falen5

Any thoughts on this....it arrived!!!

Whatever happens by the end of this project, I hope to be among the first to purchase a signed copy of "Rust, Goo & Busted Caps: My Apple II-Fueled Descent Into Madness by Falen5"

good man huxley!!

any opinions on the motherboard people.......is it a gonner!!

I think, you should re-solder each rusted contact, to almost completely exclude rust from motherboard. I think, if you will not do that, then it will be hard to diagnostic it later when you will try to turn it on and if it will not turn on the first try.

Also, if you know how to test these chips, it will be a good idea to do it while they are dismantled from the motherboard. I suppose, some of them may be broken? Really, you need to look how far corrosion goes. I hope, not too far.

I can solder the chip back on with the plastic housing removed....pin by pin..straight on to the contacts

Completely remove? I don't think it's a good idea. Maybe cut up (with a rasp) the plastic up to not corroded contacts and use thin wires instead original legs?

Edited by m_emelchenkov

Dunno, I think I'd remove all the sockets/solder and put in new ones. Reinstall the sockets AFTER giving the board a thorough going over with every cleanup trick the gang can give you. While at it, check for continuity on all traces you can see while you have the chance to do so. Then install new sockets. Outright replacement of the sockets and that batch of '74LS logic won't be very expensive. Do further testing with mostly all new, known good components.

Thanks lads - there will be no easy short cut out of it. Getting the motherboard to work is going to be a dam nightmare

should of just left it and tested it before i pulled the chips

today i repaired the broken plastic dowels for the screen and remounted the screen and analog board

I have learnt that the screen is not the screen from the original  Iskra Delta Partner. This screen fits the curves of the case perfect, but the 4 atachment metal tabs/ holes that screw the screen in situ did not line up

Thats why they all 4 were cut. I thought when the machine must of been  dropped in the past and the screen broke free that the 4 metal tabs had litterly ripped apart. They were cit to bend the 4 tabs to line up with the mounting holes.

anyway - it is all back in and solid.

There are 3 small circuits hacked onto this analog board. check all i can see for shorts etc etc. Whoever built this must of really knew electronics. Any writing I have found so far on it is all in english so I dont think it was created in yugoslavia  - who knows!! 

question.....on the back of the crt there is a long spring. I have it running across the top of the crt. Where am i supposed to run this spring- as it is? up/down?, diagonaly?

what is it for anyway??

I have cleaned the board. Cant see any bulging caps, cracked solder. Checked with the pictures i took that everything is wired as it was when i first opened it

Im going to power it up in a while - get the camera rolling for the much anticapated explosion!!

if anyone is looking at this could you please have a look to see if i have done anything stupid before i power it up

If this works ill keep going..........if it blows up......so will I , and ill hit the beer

cheers people

post-2246-0-53029000-1482614921_thumb.jpg

post-2246-0-59079100-1482614946_thumb.jpg

post-2246-0-25181000-1482614959_thumb.jpg

post-2246-0-44329000-1482614981_thumb.jpg

post-2246-0-61495100-1482614992_thumb.jpg

post-2246-0-09273300-1482615018_thumb.jpg

Edited by falen5

That monitor was an old black and white TV chassis. I can tell by the flyback transformer, they used some custom circuits by the flyback likely to tap off an additional voltage for something added. And then, you can see where the tuner was and it was removed. The little circuit board in the middle is probably a modification to allow composite video instead of IF stage. 

Yeap, someone had some fun! 

Edited by techknight

I vaguely want to look up the SAMS manual for the Radio Shack TRS-80 model I and see if it's possible those are the guts from a Trash-80's monitor. (Which was literally TV with the tuner ripped out. The front bezel of the case had holes for the VHF/UHF knobs under the plastic nameplate they tacked on.)

... Wait, I forgot the point. Reason it has me curious is Radio Shack used a cheap hot ground TV with no isolation transformer, and instead of adding one for safety (which was kinda a concern when you have wires running to something with a keyboard) they opted to use a high-speed optoisolator on the composite input. Said isolator lived on a little satellite board...

Techknight - all you say makes sense - i was lost with the 3 custom boards wired into the analog board - cheers mate.

Gorgonops...i could lie and say i understand what you said ... but man i have no idea.......however I do know that you know more about this stuff than me so I accept all you say.......fair play man

truly apreciate all comments from all....im flying in the blind here people with basic knowledge

heres a vid of the repair of the 2 damaged lugs for the monitor screen supports..........long ass vid,,,, but maybey of some use to someone

Edited by falen5

This is the dreaded analog board/screen test. This scared me the most....alas with good reason ....but it had to be done........

