• Not a nubus power mac, but I know a Sonnet L2 cache slot upgraded Mac will work on 7.6.1.   I don't know which drivers, if any, are necessary for that generation, but that would be the kicker. I don't think I tried with 7.5.3 on my 4400, just went straight to 7.6.1. Wouldn't hurt to try, I suppose. Finding the earliest driver would be the best bet.
    • Since all the Sonnet owners seem to be looking in on this thread, does anyone know the lowest OS (it says 8.5 on Everymac for this card) that can be loaded on a 6116 with a Sonnet G3 400/1M.  Is it possible to use , say 8.1 or maybe even 7.5.3?  I have a couple of nice 9.2 machines already, so I would prefer to have something a little lower if possible.   More in line with the topic, mine came with everything in the box, except for the sticker!
    • I decided to test the floppy drive outside of the machine. Unfortunately, despite a thorough cleaning and lubrication, there are a couple of problems.     First off, the eject motor doesn't quite get the job done. It really labors, despite my careful cleaning and lubrication. By hand, disks eject very smoothy. The eject motor on the other hand sounds very labored, and it doesn't complete a 360° trip like I think it should.   The second problem is more serious. I noticed that the R/W heads do not actuate. I removed the two socket cap screws that hold the motor in, and discovered some rust.     After pulling the drive out entirely, I found that the drive was stuck. It popped loose pretty easily, but it feels a bit rough... not good.     Unfortunately, now the motor just buzzes whenever the computer is on. Here's a quick video of what is happening. It's a sealed unit so there's no way to get further into it.   So, the sad state of this machine is that it doesn't have a working floppy drive or hard drive. At this point, I think I'll need to find a donor drive that I can pull both an ejection motor and seek motor from to get it working again.
    • Ugh, the floppy drive. I've done a lot of these lately, and I'm not gunna lie: it's become a bit of a chore. I'm just over it. But, it has to be done.   Yikes, pretty rusty, but it looks okay. Let's see how the bottom looks.     Hrm, not great, but the drive motor spins freely, which makes me think that this will be salvageable with a bit of cleaning.     My other restoration threads have tons of instructions on how to take these apart, so check those out if you're looking for more details. Here's the top carriage popped off.     Good news, the eject motor gears look okay! I cleaned these out with alcohol and lubricated them with DuPont Teflon Silicone lubricant, which is designed for lubricating plastics.     When that was done, I returned the final gear to this specific position, which as far as I know is supposed to be the "default" position.     The upper and lower carriages got a scrub in the sink, a soak in vinegar, a scrub in vinegar, and a final wash under tap water before getting his with compressed air. No pictures of the vinegar soak, so just imagine these parts soaking in vinegar.     After lubricating everything, reassembling, and inserting/ejecting a floppy disk a few dozen times to make sure everything was working smoothly, I started to assemble the hard drive and floppy drive assembly.     Hard drive and floppy drive bracket installed.     At this point, both the hard drive and floppy drive were completely untested. It was finally time for the big moment where I would see if the floppy drive worked, and if the hard drive worked, and if there was anything interesting on it!   I flipped on the power, and immediately, very bad things started happening. The machine rapidly went "FLUP FLUP FLUP FLUP FLUP", and by the time I got my hand back around to the power switch, there was a big puff of magic smoke coming from the hard drive and floppy drive area! Oh no!   With the power back off, I waved all of the smoke away and took things back apart to find out what burned up. And burn up, something did! My office smelled horrible! I was really hoping that whatever had failed was the hard drive, and not the floppy drive or logic board. The logic board checked out okay, but I quickly discovered this on the hard drive:     Looks like a tantalum capacitor gave up! This is one of those old Miniscribe drives. Is this a common failure? Maybe the heads are stuck to the platter, and the motor couldn't spin up which overwhelmed the circuitry? Would love to get some insight on this.    Oh well, I need a hard drive bracket for my SE/30. I guess this is where I'm getting it. Bye-bye hard drive!   But after all of that stress put on the machine, would it chime? My daughter and I flipped the switch again to see what would happen...     Yep, all good. Whatever caused the failure must have been in the hard drive itself.     But we're not out of the woods yet... what about the floppy drive?
    • Back with another update! It's a pretty exciting one that even includes some magic smoke! Curious? Read on...   Before soldering the shield back onto the logic board, I decided to clean up the I/O ports a little bit. Here's what they looked like before:     And here's after working on them with some 1000-grit sandpaper. Much better!     Extreme closeup! Whooooaaaahhh!     After slotting in the RF shield, I bent the tabs like they were before. It was pretty easy to solder the shield in since it was held in place.     Shield installed!     Next, it was time to recap the analog board. Normally, I post a link to my DigiKey cart with all of the caps, but unfortunately a couple of the caps are out of stuck, presumably due to supply chain issues. I'll post a link to the shopping cart here when the other parts are available.     First, I marked the old caps with a green Sharpie to keep track of what I'd replaced.     Then, one at a time, I desoldered caps. Sometimes I heat one leg and rock the cap, sometimes I used the soldering sucker, and sometimes desoldering braid.     New cap installed here! I always solder one leg, and apply gentle pressure from the back while reheating that leg, which seats the cap firmly against the board.     Here's a new cap, and an old cap that I couldn't get a replacement part for. I try to find the same diameter and leg spacing, but I don't worry about height. I also try to use Nichicon or Panasonic for electrolytic caps.     Analog board done!     At last, time to reassemble! Good thing too... my office has two torn-apart SE's, a torn-apart SE/30, and torn-apart external floppy drive! First, I hot glued the speaker back in.     Next, I reinstalled the chassis. Yikes, it is blue! But I decided that there was no need to spend money on grey or silver paint. I just wanted to stop the rust. I have plenty of Macs that I make "perfect". Most people would have just thrown this one out anyway, I've already put too much effort into it.     Jumping ahead a bit, I installed the analog board and logic board, but left the floppy drive and hard drive out to do a quick power-on test.     The ground lug on the CRT was a bit rusty, so I cleaned it up with some sandpaper to ensure a good connection here.     Time for the power-on test!     ERMAGERSH THER MERCERTERSH WERKS! One thing I hadn't tested before now was sound. No problem, it chimed as usual. The CRT is pretty far out of adjustment. I'll need to adjust rotation, width, height, and centering. Basically everything. I don't know if there's a good guide out there on exact picture size, or if there's a program I can run to help calibrate it. If someone has info on that, please let me know.     Next up, the floppy drive!