All Forums
 Lounge
 Big Ass SCSI drives
Author Topic  
Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  15:42:45
Down in a thread I can't find for the life me, there was a bit of discussion going on about old full height 5.25 inch SCSI hard drives and how hot they run.

I've got 4 8ish gig Seagate 5400 rpm SCSI2 harddrives. And damn, are they big and heavy. I got them off an eBay auction and paid $10.50 each for them (factory sealed, too!). You gotta love them. Big lumbering tanks of drives they are. Perfect for upgrading older systems.

I'm currently looking to put 3 of them into a breakout box off of my main PC ("Ad Astra") and the biggest thing holding me back from that is good mounting and cooling. (I have a PS that's up to the job.)

I've currently got one of them in my PC kludge box ("Goatboy") -- hey it was lying around not doing nothing and was the fastest drive it made sense to put in there. It runs kind of warm, but not hot hot hot. OTOH, I do have the case off of that computer. Not only is that SCSI drive light years faster than the old IDE drive in there, but it's actually quieter, too.

When I get my 7600 up and running, I'm going to look and see if one of these physically fits in the case. (~Snif~ My husband won't let me have comptuers all over the house!)

Anyhoo, regarding the noise factor, I regard my PCs as kind of white noise generators. I used to want things totally quiet while I was working, but that's a dream really. No matter what, there's always a barking dog, yelling kid, or lawnmower going. The other day as I was working on my iBook, I ended up booting up Goatboy because I missed that familiar 5400rpm whine in the background.

68K's liberated: 0
68Ks adopted to loving homes: 2
PowerMacs adopted: 1

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  16:08:38
quote:

Down in a thread I can't find for the life me, there was a bit of discussion going on about old full height 5.25 inch SCSI hard drives and how hot they run.

found it for you:
topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=700.html

speaking of white noise generators, i got a new air pump and 25 feet of air hose for the tank my pet plastic fish live in. It pumps a lot more air which makes a really nice mid-range bubbling sound that drowns out the fans from the computers, but is relaxing and doesn't interfere too much with music with the pump on the other side of the room and the fish are swimming around so fast now that they've stopped nagging me!

love it!
jt2
=8-}

Edited by - alcoa on 25 Feb 2002 16:20:28Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  17:21:20
I have one full height SCSI drive, but it is only 10 megabytes. It actually did not make that much noise, my Imac was far louder. I have a a computer with a five megabyte double height drive which makes a terrible racket, but it is not SCSI, it is some format that a bunch of the grey market PCs used back when it was made (Winchester controller I think was the name on the interface card).

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  18:09:30
quote:

it is some format that a bunch of the grey market PCs used back when it was made (Winchester controller I think was the name on the interface card).

all hard disks are actually winchester technology.
FM (just like radio), MFM (ModifiedFM) and RLL (Run Length Limited, used in modern drives) were encoding schemes, probably an fm controller on a 10mb drive, possibly early mfm.

jt

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  19:51:34
quote:

I've got 4 8ish gig Seagate 5400 rpm SCSI2 harddrives. And damn, are they big and heavy. I got them off an eBay auction and paid $10.50 each for them (factory sealed, too!). You gotta love them. Big lumbering tanks of drives they are. Perfect for upgrading older systems.

aiee - that might be one of mine, with a 8.6Gb seagate - are yours ST410800's?. Anyhows, mine was a newie too - there's something impressive about 'stuff' that ancient but new - no matter the heat or noise... As long as you do have somewhere to put the things... :D.

quote:

When I get my 7600 up and running, I'm going to look and see if one of these physically fits in the case. (~Snif~ My husband won't let me have comptuers all over the house!)

This is a tragic situation - and the MLA must institute a matchmaking forum to prevent this happening again *grin*.

quote:

Anyhoo, regarding the noise factor, I regard my PCs as kind of white noise generators. I used to want things totally quiet while I was working, but that's a dream really. No matter what, there's always a barking dog, yelling kid, or lawnmower going. The other day as I was working on my iBook, I ended up booting up Goatboy because I missed that familiar 5400rpm whine in the background.

