epooch

Web server for Macintosh 512K

Did you use your own html or the ones that came with the program? Double check the http header of the html, and make sure it is 200 report code. Telnet to port 80, and

GET /

enter, enter

I connected my 128K to the Internet. You can see ElWhip up and running at this address:

http://128k.macip.net/

If you have seen the page...honk!

Works in a "normal" browser....not in lynx. Probably something with the port forwarding.

Please don't hammer it.......

Will be up today.

Nice Job! This has been a 2 month project of mine, so it is really great to see it up and running on a real Mac 128K.

FYI: Safari is stalling about 3/4 way through that page and keeping the connection open.  If I use TELNET, it looks correct, except I do not see the HTTP header (which may be the problem with Safari).

You should consider putting a fan on it it you are running it full time, like a Kensington System Saver or a Fanny Mac.   

I will close down the 128K web server. My 128K is having trouble to start. Sometimes the screen stays black. A slap helps.....

I did some soldering this afternoon. It is more stable now but, I had to boot more then ones, so it is not over. I'm afraid I have to do this soldering over and the very carefully..... So I'm giving it some rest for now.

I have a log on the port forwarding and can see that my web server is visited 160 times. But...half of the visits are mine... :)

It was a nice project and hope to see more of these TCP/IP Mac stuff. It is really my peace of cake!

Looks like you got bitten by the hardware failure related to age bug. Time to service the analog board. 

This is one bug that not 1 person in this entire world collecting these machines will avoid. ;)

Edited by techknight

I had a very similar problem with my 128k a while back.  A slap would make it work for a while.  The transistor (?) at CR-1 had a cracked solder joint.

Thank you guys!

I have been soldering the three connectors and it seems to do the trick. I'm not that good in it but.....it works!

I will give the machine some rest now!

Edited by mactjaap

I shifted a bunch more PPP code into a segment that I can unload.  I will see if I can fit dynamic headers in.  This will make serving images easier.  I also have an idea for fixing the crash on quit on 128k.  Any other requests?

I may have enough memory to fit a small web browser. 

I have a wish list.....

- Make it possible to do a HEAD request, so you can check if a file is there

- Name and version of the server in this HEAD request.
- Some kind of server status; amount of requests, uptime,etc

- Make some interaction with the OS possible, like time and date showing, file listing, etc

- A big one....Make it possible to upload files.....

Version 0.7 really works beautiful!

I now get correct headers and can read a head request!

I put it on the Internet and tested

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: 128k.macip.net
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age=0

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Content-Type: text/html

Can't get it going on minivmac with serial support....
Don't know how to get the pppd started well on my virtual Debian....

minivmac should start pppd if your ttyprog.sh is configured correctly.  do you get any errors in syslog?

also, I noticed that I am not seeing all of the html.:

This is made possible by the lightweight TCP/IP stack
        <a href="htt[Connection closed by foreign host.]

Does the file really stop there or is the server stopping early?

YES!!!!!!!!!! 07.1 does the trick! Now the whole page loads.

Thanks for the update.

Server is live at:

http://128k.macip.net/

I will PM you about my ppp setup for minivmac. It is driving me mad..... I'm debugging now and it seems that the pppd is restarting over and over... Als when I just ask which tty I'm on( remove the pppd part and just run command  tty  )  it loops between /dev/pts/2 and /dev/pts/4. Now way of binding it to just one pts....

Maybe I ca start pppd with one ling command?

Like:

pppd /dev/pts/2 9600 etc etc

I asked the maker of this minivmac version, but he just uses slirp and don't know what to do.... OK I come back on this by PM.

I'm testing new possibilities with El Whip now. Connected the 512K Mac with LocalTalk and mounted a share.

I'm running it from a mounted drive on my MacIPgw virtual machine. This has Netatalk on board. The .html files are on this share so there is endless space and... the possibility of using scripting. As an example I generate a simple page every minute which gives the current date and time. Just to understand the idea.

The server is still running on the 512K Macintosh

Have a look at:

http://128k.macip.net/date.html

This is the simple script, date.sh:

echo "<html>" >  "/AppleShare/ElWhip 0.071/date.html"

echo "<body>" >> "/AppleShare/ElWhip 0.071/date.html"
echo "`date`">> "/AppleShare/ElWhip 0.071/date.html"
echo "</body>" >> "/AppleShare/ElWhip 0.071/date.html"
echo "</html>" >> "/AppleShare/ElWhip 0.071/date.html"

Run it in crontab

* * * * * /bin/sh "/AppleShare/ElWhip 0.071/date.sh"

Cool! The lwip http server does have some support for SSI (server side includes), which I disabled due to memory issues. However, I have saved a lot of ram since I started, so I will give it a try it again. Date/ time would be a good first test.

wow, sorry, I meant WOW!!

Well done, that is an awesome achievement. I havent been around here for a while so have only just learnt of your awesomeness today. I was truly blown away. I'm pretty sure that in past discussion about being able to do something like this on a 128k Mac using Mac OS, the idea was dumped in the "impossible" basket.

Excellent work. I look forward to taking some time to read through your blog (not that I'll be able to understand all the technical bits!).

Cheers,

This is very impressive! Best I have ever done was running Eudora on a workgroup server 60 in the late 90's to provide email for almost 1,000 users. I massaged that machine to run it flawlessly until I just couldn't expand the ram to keep up with the traffic - much less have enough storage or disk speed. I wound up converting that machine into a web server with web star and used it for that purpose into the early 2000's - without any trouble. Never occurred to me to try it on a machine still old. I do know of a company with over 150 workstations that still uses a IIci as a DNS and print server.