EvieSigma

Evie's Conquests

Oh no...my luck finally ran out, my first bomb victim. Thank goodness the ROM SIMM (I'm assuming that's what the solitary stick is) and CPU were unaffected so I can transplant those to a new board.

https://i.imgur.com/P8k4r0z.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uRGWl4n.jpg

Anyone got tips on dealing with that huge patch of rust? I was going to try vinegar and baking soda...

The VRM is toast, and maybe the audio card. The seller must have known about it since he removed the RAM (or did you do that)?

As far as the leak goes if it came in contact with water you have HF (hydrofluoric acid) which is something you don't want to touch with your bare hands (very nasty). Baking soda and water to get rid of any acid, a can of coke and a scouring metal pad to clean the rust. You might want to paint it as well.

Edited by Unknown_K

I didn't touch anything inside the machine, I just opened it up and took pictures. As far as I can tell the seller never opened this machine up (because otherwise he'd have noticed the battery explosion!) so the RAM must have been missing since before the computer was sold to me. What is the VRM? Is that the little board next to the battery that got toasted?

Ack! And that's not even a Maxell!

I think parts for the beige G3s are still relatively available, so perhaps you can simply find a new one?

In fact, would an AIO logic board fit inside a MT or DT case? If so, I might have just what you need to get that back up and running.

PM me if you're interested.

c

I know there are boards on eBay, I just have to match the part number. I need to put on some gloves and get that nasty board out of there pronto...

My college was cleaning out a hardware closet and they dug out an original Bondi iMac and they let me have it. It's actually a Revision A model, which is pretty cool. I snagged the VRAM module from a Blueberry trayloader they had that turned out to be dead (wish I snagged the CPU card too, oh well) so I can upgrade it a bit when I'm putting in a new hard disk. I have two sticks of 64MB PC100 from a ThinkPad but I dunno if it would work...

I got the beige G3 motherboard in and installed it and my god, the thing works after all! Kinda.

The front LED connector essentially disintegrated and the CD drive is cranky and probably needs its laser cleaned but it's so rewarding to bring such a heavily damaged machine back from the dead.

I haven't gotten any Macs (or computers in general) lately, but for fans of old stereo equipment, I did pick this beauty up a few days ago:

xsBliEE.jpg

Much to my surprise, unlike the last ancient piece of Panasonic stereo equipment I picked up, this one actually works and won't cause an electrical fire!

I've got an old Panasonic solid-state receiver from the late 60s with a seriously damaged plug, that made quite the nasty spark when its previous owner foolishly tried to plug it in. Need to get a new plug wire and plug for that one for sure.

You collect old stereo equipment then? I have a bunch of Technics gear from the 90's and 00's that I use (plus a Panasonic DAT unit because I could not find the Technics badged version).

I never cared much for old tube amps or record players but I do like high end tape decks for some reason (lived through that era I guess).

That cassette/AM-FM combo and the receiver are all I've got. I'd love to get some Technics and/or Marantz stuff though.

I've also been looking for a Laserdisc player for at least two years, to no avail...

Laserdiscs would be hard to find outside of thrifts or ebay and you have to flip them. I went from VHS to DVD in my movie watching and never bothered to collect movies outside of a few classics (I have the 3 original stars wars boxed set on VHS) and a small stack of DVDs.

That's the great thing about the later players (early to late 90s), no need to pull the disks out to flip them. And I want one mostly because I find the technology fascinating, since the movies are only in composite quality anyway.

If I remember correctly they are without compression so action looks crystal clear without artifacts (sure at a lower resolution but I grew up watching VHS sooo...).

The only thing that's gonna be frustrating if I ever actually find a player is getting the movies. I've seen Laserdisc movies mixed into the record section of thrift stores on occasion but never a movie I actually wanted to own. And I bet popular movies like Terminator and Aliens are not cheap...

https://m.ebay.com/itm/T2-Terminator-2-Judgement-Day-TXH-Widescreen-Laserdisc-Movie-/152803785721

...consider me surprised!

Edited by itsvince725

I have a few LaserDiscs and player.  They look fine on my crappy old 720p TV.  It's basically my dedicated Star Wars player, but I also have a few movies that I like to play on it including TRON and Hackers.  Hackers is a joke, but it's especially funny watching it on a Laserdisc.  It seems so appropriate. :lol:

I'm on the lookout for an affordable Nightmare on Elm Street collector's edition.  It has a some really cool cut scenes that weren't even included on the Blu-Ray release.

Also, the limited edition Hellraiser Collector's Edition is off-the-walls awesome.  The box art is unbelievable.  It's the centerpiece of my collection. :cool:

I'd love to watch Star Wars on laserdisc but I imagine those disks have gotten quite pricey! At least if I want to watch something like RoboCop or Jurassic Park I won't be paying TOO much.

If anybody is is a Star Trek fan, Laseerdiscs of all six original cast movies, plus most of the TNG movies up to I think Insurrection are relatively plentiful and inexpensive.

The entirety of TNG and much of DS9 (depending on where you look) were available on the format. I wonder how they look compared to the DVD versions, which are quite good....

c