retrobecanes

Fan replacement for a Mac SE/30

1 hour ago, Renegade said:

the problem with those translucent fan blades is that they usually don't last long.

What about the SilenX IXP-34-16 ?

Seems to be ideal. Do you it is fragile as well ?

I have used those Silenx fans before too (IXP-34-16).  It also seems to be terrific.  Definitely a tiny bit louder than the Nanoxia but moves more air per spec.  I haven’t used that one as much though (it lives in an accelerated Plus I don’t use that much) so can’t personally testify to its longevity.

For those interested I do have a custom made 24 CFM fan (transparent) with LEDs. It’s definitely not “quiet” but much better for the old flybacks.  I always see people getting low CFM fans because they are quiet but it’s not that great for the flybacks. 

Sorry if this has been discussed.

Would an improved shielding solution help improve airflow around the flyback? If that's the main bone of contention in the fan discussion. I mean, th shielding isn't "bad," but is there a solution to make the flow "better?"

Or perhaps some cowling modification to better direct the airflow? I guess not, as it's a puller, exhaust fan and not a blower. Never mind.

@Bunbury I think a cheaper solution than my custom fans would be something like this: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/delta-electronics/AFB0612EH-ABF00/603-1035-ND/1014366 I’m not sure if it’s been discussed or not. The CFM on this was is crazy high. Mine is 24 CFM (about double the original) but because I bought the expensive molds each fan from me is about $39. 

@jessenator I don’t really know enough about thermodynamics to say for sure, but what I will say is that it seems like it’s just lack of air flow inherent to the design. This is not a new problem for Apple.  Even the first Apple II machines needed modifications because they didn’t have vents to allow for air flow.  I actually like the shield around the flyback as it’s super shiny and looks good in the clear case :)

Edited by maceffects

I think I just realized I'm just a dumb@$$ and didn't convert m^3/s to CFM... Because I genuinely thought the noctua fans were above 20cfm... They're ~29 m^3/s or 17 CFM. Otherwise I would have bought a SilenX or that other brand jdw recommended in his AB recap video. Well maybe if I ever get my Starmax board to work again I'll just use the noctua on the CPU heatsink (I actually am using the SE/30's old fan on it correctly, funnily enough)

I'll look into the SilenX fan

On 12/23/2019 at 3:00 PM, Crutch said:

I am always surprised more people don’t mention these Nanoxia fans:  http://nanoxia-world.com/en/products/fans/deep-silence/240/deep-silence-60-mm-2000-u/min?c=50

2000 RPM, 15.8 CFM, 12.1 dBA

So, more airflow and less noise than the Noctua at the 2400 RPM setting (allegedly).  I’ve been running one in my maxed-out SE/30 for about 18 months now and it seems to keep things nice and cool.  Though I always wonder if it’s really doing the job ...

@superjer2000 did you ever build that temperature controller?

I didn't. I put the SE/30 back up on the shelf and haven't gotten back to it.  It is still on the project list though. 

On 12/24/2019 at 10:02 PM, superjer2000 said:

I didn't. I put the SE/30 back up on the shelf and haven't gotten back to it.  It is still on the project list though. 

I’m experimenting with PWM fan control for my SE/30.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what the temperature operating tolerances are for the flyback etc.?  In other words — at what point should I have my fan controller max out the fan speed?  (Ideally I’d install a fan that’s powerful but maybe noisy at top speed, but could run it at slower speeds most of the time.)

Right now I’m playing around with this little fan controller, $5 on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077SLWWXL/  Takes a minute to figure out the settings (the “UI” is one button and three LEDs) but seems to work great.

Edited by Crutch

Maybe I'm sleep-deprived, so check me if I'm off my nut.

Since the intake on these is on the bottom, there's this up and back airflow (blue) which would create kind of a low pressure situation (yellow) right up at the top (where the flyback is). Since the SE there were no more vent louvers at the top of the case, so the air wouldn't flow that direction, right through the flyback cage as might be the best goal. So I'm curious if a cowling, albeit a bit choked, might serve the flyback more by forcing the air to flow through the cage itself? I mean, obviously, it seems like placing the fan higher up, directly in the path of the flyback could have served airflow better (red), but spilled milk and all that.

gtBYJ6I.png

It would be a wonky fit at best, having to make space for board connectors. Way out of the realm of feasibility would be a modified cage for the flyback. anyway enough rambling…