Trash80toHP_Mini

IIsi PowerCache TwinSlot Adapter - Cloning Project

I hope I haven't offended you in any way, nick. Sincerest apologies if I have. I could really use those buzzed connections you offered to do between the GAL pins and the two slots on your adapter. Things are suddenly moving along quite nicely in other lines of investigation:

LCIII PDS <-> IIc iCache <-> IIsi PDS in column look see . . .

Offshoot topic from that investigation: Little help? Got IIsi, Vidcard & TattleTech . . .

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

Oh sorry, not offended, just had a busy week and was asking around to see if anyone I knew could do it. Great to see your investigations progressing at such a rate. I am definitely open to getting this Micromac IIsi adapter buzzed so you can recreate the traces. I'm hesitant to have the chip removed and socketed, for aforementioned reasons - if there's ways to just put a clip on it to figure it out, that'd be better, or just have that done on the TwinSpark GAL.

Whats the next step? Are there people near near San Francisco that can do this, or do I need to mail it?

Also I do have that Daystar IIcx passive adapter as well if that aids in this. Some scorch marks on it (above a bad cap?) but traces look intact- can't verify though as I have no IIcx.

post-2093-0-36393200-1489820861_thumb.jpg

Hey, thanks for the pic, looks like it might be yet another anomaly. Does the IIcx adapter have a socket for the MoBo's 68030 on the other side? I don't see what should be obvious evidence of the socket for it, very strange. I remembered mine being passive, but never took note of the details of the setup. I just bought the ones I could get inexpensively during Shreve's massive clearance sale in case I ever found a PowerCache or as cheap sources of connectors in the case of the passive LCIII versions.

Lately I've been hoping that the GAL on the IIx adapter will be all we need, that's another gut reaction without any real substantiation. I didn't see any obvious reason it shouldn't, but that IIcx anomaly has got me wondering a little bit about it. If you can buzz the connections for me there's no need to take/send your adapter anywhere at this time. I should work at recruitment for that end of the project, but it looks like I may have one volunteer for doing the firmware dirty work. If I'm even up to it at all, that's going to be one tough row to hoe, the more I read about it, the more I think it's best to hand that entire process off to someone competent, but it's way fun to learn about it!

If you can peek well enough from the sides to see where some of the individual traces passing underneath might be meeting/missing thruhole pads of the chip's legs that'll help a lot.

Thanks for the encouragement, it has been an exciting few days, so much so I'll be taking another step or two back to mull things over, that first fresh look proved fruitful indeed. The IIsi is such a marvelous kluge of features and odd characteristics of the Mac II line. Its parents, the SE/30 and IIci are the most curious branches of that family tree, so I guess it's no wonder I'm continually amazed by it. Gotta love that pop-up/disappearing Video Subsystem, without a monitor hooked up it's like it isn't even there!

No socket on the IIcx adapter, it just wires up the 68030 straight to a powercache slot. I bought it with a daystar 68030/50 board (the 'P33' labeled variety, the one that works directly in IIci). Attached is photo of other side.

Despite my strong interest in the hacks space, I'm a total electronics noob and can't do buzzing myself. But I can take photos and ship things places :D Let me know best way to proceed.

post-2093-0-89634800-1489882678_thumb.jpg

8-o WOW! That's incredibly helpful. I can't believe your GAL is socketed! If you could remove the GAL and determine which of the traces underneath detour and connect to its pins and which traces pop back out from it in either direction it would be a tremendous help. Buzzing the connections would be awsome!  ;D  

Dang! Spent too much time editing and hit the wrong key combo to copy that work before trying to post it.

Summary:

It would be the dots at both ends of the red traces that need to be connected to something. After that we need to buzz the rest of the signal connections on several adapters for confirmation of what the heck is going on in all these different programmable logic ICs. First step will be to test the IIx GAL on a prototyping board.

post-902-0-53097100-1485883247.jpg

This is not my project! I said in the beginning, I'm trying to jump start completion of Gamba and company's DayStar adapter cloning project. This iteration of that quest is an open source endeavor. I've been begging for help all along and now that it looks like we may be getting down to the nitty gritty, others are going to need to step in to take over the parts of the project that I'm not equipped or competent to do if we're going to get 'er done. :rambo:

edit: I've neglected to mention that in my GAL research, I'm pretty sure I've discovered some dirty tricks that can be used to make a GAL's logic table unrecoverable by any means. If this were a commercial venture I'd definitely use them and I'm all but certain somebody else has used them. So my ethical objections to cloning a clone of DiiMO's adaptation logic may have turned out to have had some practical considerations anyway.

DayStar didn't have any particular reason to use e'm. ;)

First real progress to report. Wire wrap toys and materials have arrived from China, save one tool I recently ordered, but don't absolutely need. Got some connectors I can work with and some who's replacements will arrive next week, Saturday if I'm really lucky.

Not much to look at, but here's ProtoCache1

post-902-0-46156000-1495680268_thumb.jpg

The abbreviated connector on top would be the useful remains from the section I grafted to most of another connector to add up to 120 pins for plugging the protoboard into the SE/30 PDS.

post-902-0-76475600-1495680303_thumb.jpg

Look closely at the wire wrap pins of the center connector. Misread the listing and wound up with 96 position, 64 connection parts  .  .  .  the center row is missing. NUTS! That's why some replacement parts are arriving from sellers here in the US. They're not wire wrap connectors, but I think the pins may be long enough on one batch or another to make them work with a few turns and maybe a dab of solder.

Planning to build ProtoCache1 in a gated configuration to act as passive IIci slot adapter or in active adapter mode with the flip of a DIP switch.

Might be time for the next installment of the project thread series soon, we'll see how it goes, at least it's a start! [:)]]'>

I do not know if this is useful,

It is the image of my IIsi adapter.
It looks like a Micro Mac, but it looks different.
I think it depends on Presto 040 so it may be different from Daystar.

up162583.jpg

up162584.jpg

Thank you, that's a really big help! At first look, I think I can see or have a good idea where every single connection is made. I'm going to post your pics in a new thread along with an adapter TimHd snagged off eBay.au.

This thread has officially come to a close, see: ProtoCache1 - IIsi/SE/30 PowerCache Adapter Prototype Development