All Forums
 68k Conquests
 Another successful sortie!!!
Author Topic  
bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2002 :  21:35:58
A series of daring commando raids far behind enemy lines has resulted in a couple of useful liberations. First up was a PB520c rescued from retirement in the back of a dark, musty office cupboard. My first 68k PB!. Such a cute little screen on it. Next was a 2gig SCSI Hard drive from a Compaq server. It's a monster of a thing! Full height, weighs a ton and built like a tank. Runs REALLY hot and loud too. I'm hoping to bag a half dozen or so of these from the same source. Mmmmmm..... raid....mmmmmmm.

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e

1 PB 520c

1 Quadra 800

1 Powermac 6100

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2002 :  21:38:47
quote:

Next was a 2gig SCSI Hard drive from a Compaq server. It's a monster of a thing! Full height, weighs a ton and built like a tank. Runs REALLY hot and loud too. I'm hoping to bag a half dozen or so of these from the same source. Mmmmmm..... raid....mmmmmmm.

Jesus...six full height (and loud) drives...that would probably make my ears bleed

--------------------
Spellcheck/Grammar Bandit and beholder of:
-the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
-the HTML Keyboard of Greater Knowledge™
-Compact Mac Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip™

--------------------Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2002 :  22:08:26
quote:

quote:

Next was a 2gig SCSI Hard drive from a Compaq server. It's a monster of a thing! Full height, weighs a ton and built like a tank. Runs REALLY hot and loud too. I'm hoping to bag a half dozen or so of these from the same source. Mmmmmm..... raid....mmmmmmm.

Jesus...six full height (and loud) drives...that would probably make my ears bleed

Eeeee - although the powerbook is a good lil catch :D. Now a nice hack would be to fit ALL them drives in the powerbook!

dana

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2002 :  22:14:47
quote:

Eeeee - although the powerbook is a good lil catch :D. Now a nice hack would be to fit ALL them drives in the powerbook!

he said powerbook, NOT PORTABLE, silly maniac.

jt2

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2002 :  23:54:24
quote:

quote:

Not that either would be much portable in the end unless you're ahnold!.

dana

Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  05:10:24
quote:
quote:

quote:

Not that either would be much portable in the end unless you're ahnold!.

dana

Actually, just the one of these drives is almost enough to dim the lights in my house. With six I'm gonna have to invest in a power company.

This baby get REALLY hot. The standard Quantum from the Quadra is still cool to the touch after running for days, while The Beast(TM) is too hot to touch after about 15 minutes. Better off in an external housing maybe?

As far as I can tell, the manufacturer seems to be Compaq... strange, as I didn't knoe they made hard drives.

How 'bout swapping one for one of those spare video cards of your Dana?

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e

1 PB 520c

1 Quadra 800

1 Powermac 6100

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  07:17:33
quote:

Actually, just the one of these drives is almost enough to dim the lights in my house. With six I'm gonna have to invest in a power company.

yes! The seagate I bought (8.6Gb-ish/5.25"/full height) is much the same. 30+ watts just to kick start it spinning - thats more power than some of my Quadra power supplies :D

quote:

This baby get REALLY hot. The standard Quantum from the Quadra is still cool to the touch after running for days, while The Beast(TM) is too hot to touch after about 15 minutes. Better off in an external housing maybe?

absolutely. Seagates site had warnings about bench-testing the drive with air-cooling, otherwise it could damage the thing. Inside a 950 it cools it down to 'very warm' which worries me, but perhaps it's meant to run that kind of temp. I might put another little fan in there just-in-case.

Then again it's coming onto winter here and the flat will be cooler so... I'll do it later *grin*

quote:

As far as I can tell, the manufacturer seems to be Compaq... strange, as I didn't knoe they made hard drives.

How 'bout swapping one for one of those spare video cards of your Dana?

Perhaps compaq rebadged someone elses?. What's the model number... it might tell something :D.

