thumb.jpg

Trash, are you 1000% sure your card is color? I can't see a damn difference between yours and mine and the ones on google images.

Pretty dang sure:

1/ it says COLORPIVOT on the ROM sticker

2/ gives me the choice of colors or grayscale in the Monitors Control Panel

3/ I can see a distinct difference between the "blocks of 256 blues" in the control panel's sample bar when it's set to color

4/ I can see a very smooth gradation when it's set to 256 Grays "BlueScale"

5/ my card looks NOTHING like the cards in these pics

I'll take a pic, but I thought we'd already had one up of the Color Pivot card for the SE/30?

edit: too many related threads, gimme a placemarker link to the pic of yours here.

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

A photo would be nice, as well as an entry into NuBus Mafia. (If you want to)

All of these related threads seem to be bringing up the same points, over and over again.

Edited by Themk

Mine does not say Color Pivot on the ROM sticker... BUT it lets me choose between 256 grays (blues) or 256 colors (blues)

SO confusing.

Mine looks like beddy's card. I think that's definitely the monochrome card.

Edit: found picture of Color SE/30 Pivot:

post-1378-0-78721700-1474146828_thumb.jp

Edited by BadGoldEagle

Yup that's it. Not sure you can toggle between greys and colours in your monitors control panel-- starting to think the toggle doesn't matter.

post-902-0-65978700-1490978950_thumb.jpg

Here's a quick one of my card and also showing the female header connector type that'll be used for fabricating cables. I think shorter versions are used for mounting Arduino shields and the like.

All of these related threads seem to be bringing up the same points, over and over again.

Yep, there's a "rarely ending" series of interrelated posts about most anything if you dig back far and wide enough into the archives. Some make for happy endings.

quick test: if you toggle between colors and grays, does the sample bar underneath change at all?

quick test: if you toggle between colors and grays, does the sample bar underneath change at all?

I know this is not quite what you are looking for, but if I select "millions" in the greys section on my 24-bit colour VidCard, the bar will still be colour, while the UI will go to greyscale. On the lower options, changing between colour and greys will change the bar at the bottom to one that has many shades of grey. Edited by Themk

Yep, there's a "rarely ending" series of interrelated posts about most anything if you dig back far and wide enough into the archives. Some make for happy endings.

Yes in color mode i have not grade of colors juste a palette (of what i don't know, everything are blue :) )

Most curious, when I toggle my COLORPIVOT 030 card between grays and colors it goes from shaded blues to a checkerboard of blues. Your Grayscale version is apparently behaving the same way as mine if I'm reading you correctly?

Can anyone else with the Grayscale Pivot 030 confirm this behavior?

I need to find out which driver kicks my card from its Blue Screen of Confusion into color mode. My first guess is that while the two cards look entirely different to the eye, they could be sharing much the same hardware and firmware if not identical components. That would explain the odd behavior exhibited by both cards and the need to run a driver to flip the COLORPIVOT from its default Blue line only output to full-on RGB output.

If that's the case, it might be possible to piggyback the additional four VRAM sticks implemented on my COLORPIVOT onto the Grayscale Pivot's VRAM to achieve the fully smooth 256 level "gray" banding I'm seeing. Given that component level similarity, I'd almost bet the 256 level option will pop right up just as you can make the 16 level option appear and disappear by changing you configuration between two sticks and four.

Given the two ZIP sockets, could this VRAM piggybacking hack be as simple as designing a six stick card to plug into those two sockets and adding patch wires for the additional four bits of addressing?

Almost time for work, but gotta get this posted:

It looks like the hack MIGHT be even easier than described! Could someone buzz the connections between the VRAM ZIP sockets and the 14pin DIP socket next to the soldered VRAM? I'll bet a lot of them are in common.

edit: maybe not doesn't seem near enough lines  .  .  .  they might be the additional lines needed to be added to the ZIP sockets or all four IC positions for an eight stick daughtercard? The two boards are year or less apart, looks like the GP030 might have been an almost fully functional "early release" form subset of the planned CP030.