I love the noise when I'm dozing off to sleep - a hum in the background, something a bit white-noise... it was all the nicer when it was from my webserver which would clickity-click-click when someone visited :D

dana

Edited by - danamania on 25 Feb 2002 19:52:51Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  00:44:49
quote:
I love the noise when I'm dozing off to sleep - a hum in the background, something a bit white-noise... it was all the nicer when it was from my webserver which would clickity-click-click when someone visited :D

dana

I've heard of comfort blankets, but a comfort web server? Now that is something!

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
1 Quadra 800 (recently deceased)
1 Powermac 6100

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  08:59:48
quote:
When I get my 7600 up and running, I'm going to look and see if one of these physically fits in the case.

Yes, it will. However, you have to remove the internal CD-ROM, the drive shelf, and either remove the internal floppy drive or move it to the bottom 3.5" bay. I did just that on my 7500, take a look. There's a 23GB Seagate 5.25" x Full-Height drive there on the right, and a 2GB Seagate 3.5" 1/3 height drive on the left, sitting on top of the 1.44MB floppy drive. Be sure to put some kind of a non-cunductive material between the floppy and the drive on top of it, though. A post card tends to work well.

As far as cooling, the 7500 is still using the OEM fan, and even with that big full-height drive in there seems to be OK (it's been running this way for about a year now). If you look here, you can see that the exposed holes for the floppy and CD-ROM in the case are good for allowing heat to escape. I also put one of those Zip/Jaz bezels on the left for access to the floppy, which also lets heat escape. If you're anal I suppose you could mount a small fan to the front of the case (wouldn't fit inside, I don't think) to suck air out of the floppy/CD-ROM bezel holes, but it would be little ugly.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  11:20:33
quote:
aiee - that might be one of mine, with a 8.6Gb seagate - are yours ST410800's?. Anyhows, mine was a newie too - there's something impressive about 'stuff' that ancient but new - no matter the heat or noise... As long as you do have somewhere to put the things... :D

Yes! Same drive. I have a love-hate relationship with them. They're easy to set up, cheap, and almost indestructable. They're also damn near the size of a loaf of banana nut bread and they weigh as much as bricks.

As for my husband, I kinda sorta comandeered his desk in his loft (which he wasn't using) for my laptops, so I can see why he was getting a little put out about the computers springing up everywhere.

My husband keeps pushing me to get a cable modem at home, and if I do, the ultimate plan is to put "Goatboy" in the guest bedroom as firewall/server/traffic cop, and run a network into my office and put the as yet unnamed 7600 where I used to have Goatboy.

But, despite his refusal to let me have computers in every room of the house, my husband is way cool in other ways. He owns the best comic shop in Las Vegas, indulges me in all the books I buy (books in every room of the house), and I married him for entertainment value and I'm never bored.

PowerMacs adopted: 1Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  12:36:57
My wife says I'm boring. She also doesn't seem to understand why we should have more than one computer!

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  13:20:00
quote:

Yes! Same drive. I have a love-hate relationship with them. They're easy to set up, cheap, and almost indestructable. They're also damn near the size of a loaf of banana nut bread and they weigh as much as bricks.

If only they tasted as good... I can hope there are a few more available here. SCSI is expensive-as :(. Then again the trouble I had with this single one on a Quadra, I'm not sure it's too good a choice for 68k's. ugh. I can hope the next pickups do come with all the drives they're meant to have. I think I have 33 macs and 20 disks :P

quote:

My husband keeps pushing me to get a cable modem at home, and if I do, the ultimate plan is to put "Goatboy" in the guest bedroom as firewall/server/traffic cop, and run a network into my office and put the as yet unnamed 7600 where I used to have Goatboy.

broadband - be pushed be pushed! It could leave you with enough free desk space for another mac... but that's my obsession talking.

quote:

But, despite his refusal to let me have computers in every room of the house, my husband is way cool in other ways. He owns the best comic shop in Las Vegas, indulges me in all the books I buy (books in every room of the house), and I married him for entertainment value and I'm never bored.

