keithiepoo

Got an old IIcx here. Would like to see if it's still workable.

If you have the time to spend on it, I think it's worth a go, what do you really have to lose?

You dont need a big budget to do this kind of repair work, and you can practice your soldering skills/learn soldering on a spare PCB - there are a lot of cheap PCBs with components for trying out soldering available from amazon/ebay.

The last time I tried to fix some Macs, my soldering wasn't up to the job and I had soldered before, I just found the tiny components very hard to deal with. I'm trying the challenge again and this time I will spend more time practicing and keep my patience so that I can finish the job.

It's not terribly difficult, but if you have never used a soldering iron before then I don't know if this would be where you would want to start learning. Look online for recapping tutorials but if you have to go out and get a soldering iron, it wouldn't be worth it for you and easier to have someone do it or look for an already refurbished board and swap it out.

Yeah, I appreciate your comments and feedback guys, but this isn't happening LOL

I'll seek out someone who knows how to do this when I have the opportunity to pursue it. 

Thanks!

4 hours ago, keithiepoo said:

Yeah, I appreciate your comments and feedback guys, but this isn't happening LOL

I'll seek out someone who knows how to do this when I have the opportunity to pursue it. 

Thanks!

I would recommend that you remove the logic board and gently scrub it with isopropyl alcohol.   The leakage from the capacitors is corrosive and over long periods can destroy things.    Even if you don't have time to replace the caps, wash the goo off.   91% alcohol is usually available at grocery stores, though higher percentage stuff is better.