Sign in to follow this  
Scott Baret

Software Haul!!

Hit the jackpot as far as software goes....all of this came today:

* New in box Sensei Geometry program. I loaded it onto my LC to try it out before I use it with the kids. The slider on the disk was frozen shut; I was able to get it unstuck and the program copied fine, but as soon as the copy was finished, the LC informed me there was a disk error and I couldn't continue. Better make a backup right now!!

* A 10 user license of ClarisWorks!! My kiddos can do some word processing in my mini-lab now on a more grown-up program, rather than use Kid Works or Print Shop!! There can also be some good spreadsheet lessons involved, all of which can transfer to a newer program in terms of skill set.

* A copy of FileMaker Pro and another MacWrite II. Not sure what I'll use the former with yet but I'm sure I'll find something! The latter is one I really like for its key features and lack of bloat.

What machines do you have in your "mini lab"? ClarisWorks/AppleWorks is still one of my favorite programs out there. Was really bumed when Apple killed it after AppleWorks 6.

Edited by Themk

Ah, the mini-lab! This is the one I take on the road to use with kids, either individually or in groups. I usually pull ten out of the following lot: five SEs, two Classics, three LCs/LC IIs, two LC 500s, a IIci, and an SE/30.

I always liked WriteNow!    Mainly because it would let me write silently with the HDD on my PB165/PB180 spun down.   It would only spin up when I saved the file.   

The Draw module in ClarisWorks is great for doing flow charts and various other diagrams too.

In third grade, I remember my puzzled teacher asking why I was using Draw for the creative writing assignment instead of a word processor. When I showed her my ideas typed inside little boxes and how I could move them around on a line showing the story's progression, and move ideas I wasn't sure about off the line to use later, she was hooked.

I love the draw module (also MacDraw). You just gave me a great idea for electronic graphic organizers!!

I use the draw module for geometry sometimes, although that new Broderbund/Sensei program should be even better there!!