Edited by falen5

That poor board... If it were me, it would probably be charred and broken in half!

I don't think Santa will get through with your cries for a new Apple II board. He'll probably give you socks and an Apple IIe board to taunt you!! ;)

carboy....arsebiscuts on that.......it can be fixed,,,,,,,,with or without the education or spare parts.( besides the 50 or so new sockets and chips!!!!!!!!!!)

the will to try is more important for the survival of all old machines........they are all important

ps.......you got a shiny apple ii you can 'lend' me........

happy christmas man,......to you and all

liketech and trash80........i wish you a peaceful and joyful christmas - i am on me own, the dog is happy, i disdnt kill myself......AND THE SCREEN CAME TO LIFE!!!.... im happy out......now the hard drive......and then the mother of all problems of a motherboard..........but thanks to your good selvs im in good hands.............god bless

Glad the monitor works so far. Its funny listening to you saying your gonna get blown up. Theres not enough power or current there to blow yourself up unless its a direct hard short across the AC line, then youll see a flash/pop and circuit breaker trip. 

to sumarise from a standpoint of stat...........i am now left with the motherboard and the hard drive

but lastnight i was thinking about it

this is not windows........this is not OS10..........if all is reconnected this thing will not boot to some beautiful GUI

it will be dead

it will need drivers from 5.25 floppys to activate shit

the scsi system!!!!.........will that have drivers contained in rom???

i8f i get it all working physically.....i wont be able to make anything work without the floppys....the dribers to turn stuff on

im guess here........but i think i might be right

please tell me it will all be in the roms of the plug in cards...........if they work

hey techknight...............jesus im glad to hear you..........all i know is flyback transformenr........allot of volts.....but feck it man it came on

its good

thats all the power system figured out.........i have rebuilt apple ii psu's )my own apple ii e's) so im happy with them

jesus man.....you say no danger!!!........hahahahah.....you should of been stood next to me.........i was shaking...........but it worked

tomorow i will recap the hard drive ( 2 tantulam caps you pointed out)- i have washed the board and will re assemble,

will test it on modern PSU for saftey

as for the motherboard..............jasus wept

whats the story with the spring on the crt..............where does it go

can i discharge this thing by running wire from annode cap to chassis ground...........will have to work on it tomorow

this was a good day - yesterday was a bad motherboard day

Edited by falen5

the spring is the CRT ground, it sits on the outside aquadag coating thats on the CRT, to ground it. So it doesn't arc. 

the 5MB profile board has a ROM on it, so i can only assume if the drive and hardware is good, it will possibly boot into ProDOS. 

Otherwise, you need ADTpro and an audio cable hooshmoy so you can get the correct images for the Profile drive setup on floppy disks. 

Edited by techknight

Thanks for all the help people. 'aquadag coating'  you learn something new everyday  - cheers Techknight

Had a go at the harddrive today. Replaced the 2 tantulam caps, cleaned the board, plugged it into modern psu

the psu would not start

checked the molex connector on the control board, The 5volt is shorting to the ground

found that the short is gone when i remove the boruns chip 16-3-221-331 - a network resistor - what do they do? 

I worked in Boruns in cork - we made these things..... just my luck!!!!!

I think i blew the board the other day when first plugged it in.

Just above the boruns chip there is a kind of dip switch chip with 2 of the connections broken. looked at it with a magnifying glass and cant tell if they were purposely broken or wether they were burnt out

will order a replacement chip.....bout all I can do.

post-2246-0-39147900-1482711482_thumb.jpg

Edited by falen5

could someone tell me if these are the correct replacement

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/20x-BOURNS-4116R-003-221-331-RESISTOR-DUAL-TERM-16-220-330-OHM-2-DIP-16-/171442887740?hash=item27eacadc3c:g:BmMAAOSwRLZUBC5M

Techknight - you are right once again.  should never of plugged the drive into that crazy psu the guy built.

The modern psu must of detected the short and refused to start. I have a bad feeling i blew the board.

I cannot find anything on google about this drive so if its blown then then so is the whole project

im a dumbass

Edited by falen5

I think that is a Tandon drive. Probably 5MB.

Edit: I looked at one of the other pics and see that it is a Tandon drive... Looks like it is a TM600 model

Edited by rickrob