EvilCapitalist

USB/Firewire cards (or chipsets) that work in the TAM

I've had these cards sitting around for a bit and finally finished testing all of them, so I'll pick up where I left off:

Card 9 - Ratoc Rex PCIFU1 Rev 2:

This is a USB 1.1/Firewire 400 and the individual chipsets work in single function cards but again, the card just showed up as pci-bridge.

USB Chipset - OPTi FireLink 82C861

Firewire Chipset - NEC D72870AGM

PCI Bridge - HiNT HB1

post-2488-0-61004300-1488547921_thumb.jpg

Card 10 - Unknown brand HFU-9402C:

Again, the chipsets on their own function fine in single function cards, but not here.  Just shows up as pci-bridge.

USB Chipset - OPTi FireLink 82C861

Firewire Chipset - Agere FW323-05

PCI Bridge - Texas Instruments PCI2250PCM

post-2488-0-78764700-1488548080_thumb.jpg

Card 11 - Unknown brand PTI-213C:

Same as the other two, the chipsets function fine in single function cards, but still no dice here.  Just another pci-bridge.

USB Chipset - NEC D720100AGM

Firewire Chipset - NEC D72872GC

PCI Bridge - HiNT HB1

post-2488-0-88339800-1488548275_thumb.jpg

Card 12 - Marketed as a Sun Blade 1500/2500 combo card:

Clearly I'm running out of options to try.  This tended to freeze up the machine on boot or give me a bomb cursor.  The few times I did manage to boot successfully I ended up with, you guessed it, pci-bridge.

USB Chipset - NEC D72101GJ

Firewire Chipset - Texas Instruments TSB43AB23

PCI Bridge - Texas Instruments PCI2250PCM

post-2488-0-87650200-1488548501_thumb.jpg

Card 13 - Adaptec AUA-3020A:

Another card that makes me think power draw is part of the problem.  There's no bridge chip to cause issues and both chipsets were recognized.  System Profiler showed two USB cards and one generic device, which turned out to be the Firewire side.  Firewire worked with no problem, though connected devices didn't show up under System Profiler.  USB devices got power but were never recognized by the machine.

USB Chipset - NEC D720101GJ

Firewire Chipset - Texas Instruments TSB43AB23

PCI Bridge - None

post-2488-0-48898000-1488548854_thumb.jpg

So, 13 cards in and I'm still nowhere.  It's rather frustrating when the chipsets work perfectly fine in single function cards (I have a 3 port Firewire card that uses the Agere chipset and a 3 port (2 ext/1 int) USB card that uses the NEC chipset) but not in a multi function card.  I really think the power draw is playing a part since I seem to remember the manual stating that the max the slot could handle is 15 watts and a bunch of these cards, and the ones I tested earlier, have auxiliary power connectors.  At this point though the only cards left to try have VIA chipsets and I've heard nothing good about them as far as compatibility with older Macs goes.

Again, if anyone has an original Tango, I would love to purchase it from you.

This is some fine work sir, you should be commended for your tenacity.

giphy.gif

If I spot a Tango 1 in the wild, I will make sure you hear of it.

Just curious, anyone know if a card with a Dec bridge was made? The Supermac, Motorola and Mactel clones all used those on their motherboards, may provide better results.

The Intel bridge is basically the DEC bridge.  Intel ended up with DEC's division that made those PCI-PCI bridges, so the Intel bridges were the same or the direct descendant.

This is some fine work sir, you should be commended for your tenacity.

<mr claptastic>

If I spot a Tango 1 in the wild, I will make sure you hear of it.

Thanks, I just wish I found one that worked :simasimac: (amusingly enough, I've got that reaction GIF stashed someplace as well)

Definitely appreciate any help I can get in my search for the elusive Tango.

If you ever decide to get rid of some of those cards I'd be interested...

Which ones were you interested in?  They're just sitting in their anti-static bags collecting dust.

I'll have to give it another shot to see if they might work. Coupled with one of my Crescendo G3/L2s and an ATA/whatever SSD, one of these puppies would make the ULTIMATE!!!!!RARE!!!!!STEVEJOBS!!!!!TAM!!!!!UPGRADE!!!!!!KIT!!!!! eBay listing of all time.