Ahhh ok that works then :D. My mother... 56 last year... has just returned recently to the love-of-her-life from when she was 20 *snif*. It's bootiful, they entertain each other so wonderfully. And I gained a half-sister I didn't know about who keeps giving me macs!

dana (I must sound so selfish =)

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  13:24:57
quote:

My wife says I'm boring. She also doesn't seem to understand why we should have more than one computer!

*crosses fingers of the lucky single*. There's me and my pet mouse, Rug. He has no complaints, and in winter sits on top of my 8100, which I think warms him a little extra. I like that setup for now :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  17:44:53
I got my HD in the mail yesterday: it's a 650 meg double height 5.25" drive. (The size of 2 CD drives on top of each other.

I put it into an external CD drive case I have, but I don't think the PSU is giving it enough power...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  18:05:14
quote:

I got my HD in the mail yesterday: it's a 650 meg double height 5.25" drive. (The size of 2 CD drives on top of each other.

I put it into an external CD drive case I have, but I don't think the PSU is giving it enough power...

You need the Dana-Model-Quadra-810 hard drive cabinet!

I did partially complete a pic of an 800 style case with the whole face being drive bays. it looks kinda cool - I should finish it and post the url here :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  18:10:43
I would put it in my 950, but there's no room coz of the 6 half height 3.5 inchers...

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  18:15:35
quote:

I would put it in my 950, but there's no room coz of the 6 half height 3.5 inchers...

Perhaps a set of drive brackets from another machine might be mountable at the bottom of the 950's case near the front - just behind the speaker. That could give a little more room.

For now, the boot drive on my 950 is sitting there, blu-takked into place.

dana

Go to Top of Page

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  18:18:28
Danamania, so sorry to hear that SCSI is so expensive down under.

SCSI-2 is fairly cheap here in the states -- but then again, I was doing this with PCs, and when it comes to the PC I am the frank-n-puter cannibalization queen. Both of the SCSI-2 cards I have cost about $100 each, but considering I've gotten 5 years of use out of them, they are well worth the investment. I've cycled them in and out of several computers.

I shudder to think about finding, much less buying, a nubus SCSI card.

And my dad's going to be putting an Ultra SCSI-3 card into the dual Athlon box he's building. I cringe to think of how much that's going to cost, but it will be one wicked fast 'puter he's building. Which means, gosh darn, I get the Ultra SCSI card from his current PC. Which means, gosh darn, I get to go scour the computer fair for old (and now fairly cheap) Ultra SCSI drives. :D Sigh, more scsi goodness. ("You mean that I can get incredibly fast and sustained data transfers and chain massive amounts of drives both in and out of the computer? And using dirt cheap parts that nobody wants any more? Where do I sign up!")

And yes folks, I love both PCs and Macs, and I love them for different reasons, which is why I can say I love both platforms.

Off to bake some banana nut bread ...

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  18:18:47
quote:

quote:

blu-takked into place.

huh?

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  18:19:02
That's a good idea, although I may need to manufacture another SCSI cable, and I'm not sure the PSU is up to it. I've got 6 drives off four connectors, some doubled up. I'd probably need to triple-connect one drive and give the brick it's own PSU port.

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  18:37:42
quote:

That's a good idea, although I may need to manufacture another SCSI cable, and I'm not sure the PSU is up to it. I've got 6 drives off four connectors, some doubled up. I'd probably need to triple-connect one drive and give the brick it's own PSU port.

Checking the power requirements of each of those ports should help shot just what you can & can't put on there. Now I'll have to go hunting Q950 psu info...

my work is -never- done

:D
dana

and after a little read through of the apple hardware developer docs for the 900/950... the PSU is 300 watts normal, 424 watts peak - for no more than about 12 seconds (which may do for starting up a bunch of drives!). There's no info about spreading load across the 4 power connectors, but that kinda makes sense - can you check how much power all your drives drain on startup & then idle?

dana(2)

Edited by - danamania on 26 Feb 2002 18:59:46Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  19:39:58
quote:

900/950... the PSU is 300 watts normal, 424 watts peak - for no more than about 12 seconds (which may do for starting up a bunch of drives!). There's no info about spreading load across the 4 power connectors, but that kinda makes sense - can you check how much power all your drives drain on startup & then idle?

