All Forums
 68k Peripherals
 AppleCD SC errors
Author Topic  
muzhok

Germany
91 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2003 :  03:45:54
I bought an AppleCD SC a number of months ago (for 15 euro bucks) and have had problems from the very start. Namely, despite the various brands and burning speed of the CD-Rs I use, the drive reports errors when copying files to the HD. Not always, mind you, but 80% of the time. Since installing a cd600i into my q950, I have resorted to taking the HDs out of my mac si and performa and putting them into the quadra to copy files. It is quite inconvienient. Any suggestions? Should I try and dismantle the drive and see if the lens is dirty? Or is it a case of back to the e-bay and sell the drive at a loss?
Thanks.

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2003 :  04:49:09
many old drives have lasers not strong enough tto reflect proporly off the slightly duller surface of CDRs ...

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2003 :  04:53:25
Exactly what i was thinking. It seems that a lot of older drives seem to have problems reading CD-Rs...

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1

Edit - On top of that, I believe that you need to use a special older version of the AppleCD ROM drivers. If you can wait a week or so, i should be able to get you a copy. (I have a copy at home)

Edited by - maclover5 on 24 Aug 2003 04:55:57Go to Top of Page

muzhok

Germany
91 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2003 :  06:12:35
Thanks tom and maclover5! Although I might just be in possession of that driver. The CD drive came with an original mac floppy diskette entitled CD Setup Version 3.2 (Z690-8081-A)dated 1991.
If it is the case that these old drives are so bad at reading cd-r's, how is it that the CD SC is the drive of choice for installing A/UX? I really can't believe that everyone has "original" installation cds. Anyhow... my 600i reads all the same cd-rs without flaw.
p.s. I have tried silver, gold and various colored CD-Rs with the same results.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2003 :  06:18:28
muzhok, does your driver's icon look like an AppleCD SC? Becasue thats what the icon for the driver that i have looks like. As for A/UX, it might work, but i'm not sure.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2003 :  07:54:52
quote:
If it is the case that these old drives are so bad at reading cd-r's, how is it that the CD SC is the drive of choice for installing A/UX? I really can't believe that everyone has "original" installation cds. Anyhow... my 600i reads all the same cd-rs without flaw.

not all of them are bad only some of them

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

muzhok

Germany
91 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2003 :  08:36:18
I replaced the Apple CD-Rom extension with the older version (that looks like a CD SC box), yet it still constantly declares "disk error". I guess I would be better off investing the time in trying to get the ether network between the si and my wife's i-mac working and transfer files in that way. I noticed that another thread dealt with that issue. Also took the "Missing Mac Manual - OSX" out of the library the other day and they have some networking info as well. Thanks for the advice.

Go to Top of Page

q950

USA
135 Posts
Posted - 29 Aug 2003 :  10:34:02
I have an Original A/UX cdrom and it works fine on all of my CD drives, but A/UX installer only works with some due to a SCSI bus reset thing. The drive I use is a Plextor 4x drive because when it gets the scsi bus reset, it resets quickly instead of slowly like the new drives do. I have also successfully used copies of AUX on CDr that worked. Can you believe it, I actually have a real copy of A/UX not a bootleg, that I got from ebay for like 25 bucks. I might consider posting it to the net if there is enough support for me to do it. Keep in mind that it is the regular version, not the special version designed the WGS 95 and that it is 3.0 not 3.0.1.

http://home.cfl.rr.com/jupiterheights/aux1.JPG
http://home.cfl.rr.com/jupiterheights/aux2.JPG

Logan

Quadra 950, Workgroup Server 9150, Performa 6400, Powerbook 2300c, 4x Quadra 700's, iBookGo to Top of Page

muzhok

Germany
91 Posts
Posted - 30 Aug 2003 :  05:12:08
Very impressive Logan!
I solved the A/UX install problem for my Q950 a while back by installing a CD600i in the box and then doing the extension fix on the installer floppy.
It is just that I have had the hulky CD SC hanging around for months now and I can't actually do anything with it. Plus it ate up a month and a half of my mac spending limit! I initially wanted to install A/UX on my first 68k, the IIsi that I found outside my door. Now there is no great need to install A/UX on everything. But it would be great to install macOS progs on the IIsi and my performa 475. Now I have to take the HD from one computer and install it temporarily in the q950 to install anything.
Still hoping to pick up a transceiver on the e-bay here to hook up the q950 - have been outbid for the last 6 weeks, but then again, my mac spending limit is 10 EURO bucks incl. shipping a month.

Go to Top of Page

q950

USA
135 Posts
Posted - 30 Aug 2003 :  09:03:56
I have a couple of spare transcievers over here in the US. I would sell you one for five plus shipping if you wanted it. congrats on that A/UX thing, getting it installed can definately be tricky. There is an old thread I started in the unix on 68k room that details how I had to figure out the SCSI bus reset thing, that took some work. topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=4736.html

Logan

Quadra 950, Workgroup Server 9150, Performa 6400, Powerbook 2300c, 4x Quadra 700's, iBookGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.