Check the specs on the standard(?) socketed (BIG) IC and the Bt IC. If the latter is the same on the two cards we've got a shot. Looks like the several standard GAL ICs were condensed into the ASIC above the VRAM on my card and that Radius switched to their own ASIC to replace the standard part socketed onto the Grayscale Pivot 030.

TTFN :ph34r:

. . . If so, then line 3 in each chip listing is the date code (doesnt matter), and the 2nd and 4th lines are probably something to do with revisions, maybe some other misc info on the chip.... This means that the GS pivot has a color capable DAC!!! (Because the ICs are the same)

Wondering what, if any, pins are left N/C on the GS Pivot.

Edited by Themk

8bit RAMDAC, has a 256 (colors OR grays?) level CLUT or some such.

Means it might be possible to double up the VRAM of the GP030 in order to get continuous tone grayscale (8 bit) out of these 2/4bit cards. Not a clue as to how to go about it. Looked like almost too strong a family resemblance to be chance at first glance. Figured they were developing both cards almost simultaneously and that the GP030 card is a sub-set of the more refined CP030 version, sharing components and general board design. Seems to have been a good guess so far, but not my hack unless one of these lands in my lap and not up to it even if, unless it is as simple as just slapping together an 8 stick VRAM array.

Fascinating stuff though.

Ya RAMDAC. Been typing all of these posts on my phone recently-on vacation; leads to some shorting.

I hope thst eddy fixes his MonoBlues, so he can enjoy extra pixels on the SE/30.

Intrested in what we can hack up. The large AMD chip seems like an FPGA(even exist back then?) or at least some sort of PAL/GAL. Looks like Radius combined that and a couple other chips into their own ASIC for the colorpivot.

Hello ! 

I'm back :)

After many readings and your answers. I know my card is in grayscale. To no longer have a blue screen, I connect the red, green and blue outputs together. And I get a nice picture in gray level. But I still have a problem.

As you can see I miss a part of the picture on the left. It is not a problem of adjustment of the screen (size, position, etc ...). It is the card that generates this signal. If I move a window to the left part missing the horizontal area becomes darker.

On the Finder, if i select a white background all screen with Desktop Background control becomes darker. for others pattern some time is darker or not.

Have you an idea ?

tks

Ed  

post-9128-0-43032500-1492018544_thumb.jpg

post-9128-0-77375400-1492018559_thumb.jpg

Looks like you've got Portrait/FPD res. on a TPD screen streeeeetch going on from the distortion. Set up your VGA adapter to give you 16" resolution output and see if that oval pops back into its circular format and your HDD icon no longer looks like it was smashed with a frying pan in a cartoon.

Artifacts might just disappear as well.

edit: definitely streeeeeeetched out, the bounding boxes of the tool icons are supposed to be squares. You pivot card thinks your monitor is in Portrait mode. ;)

Here's a demo shot of PortraitSTREEEEETCH. Sorry it's not better, but it does the job well enough, so I'm not setting up for a mulligan.

post-902-0-15222700-1492371509_thumb.jpg

The screenshot on the SE/30 shows the undistorted VRAM dump and the RAMDAC's notion of what it's trying to display.

Not your card, his is the Radius Color Pivot 030 running in grayscale before loading its driver  .  .  .

.  .  .  never mind  .  .  .  the cable's missing one borked line and it's complicated  .  .  .  I haven't got a clue about the cause, but if someone knows the EXACT driver that fixes this very strange behavior and kicks its reluctant ass into color mode, please let me know.

Snagged an example of your card and finally got the very first sign of life out of it after many tries across three displays. This one is a lot more strange than the PortraitSTREEEEECH! 8-o

HEH! Beat the edit timeout! [:)]]'>

post-902-0-39371500-1492374600_thumb.jpg