if you're going to be letting it run all the time like a server, make up a startup panel with separate switches for the non-boot drives to take the startup strain off the power supply by staggering the load. if you have to boot all the time it could get tedious and might be worth a timer relay hack.

if you're not worried about pretty, strap another psu on it and run the wires in.

jt2

=8-}

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  19:49:40
quote:

SCSI-2 is fairly cheap here in the states -- but then again, I was doing this with PCs, and when it comes to the PC I am the frank-n-puter cannibalization queen. Both of the SCSI-2 cards I have cost about $100 each, but considering I've gotten 5 years of use out of them, they are well worth the investment. I've cycled them in and out of several computers.

ahhh - Even a card like that would be something shocking here. Probably part of the reason so many 68kmla members are australian - it's all we can afford to enjoy!

quote:

I shudder to think about finding, much less buying, a nubus SCSI card.

The last few months have been all luck for me there :D

quote:

data transfers and chain massive amounts of drives both in and out of the computer? And using dirt cheap parts that nobody wants any more? Where do I sign up!")

can I start crying now?

quote:

And yes folks, I love both PCs and Macs, and I love them for different reasons, which is why I can say I love both platforms.
Off to bake some banana nut bread ...

I will use a PC. Probably not enjoy it as much as the macs. No. That needs a little more qualifying - anything but Windows I'll probably enjoy - I think I have this born-in bias against it. Linux is nice though. Unix is nice :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  19:52:14
quote:

quote:

blu-takked into place.

huh?

blu-tak is this stuff for putting up posters on walls. It's blue, and is a bit like old chewing-gum, but a little more fibrous, and a whole lot less tasty. Put in a spot that cools/warms it sticks to danged near anything - but rolls off nicely when needed. It's a very VERY dodgy fix - but it works!

dana

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  02:10:25
quote:

quote:

quote:

blu-takked into place.

huh?

blu-tak is this stuff for putting up posters on walls. It's blue, and is a bit like old chewing-gum, but a little more fibrous, and a whole lot less tasty. Put in a spot that cools/warms it sticks to danged near anything - but rolls off nicely when needed. It's a very VERY dodgy fix - but it works!

dana

Actually, the Blu-Tak i buy is gray, but then again, you probably use something other than Bostik...lol

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  02:56:52
quote:

Actually, the Blu-Tak i buy is gray, but then again, you probably use something other than Bostik...lol

it's really the palest-palest-blue-that-is-so-pale-it-looks-grey~!

:D

dana

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  05:11:22
UHU-Tack™ is yellow!!!

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  05:40:41
quote:

UHU-Tack™ is yellow!!!

ooah - so it is.

Would 68kmla-Tack™ be a platinum beige?

dana

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  06:04:34
quote:

quote:

UHU-Tack™ is yellow!!!

ooah - so it is.

Would 68kmla-Tack™ be a platinum beige?

that'd probably be green. (think unplugged, not camo)

jt2 =8-}

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  08:48:27
Ahh, I think they used to call that Ticky-Tacky here in the states many years ago (50's? 60's?). Here it usually comes in white and is called...um...honestly, I have no idea what it's called anymore.

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 28 Feb 2002 :  00:27:12
quote:

UHU-Tack™ is yellow!!!

00013 Macs liberated.

I used to use UHU-Tack to hang up my LCII poster back in grade 8, but it was too weak and kept on falling down all the time, so i switched to Bostik, and now my posters hardly ever fall down!

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5

Edit - Dang i hate how close the U and I keys are to each other!

Edited by - maclover5 on 28 Feb 2002 00:28:59Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 28 Feb 2002 :  01:15:01
quote:
quote:

ahhh - Even a card like that would be something shocking here. Probably part of the reason so many 68kmla members are australian - it's all we can afford to enjoy!