< not holding his breath >

edit: you're gonna wind up with more of these "useless" PCI cards on hand than I have of Paleolithic Radius VidCards for 68K!

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

Curious about this one:

50839927369_F2948780_5567_4_BBE_A1_BB_02

Does the USB bridge on this card work in the TAM? Are you having trouble with just the FireWire bridge on some cards or with USB AND FireWire on all of the cards tested?

edit: if you're done playing with this one, I'd like to put it through its paces in the 6360, willing to part with it?

I never had that particular version of the Tango, I had the one that came after that, which didn't work. 

In the cases where the cards had chipsets that I knew worked on their own I think it was the power requirements that made the cards non-functional.  3 of the last 5 cards I tried had the exact same chipsets which work just fine in single function cards (NEC, Agere, and OPTi) which made it that much more frustrating that the TAM wouldn't recognize the combo card version.  In any event, I've run out of chipset combinations to test and my TAM has headed back to her box so unless I can manage to find an original Tango my search is at an end.  13 different cards with different chipsets and bridge combinations and none of them functioning is pretty definitive in my book.

I'd like to see if I can get my TEMPOtrio running in the the 6500 board, if only for USB and ATA. An ATA/whatever card in a TAM coupled with an SSD & Adapter would be the biggest kick in the pants possible for a TAM or 6500 short of the L2 Accelerator, dying to see what the different combos might do in benchmarking.

OT: Looks like Sonnet predicted Microsoft's logo by about 13 years. Wow, the logo next to "for windows" looks EXACTLY like Microsoft's current corporate logo.

When you talk about power requirements not being meet, I noticed that a few of the cards have power connectors on them. Its possible that if you provided power to the power connector on the card, they would work in the TAM. Now, I realize that the TAM doesn't have a PSU capable of supporting that, but you might be able to hack something together.

Edited by Themk

13 different cards with different chipsets and bridge combinations and none of them functioning is pretty definitive in my book.

I commend your testing, and I've also trialled a few combo cards over the years with no love.

Is there any pressing reason why you need dual FW and USB?    USB is pretty essential in my books (as is ethernet, and I lack the CSII riser so am using a USB ethernet adapter that has OS 9 drivers), but FW I can do without when it'd be pretty slow to copy data over.  From my end, the only purpose FW would be good to have is to plug in an early FW iPod for use with iTunes.

JB

Edited by Byrd

Pressing reason?  Nah, not really, especially since my TAM is safely packed away in her boxes again. 

If I had to choose between USB and Firewire I'd probably go with Firewire since I've got a FW HD I use for transferring things between machines, and the only other devices I'd connect are already networked (thankfully my machine had the CSII riser and a network card, though I would like to find a 100Mbps version).  There were just enough occasions that I wanted to use some USB device on the machine that I thought I'd give finding a working combo card a go.  Still holding out hope that I'll find an original Tango or an original OrangeLink card one of these days.

That would be me!  I've actually got an original OrangeLink coming in today thanks to some dumb luck a few weeks back, but in case the card is dead (since it was bought in a lot of untested cards) I'm hoping this one is an original as well and that it works if the one coming in today doesn't.

As to the Wings card, I only ever used it for audio output over the RCAs so I can't speak to the video side of it.  Weren't all the 7x00/8x00/9x00/Beige video inputs/outputs consumer grade though?

Most people usually get the Wings board to fill out their G3's to the top spec, the audio board feels measly in comparison. The Bordeaux card is the special one, but far more rare in the wild. 

Re: OrangeLink, you will have to make sure it it is the OptiLink version of the board for it to work in the TAM/6500. The patch Orange made was only made for that model. Hopefully that G3 DT will be of use even if as donor box. 

iCrap! I just broke the kickstand on my drawbridge. :-/

Googled pics trying to find out which personality card I've got in my box. It seems strange, it's the long version, but it has white connectors along both the top and back edges. It also has a big Phillips chip on it, could that be a DVD decoder IC?

edit: I guess not, I found a Wings card that looks like mine. I read somewhere there were two versions?

https://www.recycledgoods.com/apple-661-1456-g3-wings-personality-a-v-card-820-0923-a/