AlpineRaven

Mac Portable - Conner 40SC HDD - have I destroyed it?

Good evening all, 

I obtained 2 Macintosh Portables this week, been working on it - got new battery fitted etc...

Since the language was Turkish (previous owner was Turkish)

I wanted to install fresh system on it, so I used System 7.1 Disk Tools to format the HDD - didn't realise I might have made a big mistake for it, some how formatting failed. I tried to format under System 6.0.4 - still failed.

Does that mean Ive destroyed the internal HDD? It was working perfectly before I formatted it.

What other options should I do - find another conner HDD - swap boards over, and put it in Macintosh ie. Classic/SE etc and try format it?

Or another formatting program should I use?

Would prefer to leave as original as much I can.

Cheers

AP

Lido or the Original Apple HD SC should work fine.

Replacing the System and Finder with your own ones is the easy way to get a local install. 

Just remember, it's spinning rust. It will fail eventually.

Formatting failed sounds like it's a bad drive to start with. It'd be pretty hard to kill a drive with format alone unless the drive was already on the way out.

HD SC setup is REALLY picky about how it fails drives. It basically formats the whole thing at one go so when it finds a questionable cylinder it doesn't allocate spares or mark it bad. It just fails the whole drive.

Apple's later Drive Setup is much better at doing far more generous formats where it just formats a bit of space at the beginning and the end of the partition, sets a label and mounts it.

Melbourne

Cheers

AP

Hi - Melbourne here too :)

I'd try formatting the drive with LIDO, it tends to be a bit more forgiving on flaky hard disks

Hello, did you solve this issue? My hard drive also was working normally before I formatted it. I tried LIDO, FWB, drive7, HD SC..., it failed as well.

On 2/26/2019 at 5:30 AM, ejlml said:

Hello, did you solve this issue? My hard drive also was working normally before I formatted it. I tried LIDO, FWB, drive7, HD SC..., it failed as well.

Yeah I recovered it. I managed to find another 40mb conner HDD with 50pin SCSI and swapped the board over, and plugged it in normal Macintosh and re-formatted as normal.

I learnt that you have to use System Software 6.0.4 Apple SC formatter util as its specific version for Portable and Ive formatted by using this version.

Cheers

AP

On 3/4/2019 at 6:55 PM, AlpineRaven said:

Yeah I recovered it. I managed to find another 40mb conner HDD with 50pin SCSI and swapped the board over, and plugged it in normal Macintosh and re-formatted as normal.

I learnt that you have to use System Software 6.0.4 Apple SC formatter util as its specific version for Portable and Ive formatted by using this version.

Cheers

AP

Oh, thanks! Fortunately, I’ve the green label Conner 40mb also, which macintosh did you plugged in? For internal or external?