meall

converter from SCSI 68 pins to 50 pins

Is it something possible to do? I have a few large HDD in an enclosure that should in theory work, but they have the wrong type of SCSI connector on them. If I could find a adapter that could bring them usable in my G3 Beige, that would be great.

Thank you

Yes, there are plenty of these adapters on Ebay but very few have the terminator built in so you'll need one of the 68-pin cables that has a terminator at the end. You can also terminate it on the 50-pin side with a cable like this in your mac: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190158-008-Compaq-Narrow-SCSI-50-pin-3-Device-Cable-with-Terminator-/271910662444?hash=item3f4f23712c:g:bngAAOSwMmBViaab

Edited by 360alaska

I'm all trying to figure out how to connect all of this links together!

The HDD have female connectors. The adaptor you provided Uniserver, I thing it has female on one side and male on the other, is that correct?

Does it has a SCSI termination included or not? that black portion on the top of the adaptor looks like it is for something useful, but I cannot guess what. Or it is the reverse side of the male port on the other side only.

I have a 68 pins SCSI terminator on the enclosure, I wonder if that could be used on the male connector on the adaptor itself.

Oh, another fact, I have a PCI Adaptec SCSI card that came with that Beige when I got it (AHA-2940W/2940UW) but it does not look like the beige can boot from it. When I booted with Mac OS 8.5, it was not even detected, no disks mounted.

If the controller is 68 pin, you need termination on the upper 8 bits of the bus. If the controller is 8 bit, then so long as termination on one end is 16 bits and SE, then 8 bit termination on the other end will be sufficient to allow narrow negotiation.

Obviously, on the Beige G3, the controller should be 8 bits.

So if I do understand you well, that means I should not need to worry at all about the termination on the other side. Is that right?

I was thinking about it, and told myself, if I install any 50 pins SCSI HDD, I never had to worry about this.