MikeatOSX

PowerBook 1400c and mSATA SSD

Bringing up old thread. This testing was done on PowerBook 3400/240mhz - the hard disk died just before Christmas last year and ever since I've been mucking around getting it to work. Anyway;

I had 3 different generic mSATA to IDE 44pin - didn't work so don't bother with mSATA.

Next step was to find SD to 44pin which I found this, see attached picture;

Found on ebay, search as - "SD/micro IDE 44 pin"

At the start, I had issues, turned out to be fake SD card that I purchased on other week. So got a true SanDisk Extreme Pro 95mbs card and installed Mac OS 8.6 on it without any issues - formatted it in one partition of 64gb - no problems, attached under the old HDD tray with velco and it isn't touching the logic board at all, ensured the settings in energy saver for the HDD to not go to sleep.

See another attachment - Performance testing using Norton System Info; Doubled its speed between original 3gb 4200rpm HDD from another PB3400 (battery cancer).

At the end of the day - such a nice laptop with good performance and uses just to play classic games.
Cheers

AP

Messages Image(2321752468).png

IMG_6765.jpg

Edited by AlpineRaven

I have started to refer to all those metal framed mSATA adapters as "Red Bastards" or "Red Headed Stepchild". I've not gotten ANY of them to work in my 5300, Pismo, or even older PATA based notebooks.

This is the one and only mode that I have had ANY success with, and it works 100% of the time with Toshiba drives.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSATA-Mini-PCI-E-SATA-SSD-To-2-5-Inch-IDE-Laptop-HDD-Enclosure-Disk-Case-White/361991673227

It uses the JM20330 chipset, which tends to run just a little bit warm... wish they could not the voltage down to 4.5VDC instead of 5VDC as the mSATA is really only for 3.3VDC

I don't get any issues with bootup or restarts from cold. My  G3/G4 Pismo books each have one of these in them with a 128GB (prtitioned 8GB OS9 and the rest for OSX 10.4)  Toshiba mSATA drive. My 5300cs has one with a 32GB mSATA (partitioned in MacOS 8.1 2GB/8GB/8Gb/8GB).

Yep this one; It is also JM20330 chipset as well and its used in PB G3 Wallstreet, Lombard and Pismo - no problems at all, I've even used it in Power Macintosh 5500 as well.

It didn't work in PB3400 at all (will boot but corrupts it).

Currently I have 256gb in PB G3 Pismo (partitioned 100gb/100gb/16gb and I had to partition it externally before internal)

OH yeah also - you need to change the energy saving settings to disable Hard Drive spin downs otherwise it wont wake up.

Cheers

AP

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by AlpineRaven

What size msata did you have in it on your 5500?

On my older powerbooks, pre-Pismo/Lombard, I can only use it with <= 64GB mSATA drives, and only SanDisk or Toshiba brand. I find the 16GB SanDisk mSATA SSD is cheap and flexible.

(but, I also backup to my A2SERVER network drive...)

There is a model of the mSATA IDE adapter that is a smaller form factor that has a 3.3v/5v switch. I've not tested it, but, it might run it at lower voltage and reduce heat.

Someone on the Thinkpad forums found a "hack" of sorts to put a different SMD resistor on one of the traces and got it down to 4VDC.

I dislike running these mSATA drives at 5VDC, as that is the BLEEDING edge of what they are rated for. But, they work (a bit warm).

Edited by FacnyFreddy