Photo

Use PowerPC for a week?

powerpc retrochallenge

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#141 bunnspecial

bunnspecial

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:03 PM

I am particular about color, and I use a couple of metrics.

Admittedly I use LCDs almost exclusively now, and I have a couple of metrics. At the end of the day, though, I want to lay a transparency on my light table, have it look the same on my screen, and have what I see on the screen(and what I see in the transparency) look the same in a print.

When I lay a 6x6 or 4x5 of Fuji Velvia on the light table, I have yet to find an LCD or LED display that can correctly render the reds as I see them on the transparency. It's a deficiency in the display, though, as the prints ultimately match the colors on the transparency better than on screen.

#142 Cory5412

Cory5412

Daring Pioneer of the Future

• Administrators
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:52 AM

I haven't done a whole much in the realm of scanning and I've never manually processed color film, etc.

I haven't had trouble with reds, but I haven't looked at it.

Have you seen other displays that do render those reds correctly?

One other thing I'd be interested in -- have you looked at relatively recent iPads, certain iMacs, or PixelSense Surfaces? It would be really interesting to see what your take is on some of the newest displays that claim to be able to do wide gamut. It's only in the past few years that we're starting to see LCDs really approach most or even "very much of" (like 70% or more, IIRC) of sRGB, which itself isn't a very huge color gamut, so it's not super surprising to hear about this.

#143 TheWhiteFalcon

TheWhiteFalcon
  • LocationArizona

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:58 AM

I'd look at the 9.7" iPad Pro's display in particular, since DisplayMate called its screen "the best LCD ever made".

Edited by TheWhiteFalcon, 11 February 2017 - 02:58 AM.

Desktops: Cube, iMac G4, 128k, 512k/Plus, SE/30, IIsi, Q700 PVT. Laptops: 180, 3400c, Pismo, TiBook, iBook Clamshell, MBP 15", MBA 13", Unibody MB, '15 MBA13 Portables: MP 130, 2100, eMate.

#144 johnklos

johnklos
  • LocationEarth

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:35 AM

Just as a follow-up to this thread's original purpose, I've been inadvertently using a PowerPC machine for a couple of weeks without any issues.

Where I work I was issued a brand new MacBook Pro. I originally had problems because Profile Manager was used to load on settings which would put the machine to sleep regardless of what settings I changed, which is not good for someone who works primarily in shells. After reinstalling and disabling Profile Manager, I was happy for a few months.

Then, my machine started crashing. After the third, I backed up all my files and started using my 2008 17" MacBook Pro instead. The new MacBook Pro came back, so I started using it again.

Recently, I had Terminal crash several times while in the middle of important work. Then, the whole Mac locked up. Sorry, but that's not acceptable, so I backed up my files and gave the MacBook back again.

I'm in the process of porting code to a nice IBM Power 8 system, so in preparation I brought in an old dual processor Power Mac G5. I was going to install FreeBSD on it and use ocl-icd to provide OpenCL support, then test the same code on the Power 8 system with those fancy NVIDIA Tesla K80s.

Since I hadn't gotten around to installing FreeBSD yet, the system still had Leopard. So, when my laptop frustrated me for the last time, I connected the Power Mac, fired it up, downloaded TenFourFox and the latest WebKit, and started working.

At some point I completely forgot that I'm on a Power Mac. All web sites work (and no, I don't give the slightest damn about Flash - it's dead, and I'm happy). I'm using Slack through their web interface. I've got a dozen shells open on two 1080 monitors. I've got all of my usual Unix tools installed via NetBSD's pkgsrc.

I moved the OS to a 500 gig SSD, but other than that, I haven't touched it. It just runs. The only thing I can't do is run VirtualBox, but with a Xen server on the network, I don't even need that any more. I may just keep using it, or I might swap it for a quad G5 I still have. Viva la PowerPC!

Edited by johnklos, 17 February 2017 - 06:36 AM.

#145 Cory5412

Cory5412

Daring Pioneer of the Future

• Administrators
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:35 PM

Neat that Slack works in the browser on that machine. Is that Safari, TFF, or something else?

#146 johnklos

johnklos
  • LocationEarth

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:51 PM

Neat that Slack works in the browser on that machine. Is that Safari, TFF, or something else?

Sorry - "WebKit" is a rather generic name which can be confusing without context. There's a browser project called "leopard-webkit" which is basically modern Safari backported to PowerPC:

https://sourceforge....leopard-webkit/

It's 100% usable everywhere I've tried. I use this primarily and TenFourFox for logging in to Google, since I don't want to browse the Internet with the same browser that's logged in to Google.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: powerpc, retrochallenge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users