What sort of card were you after? the ones coming in the 950's are unknowns atm... the first 950 was supposed to have a lot of HD space but they'd all been stolen! Fingers crossed...

dana

Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  18:12:59
quote:
Perhaps compaq rebadged someone elses?. What's the model number... it might tell something :D.

The model number is C2490A ... which crops up in google as variously a Compaq or an HP manufactured drive. How mysterious.
quote:
What sort of card were you after? the ones coming in the 950's are unknowns atm... the first 950 was supposed to have a lot of HD space but they'd all been stolen! Fingers crossed...

dana

Well... I 'm really after one that will give me millions of colours at a decent resolution. Probably academic now as I think I've just fried the power supply on the Quadra. Boo Hoo . Any idea where I can get one of those in Sydney?

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e

1 PB 520c

1 Quadra 800

1 Powermac 6100

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  18:39:29
quote:

The model number is C2490A ... which crops up in google as variously a Compaq or an HP manufactured drive. How mysterious.

Perhaps it's a generic homebrand drive that everyone gets to badge as theirs.

quote:

Well... I 'm really after one that will give me millions of colours at a decent resolution. Probably academic now as I think I've just fried the power supply on the Quadra. Boo Hoo . Any idea where I can get one of those in Sydney?

owww *winces*. wish I knew... I don't know of any places that deal in parts for 68k's locally, there are few enough selling whole machines.

dana

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  18:41:17
bigsadhu, I hope you realize that you posted the above message 15 times...I took the liberty of deleting the 14 excess posts...

Also, just an FYI...if you click on "Post New Reply" and you're still waiting for the accepted-post page, don't click on "Post New Reply" again...trust me, the message has most definitely already been posted

that is all...

(on a related note, I think you hold the record...)

--------------------

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  18:45:44
quote:

bigsadhu, I hope you realize that you posted the above message 15 times...I took the liberty of deleting the 14 excess posts...

Also, just an FYI...if you click on "Post New Reply" and you're still waiting for the accepted-post page, don't click on "Post New Reply" again...trust me, the message has most definitely already been posted

...and if you hit 'back' in omniweb it goes back but back to the page that reposts the message...

and again
and again
etc :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  18:47:55
quote:

that is all...

(on a related note, I think you hold the record...)

Thanks Fireman, actually I was just going to do that myself.

BTW I did click "Post New Reply" only once. The following screen (with the "back to forum" hyperlink) seemed to get stuck in some kind of loop until I quit out of iCab. Quirky.

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e

1 PB 520c

1 Quadra 800

1 Powermac 6100

Edited by - bigsadhu on 23 Feb 2002 18:49:00Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  20:09:40
Hmm, that oddity needs to be added to the Forums' FAQ...

--------------------

--------------------

Edited by - FireWire is fast on 23 Feb 2002 20:13:36Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  20:21:12
quote:

Hmm, that oddity needs to be added to the Forums' FAQ...

hitting command-left arrow to go back in communicator 4.73 was probably what caused my previous 5 at once post (congrats, you beat my record by a factor of three, b!

i think i suggested using MAF's (?) "30 second blackout period" after a post, i think that's their workaround for that controlling loopy multiple postings.

jt2

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  21:20:36
quote:

i think i suggested using MAF's (?) "30 second blackout period" after a post, i think that's their workaround for that controlling loopy multiple postings.

Hmm, are these forums hi-tech enough for that?

--------------------

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 24 Feb 2002 :  03:49:50
Well a PowerBook with a stack of full height drives would still weigh less than the Compaq Transportables (48lbs) we lugged around in the eighties...we thought we were so cool back then. I remember Compaq salesmen standing on them...to demonstrate how strong they were.

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 24 Feb 2002 :  23:45:09
quote:

jt2

Yes, but it's too annoying for people (like me) who browse 3 or 4 windows at once... Anyway, when I get online properly in March I might make a few changes!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.