techknight

Apple Imagewriter II Restoration

2 hours ago, macman142 said:

My secondary Apple collection obsession is Apple printers so this thread interests me. I had recently been considering the possibility these printers would need re-capping to be functional again, and here we are.

I have ImageWriters, StyleWriters and LaserWriters of various models, but I would love to have a functional ImageWriter II again.

superjar2000 I'm really keen to hear how you get on with yours. And thanks techknight for this thread and your info!

A fellow traveller! We are a rare and exotic species.

I have an ImageWriter II, a StyleWriter II and a 2200, and then a selection of lasers: 2x Laserweriter Pro 630s, Laserwriter 4/600, LaserWriter 12/640, and 2 x LaserWriter 8500s, with an extra sheet feeder for A3 and the envelope tray -- just because an 8500 isn't big enough on its own. Ho ho.

Then I have a couple of Xerox solid ink printers, and a Laserjet 4m Plus with duplexer.

God, that sounds sad. Anyone want one of the spares?

I decided some 10 years ago to collect a bunch of Laserwriter and Laserwriter Plus units.  I also bought out Herb's stock of replacement parts for those, like 4 good size boxes.  I've been lugging all this crap around for 10 years through like 10 moves.  Each one of those babies is 75 lbs. 

@jeremywork offered to give me a hand trying to restore them.  It's part of a long list of restoration projects.  Add to that a bunch of Imagewriter 1's and II's, and a few of the original dot matrix printers, one of which I had with my family's Apple II+. 

I've got two Brother daisy wheel printers too.  I was always intrigued by those.

I think printing is one of the "killer apps" that comes to mind when I think about playing with the vintage Mac's. 

6 hours ago, pcamen said:

I think printing is one of the "killer apps" that comes to mind when I think about playing with the vintage Mac's. 

I agree, most Apple printers were good pieces of kit, and coupling a functional one with your vintage Mac is a nice effort in building up a period era vintage Mac.

Pieces of kit?

The one StyleWriter is a Color2200, the portable one, and a few unopened ink tanks. I need to get that thing back in action.

Stylewriter 2200 ink tanks are really, really easy to refill. You just refill the sponge which is exposed on the bottom. If only inkjet cartridges were still made that way.

One of the other good things about the SW2200 for our purposes is that Newtons work well with it.

Edited by beachycove

2 hours ago, IlikeTech said:

I have a working StyleWriter 2200.  I got the printhead flowing again by ultrasonic cleaning it.

I will have to ask you regarding how you did that when I work on it some day. Also love the black serial cable that comes with it.

21 hours ago, beachycove said:

A fellow traveller! We are a rare and exotic species.

I have an ImageWriter II, a StyleWriter II and a 2200, and then a selection of lasers: 2x Laserweriter Pro 630s, Laserwriter 4/600, LaserWriter 12/640, and 2 x LaserWriter 8500s, with an extra sheet feeder for A3 and the envelope tray -- just because an 8500 isn't big enough on its own. Ho ho.

Then I have a couple of Xerox solid ink printers, and a Laserjet 4m Plus with duplexer.

God, that sounds sad. Anyone want one of the spares?

*waves*

I've come across a lot of collectors of Apple stuff but never another Apple collector interested in Apple printers. Which I always think is odd, because an Apple printer will make a retro setup complete IMO. I also collect Apple scanners. Printers and scanners just seem to be a relatively forgotten part of the Apple lineup.

I had to reduce my LaserWriter collection by selling my LW300 and (sadly) binning my LW12/640 and LW2, only keeping the LW8500 (being the last LW I think)?

I have an ImageWriter, ImageWriter LQ, both variations of the ImageWriter II's, StyleWriter, StyleWriter II, StyleWriter Pro as well as StyleWriter 1200, 1500, 2200, 2400, 2500 and 4500.

In the scanners I have the OneScanner, Color OneScanner and the 600/27.

Seems like a dizzying amount of re-capping above ^^^

The HP LaserJet 4 was an absolute workhorse. They went forever and ever, like a faithful tractor haha. The Xerox solid ink printers were unique. At work we had a couple of Xerox Phasers (?) and  the print quality was excellent. They had a unique smell, probably highly carcinogenic!

I would love to get an ImageWriter LQ... I have a beat up ImageWriter II that I found in a Dumpster many years ago. The knob is broken, the plastic is cracked, it's rusty as heck, but it still prints beautifully.

I wrote drivers to print color graphics and screen shots to an ImageWriter II from my Sinclair QL (m68008 processor). It's pretty straightforward. I even found some of my program listings from the '80s recently. I'll have to post them somewhere some time soon.

You probably don't want to do software flow control - it's a pain. Hardware handshaking works just fine on the ImageWriter II, once you make the cable.

15 hours ago, Crutch said:

Anyone have an Apple Daisy Wheel Printer?  Is it weird that I think those are kind of cool? 

This is the one true unicorn for me.  I've got a manual, I've seen various parts like the print head on eBay, but I've NEVER seen an actual Apple Daisy Wheel Printer show up for sale anywhere.  WTF?  Do they actually exist?  Perhaps just not that many of them were sold I suppose. 

Well, now you do!

I think, with all the advancements of the last 20 years or so, we tend to take for forget how advanced things were even in the early 80s. It may seem crude, simplistic and quite ho hum by modern standards, but back then, it was a very incredible accomplishment!

c

Edited by CC_333