Photo

800k floppy drive help!!!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jimjimx

jimjimx
  • LocationChicago, IL, USA

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:29 AM

I pulled out my 512kE, after about 5 or 6 months since I last used it, flip the switch, plop in the floppy, and I hear a motor continually running, and get the "Can't Find Startup" screen…. 

I shut down, poked the disk out, flipped the switch again,  and the same happens….

How do I fix this, or who do I send it to to be repaired? 

I also have a M0131 that does nothing that does nothing that needs to be repaired….

Well….  It spins the disk for a second, then does nothing…..

So…. What do I do?  Where do I go?  Who do I send to?

I've used this for the last 20 years without a problem...

…And the Donkeys on eBay are asking over $100 for a working 800k, yet, they list it as "untested", and "as is"….

#2 giolicious

giolicious

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:32 AM

Do you have a spare startup disk? Or might need to open and clean the internal floppy drive.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einsten

#3 Themk

Themk
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:00 AM

Start by cleaning and lubricating the drive. It did a dream for my SE's floppy drive. The wiki has instructions: https://wiki.68kmla....ve_Lubrication.

You will also want to clean the heads. A cotton swab and some isopropyl alcohol should do the trick. Be careful not to lift the drive head too far up or you will have problems! Hopefully this fixes your issue.

Good luck! :beige:

Macintosh SE SuperDrive, Macintosh SE/30, Apple IIgs ROM3, ImageWriter II.

Love programming for GS/OS and System 6/7.

#4 giolicious

giolicious

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:25 AM

This happened to my Mac128k before. I bought a cheaper Apple 3.5 drive (A9M0106) to test it first before opening it. The external drive works and I eventually opened my Mac and cleaned & lubricated the internal drive. It's in fully working condition now.

Edited by giolicious, 06 February 2017 - 05:28 AM.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einsten

#5 ktkm

ktkm
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:01 AM

Its probably the little yellow gear in the eject mechanism that has failed. Mine actually broke a couple of hours ago … https://68kmla.org/f...k-floppy-drive/… maybe you can replace it with the one in your  M0131?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users