I recently recaped my two MoBo’s with tantalum caps. Although my soldering skills are amateur at best MoBo’s are working with some problems I mention below.
I accumulated couple of CPU upgrade cards, adapters, etc over time:
- 1 x Mac IIsi ROM
- 1 x Mac IIfx ROM
- 1 x Daystar IIsi Turbo 601 angle adapter (1 PDS slot only)
- 2 x Daystar IIsi angle adapter w/ PDS pass thru (one of them has math processor slot)
- 2 x Daystar IIsi angle adapter w/ a NuBus port
- 1 x Supermac angle PDS adapter
- 1 x Stratos TwinSpark adapter
- 1 x Daystar PowerCache 030 40 MHz P33
- 1 x Daystar Turbo 040 40 MHz Rev 4.01 w/ 128 KB cache attached at the back of the card
- 1 x Daystar Turbo 601 66 MHz
I have also the following:
1 x Asante PDS Ethernet
1 x Asante SCSI2Ethernet
1 x Lapis ProColorServer 8 PDS graphics card
1 x TVS 9” Grayscale SVGA monitor
My original plan was put the, IIsi ROM, Turbo 601, Lapis, ethernet and grayscale monitor into SE/30 case.
- I have used IIsi ROM.
- I have installed System 7.5.5 using methot in Gamba’s page
- I started experimenting using one of the MoBo’s
- My findings…
#1 SE/30 does not accept more than 64 MB. During cold boot I get zebra stripes w/ 128 MB and and eventually does not boot; w/ 64 MB I still get the stripes but after a minute or so it boots.
#2 I know everybody waits for this part………………
Turbo 601 with Turbo 601 IIsi angle adapter in SE/30 DOES NOT WORK Turbo 601, Quad, PowerCenter and diagnostic programs still recognizes the computer as SE/30 despite I am using IIsi ROM. The Turbo is fine, works in IIci.
#3 PowerCache + IIsi angle adapter w/ PDS pass thru = WORKS
#4 PowerCache + Daystar IIsi angle adapter w/ NuBus port = WORKS (this opens new possibilites like 100 Mbit Ethernet and HiRes external graphics, fast SCSI cards etc….. keep dreaming!)
#5 PowerCache + Stratos TwinSpark adapter = DOES NOT WORK
#6 Turbo 040 + IIsi angle adapter w/ PDS pass thru = WORKS
#7 Turbo 040 + Daystar IIsi angle adapter w/ NuBus port = WORKS
#8 Turbo 040 + Stratos TwinSpark adapter = WORKS
#9 Turbo 040 + Stratos TwinSpark adapter + Lapis + Lapis driver = Finder stucks. Computer freezes after “Force Quit”
#10 Turbo 040 + Stratos TwinSpark adapter + Lapis + w/o Lapis driver = Finder stucks. Starts after “Force Quit”. Computer freezes If I try to open Monitor Control Panel.
#11 Lapis + Lapis driver = Finder stucks. Computer freezes after “Force Quit”
I have lots of options in my mind to try but I want some input from you guys/gals.
- After the above trials I clean installed System 7.5.5 with SE/30 ROM + Mode32 but my MoBo still does not accept 16 MB RAMs. Any ideas why? It does accept 8 x 4 MB RAMs by the way.
- How the programs determines the type of the computer if they are not reading it from ROM. I mean how Daystar control panels know it’s SE/30 when I use IIsi ROM?
- Turbo 040 heat sink heats up so much that I cannot touch it. I fear that the CPU will burn if I use it couple of hours. Anyone has the same problem?
- Any ideas why PowerCache does not work w/ Stratos adapter?
- Lapis card works w/o drivers when I force quit finder but I am unable to change monitors i.e. make the external monitor primary monitor. I tried both drivers from www.macdrivermuseum.net with same results. Maybe my system version is too high I have not checked the documentation though.
- The Daystar IIsi angle adapter w/ NuBus port is an interesting one. I managed to get two of these, one with box. I never saw or heard of these until last year I saw one in a Japanese site. It has an AMD chip on it. I have not tried the NuBus port yet.
- I have a IIsi MoBo I will try Turbo 601 with Turbo 601 IIsi angle adapter combo when I pull the PSU from IIci and fix my Apple Monitor just to make sure the adapter works. Has anybody knows if the IIsi video circuit will work with a multisync monitor? If so, I do not need to repair the monitor I would use Mac2VGA adapter.
- I do not want to try the Turbo 601 with IIsi adapters or Startos because the PAL chip numbers are different:
- Daystar IIsi Turbo 601 angle adapter PAL 3046
- Daystar IIsi angle adapter w/ PDS pass thru PAL TI20L8-10CFN & 1410
- Daystar IIsi angle adapter w/ PDS pass thru & math processor slot PAL 1400 & 1410
- Daystar IIsi angle adapter w/ NuBus port PAL 2928, 2929, 2930, 2931, 2962, 2994 & AMD MACH220-15JC
- When I turn on the SE/30 with Turbo 601 nothing happens not even error sound!
This became a long post. I appreciate any comments you will give. I can try any options you can suggest w/ some reservation.