ktkm

Macintosh IIcx 7.5.x freeze

I tried to Install 7.5, 7.5.3 and 7.5.5 on an IIcx, but every time boot the system it freezes before the second splash screen.

Could this perhaps be memory related? (MacOs 6.0.8, 7 and 7.1.x has no Issues).

Bw,

Kristian

How much RAM is in the IIcx? For 7.5 wants a minimum of 16megs.

What extensions are you running on it? Have you booted holding down the Shift Key for "Extensions Off?"

How much RAM is in the IIcx? For 7.5 wants a minimum of 16megs.

What extensions are you running on it? Have you booted holding down the Shift Key for "Extensions Off?"

I have 20 MB of RAM, and I have tried booting with extensions off.

I forgot to mention that I have ROM-inator II installed -- and I know that the SE/30, for instance, needs a “ResEdit hack” when using the “ROM-inator II” and system 7.5.x. I have tried the same “ResEdit hack” with the IIcx but without result.

Thanks

/K

I literally just had this problem with my SE/30.

I know you said you already did it, but if you can again, ResEdit the system file in the system folder, then the gusd or something (Make sure you go on the Bmow site, don't quote me) go to the 00018 line I think? Third or something down, and change the 00003 to 00005.

First off, lets get this puppy howling and diagnose each part as we go along.

1 - take that IIcx apart, and remove any hacks you have on it, e: The ROM-inator.

2 - assemble the IIcx back as a stock machine. Set it up with 16MB if RAM and a single bootable (I assume its the 7.5) drive.

3 - test it. Does it Boot?

No? Where is did stop booting. Same place? then it is either a bad HD or a corrupted System file. Try booting from a floppy or other hard drive - if you got it.

Yes? Go to step 4.

4 - shut down and assemble the IIcx as it was before: 20MB, with the ROM-inator, etc.

5 - turn it on. Did it boot?

Yes? then something must have gotten loose and removing it and putting it back in cleaned thing up. Congrats.

No? Where is it freezing, same place? Can you try booting from another disk like the Floppy or another hard drive?

If 3 works and not 5, it might be a corrupted System file or the wrong system file for the ROMs in the Rom-inator. System 7.5 did need various system enablers for what system you are running them from. At this point, that is all I can say.

I have 20 MB of RAM, and I have tried booting with extensions off.

I forgot to mention that I have ROM-inator II installed -- and I know that the SE/30, for instance, needs a “ResEdit hack” when using the “ROM-inator II” and system 7.5.x. I have tried the same “ResEdit hack” with the IIcx but without result.

Thanks

/K

Try the same hack, but instead of changing the 0003 after the 0009 to 0005, try changing the 0003 after the 0008 to 0005. The 0009 corresponds to the SE/30, and the 0008 corresponds to the IIcx. No guarantees -- I've never tried it. But logically it makes sense. It would be good to know if it works so we could get it added to BMOW's FAQ.

Try the same hack, but instead of changing the 0003 after the 0009 to 0005, try changing the 0003 after the 0008 to 0005. The 0009 corresponds to the SE/30, and the 0008 corresponds to the IIcx. No guarantees -- I've never tried it. But logically it makes sense. It would be good to know if it works so we could get it added to BMOW's FAQ.

Holy crap! It works!

I changed the 0003 after the 0008 to 0005 and that really did it!

Thank you so much!

/K