Hmmm. Funnily enough I just yesterday managed to scavenge some PC PCI cards from the IT department at work. One of them happens to be an Ultra Wide SCSI card (the others are a S3 trio video card and a 10BT NIC). Unfortunately I don't think any of them will work in a mac (not that I've got a PCI mac anyway ), so if any closet PC users in the army want to trade for something that's actually USEFUL, let me know.

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
1 Quadra 800 (recently deceased)
1 Powermac 6100

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 28 Feb 2002 :  17:47:06
quote:

I used to use UHU-Tack to hang up my LCII poster back in grade 8, but it was too weak and kept on falling down all the time, so i switched to Bostik, and now my posters hardly ever fall down!

Mmm, that stuff is shite... it only every seems to work at a certain temperature and pressure and humidity and if the phase of the moon is is in the correct quadrant...

00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  14:54:26
Speaking of big ass scsi drives ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2005776349

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  15:21:39
quote:

cool, lets organize a B.A.SCSI.HDD-Consortium!

i'll take 10, who lives in the san jose area and what other 8 lunatics are out there? pickup/packer/shipper gets 10 free!

jt

=8-}

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  15:33:27
quote:

quote:

cool, lets organize a B.A.SCSI.HDD-Consortium!

i'll take 10, who lives in the san jose area and what other 8 lunatics are out there? pickup/packer/shipper gets 10 free!

jt

=8-}

holy crap...

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  17:14:27
quote:

Oh man, I want one. Too bad I don't live in the San Jose area. Oh well, I can always make myself feel better by telling myself that the reserve is most likely so high, it would not be much of a deal in the end..

AnubisTTP

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  19:29:17
quote:

Oh man, I want one. Too bad I don't live in the San Jose area. Oh well, I can always make myself feel better by telling myself that the reserve is most likely so high, it would not be much of a deal in the end..

Well, they don't call it "eVilbay" for nothing.

Having dealt with this company before (picked up a 4 pack of those drives) my guess is that the reserve is somewhere about $200. However, the shipping to Aus. would be killer.

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 03 Mar 2002 :  07:38:01
Well... If the reserve is 200 dollars that means according to Trash80's plan, we would need nine people willing to pay 23 dollars for ten drives, along with most likely another 20-30 dollars for shipping, plus a tenth person who lives in San Jose to pick them up and ship them out in exchange for ten drives. I would join in at that price, but I am guessing we will never find another 7 people in time to pay for them all.

AnubisTTP

Bogometer
Starting Member

3 Posts
Posted - 03 Mar 2002 :  19:08:39
alcoa writes:
quote:

if you're going to be letting it run all the time like a server, make up a startup panel with separate switches for the non-boot drives to take the startup strain off the power supply by staggering the load. if you have to boot all the time it could get tedious and might be worth a timer relay hack.

I'll delurk here and offer up that separate switches or relays are unneeded. The Seagate Elite 9's (ST410800x), like many SCSI drives that were targeted for server use, have provisions for delayed or staggered start ups to keep you from demolishing your power supplies at power-on. On option block J4B (located immediately adjacent to the power connector), if you install a shorting block (jumper) on pin pair 1/2 you'll enable Spinup Delay. Doing so means that the drive will wait (10 seconds multiplied by the unit SCSI ID) from the time power is applied to it to the time the spindle motor is energized. Alternately, if the SCSI host/bus adapter you're connecting to is capable of sending individual Start Unit commands to the different devices on the bus, you can install a jumper onto pin pair 3/4 which instructs the drive not to energize the spindle motor until a Start Unit command is received. Don't install jumpers onto both pairs 1/2 and 3/4 simultaneously, as confusion will ensue (I seem to recall on Seagate drives the Start Command option (i.e. waiting for the Start Unit command) will override the Spinup Delay counter.

As for an earlier question about the power draw on the drives the Elite 9 will pull a solid 4.8 A on the 12 volt line (with AC rippling up to around 5.1 A), for about 17 seconds after the drive spindle is energized. After that it should settle back into its operating level of around 2 A. Throughout all phases of operation (i.e. both startup, operation, reading, and writing) the drives pull about 1 A on the 5 volt line (add about a quarter of an amp if you've somehow figured out how to use the differential versions of the drive with your Mac).Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.