3D-Printed Objects

Here is an update to my open bezel for the 950:

950bez.JPG.ec0950646cf1d70ed4b921ef7b899722.JPG

950new.stl

Changes:

I have decreased it's width from 172 to 171.75mm

I have increased it's height to 62 instead of 60.9

I have added the "teet" in the upper right of the model

I have adjusted the brackets for more tension.

I feel that this model is now 95% perfect, adjusting the geometry and adding the "teet" helps the bezel not to wiggle. Somebody try it and tell me what you think.

Edited by 360alaska

Beautiful work as always. PM your address and I'll send the bezel, hoping to get several packages mailed out, MON/TUE days off coming up. Are there any other doodads you'd like to mess around with, if I got 'em I'll send 'em, procrastination depending.

2 minutes ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

Beautiful work as always. PM your address and I'll send the bezel, hoping to get several packages mailed out, MON/TUE days off coming up. Are there any other doodads you'd like to mess around with, if I got 'em I'll send 'em, procrastination depending.

If you have a reset/programmers button for the 8100 I'd like to model that. My 8100 came without one and I'd like to replicate it.

12 minutes ago, 360alaska said:

If you have a reset/programmers button for the 8100 I'd like to model that. My 8100 came without one and I'd like to replicate it.

Sorry, got my 81/110 dream machine early on so I've never even looked at that one. Does it use the same part as any other case I might have on hand?

31 minutes ago, 360alaska said:

Here is an update to my open bezel for the 950:

950bez.JPG.ec0950646cf1d70ed4b921ef7b899722.JPG

950new.stl

Changes:

I have decreased it's width from 172 to 171.75mm

I have increased it's height to 62 instead of 60.9

I have added the "teet" in the upper right of the model

I have adjusted the brackets for more tension.

I feel that this model is now 95% perfect, adjusting the geometry and adding the "teet" helps the bezel not to wiggle. Somebody try it and tell me what you think.

Anybody going to make and sell these?

29 minutes ago, Unknown_K said:

Anybody going to make and sell these?

If you want one, I can make you one, but you would be responsible for smoothing/finishing it. That being said, if people start trying to make profit off my parts I might not release any more designs. The other option is to take my file and plug it into: https://www.3dhubs.com/3dprint. Order it SLA (ABS-tough)

Edited by 360alaska

1 minute ago, 360alaska said:

If you want one, I can make you one, but you would be responsible for smoothing/finishing it. That being said, if people start trying to make profit off my parts I might not release any more designs.

What do you do to finish them (sanding, cutting supports)? I never messed around with printed plastic parts. Not planning on selling one, just wanted another 5.25" bay cover so I can install a MO optical drive in one of my 950's.

FDM printers have lines and supports, SLA printers use Resin so no lines and minimal supports. Either way, you'd have to spray paint it.

Capture.thumb.JPG.e31c37258ce9d2ee8ba6b10a49023fe5.JPG

Edited by 360alaska

Note: the bezel in the picture below is not 360alaska's model!

But, while a bit flimsy (thin substrate and lacking the additional stability), about 6 months ago, I ordered a bezel in "White Natural Versatile Plastic" from Shapeways for $16 USD plus S&H and was able to install it without any angst. The texture was rough but it seemed to match that of the Q950 case somewhat.

image.thumb.png.ea9bfbe1372dcd214f2c2ac045644276.png

6 minutes ago, pb3623 said:

Note: the bezel in the picture below is not 360alaska's model!

But, while a bit flimsy (thin substrate and lacking the additional stability), about 6 months ago, I ordered a bezel in "White Natural Versatile Plastic" from Shapeways for $16 USD plus S&H and was able to install it without any angst. The texture was rough but it seemed to match that of the Q950 case somewhat.

image.thumb.png.ea9bfbe1372dcd214f2c2ac045644276.png

It says nylon SLS, Neat!

I wasn't concerned (at least initially) with getting it perfect. I had an AppleCD 300 (external) that I wanted to mount internally and, not having any 3D modeling or drafting experience, this was just-plain good enough for now. Surely it could be built on and made more durable but I didn't want to spend more than $20 for more than aesthetics (at the time).

2 minutes ago, pb3623 said:

I wasn't concerned (at least initially) with getting it perfect. I had an AppleCD 300 (external) that I wanted to mount internally and, not having any 3D modeling or drafting experience, this was just-plain good enough for now. Surely it could be built on and made more durable but I didn't want to spend more than $20 for more than aesthetics (at the time).

I plan to use my current model as a starting point to build both a tray loading and a slot loading version. Right now, my 950 has a hard drive in that bay but I plan to buy a scsi2sd.

There is a seller with 950 stye bezels on ebay with the 3.5" floppy drive sized hole (good for a 3.5" MO for example). I would think machining the opening out would be easier and cheaper then printing a bezel (if you know how and have the proper equipment).

This should be my final revision of the open bezel:

Capture.thumb.PNG.34a2963b361f7d6c02ea7ad6c59369cb.PNG

Changes:

Adjusted size of the right standoffs

Adjusted size of the ends

decreased the dimensions of of the opening (added 8mm of material from the bottom)

At this point I've printed and tried at least 10 bezels to further dial in this model.

Edited by 360alaska