All Forums
 UNIX on 68k
 A/UX on a Quadra 950
Author Topic  
q950

USA
135 Posts
Posted - 03 May 2003 :  22:55:08
Hey, I have a Q950 and I just got a brand new pristine copy of A/UX from ebay. It is version 3.0.0. I also have a bootleg copy of A/UX 3.0.1 for the WGS 95 which I have tried. I have put several different HD's in it and booted it up off of the install floppy. The process starts fine from the floppy and then it goes to the CD. It pauses after reading the CD for a minute and says "panic: no root filesystem" There is always at least one HD attached so I dont know why it doesnt work for me. I have even preformatted the disk for use with A/UX. I have tried it on both the internal and external busses too. Am I doing something wrong, or do I just have to have the WGS 95 PDS card for AUX to run on the Quadra? If I cant get it to work on the q950, will A/UX 3.0.1 or 3.0.0 work on a q800 or a q840?
Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 04 May 2003 :  05:39:01
I have the Q950 with wgs95 cards. It looks like the card is just a scsi card with dma+cache circuitry. IS your A/UX complete with manuals or just the cd?

Go to Top of Page

q950

USA
135 Posts
Posted - 04 May 2003 :  08:34:11
My new copy of A/UX is 3.0.0 My bootleg copy is 3.0.1 and is designed specifically for the WGS 95. The only manual I have is "Setting Up and Managing Your Server for the Apple WGS 95". I also have a PDF manual found on Apple's site. Other than that, I don't have any documentation. I used to have a WGS card, but it got lost in a move, I seem to remember being able to install A/UX once, but only with that card. I did get it to install on a zip disk on an SE/30 and I did get it to boot that on the Quadra, but then it crashed or something happened.

Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 05 May 2003 :  02:13:05
Are you sure the HD is partitioned and formatted correctly? IIRC, you need at least a Mac OS partition, an A/UX user partition and an A/UX swap partition. Eschatology is optional.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
who | grep -i blonde | date
cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger
mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount
sleepGo to Top of Page

q950

USA
135 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2003 :  09:28:52
I am pretty sure that I formatted it correctly. I don't think that is the problem though, because during installs on other computers, you are given the option to format the disk from scratch. I am starting to think that it is my newer Apple CD rom drive, it is an 8x. I also tried with a 12 Plex plextor, unsuccessfully. I am going to hunt down an old Apple CDSC drive and try it again. Does anyone else think that the CDROM drive is the problem?

Go to Top of Page

q950

USA
135 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2003 :  11:01:55
Success!! I tried the installation again this time with a different, and older, CD-ROM drive, and it installed. I changed nothing else, so I am almost completely sure that it was a problem with the CD-ROM drive. While trying to install with the newer 12plex, it would work fine and read from the disc until the point where the computer would do that thing with the screen. Then, I think the SCSI bus reset, judging by the sounds and LEDS on the CD drive, shortly thereafter, A/UX installer would need to read from the CD and the drive wasn't ready yet, because it was still resetting. I tried it with an old 4plex and it works, probably because the CD-ROM was able to reset itself quickly. It would probably work with any CD drive as long as the CD-ROM drive reset itself quickly enough once it got the SCSI bus reset signal.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2003 :  19:45:16
I never even thought of that....

I just thought it was a unix/apple "thing" that it's so-very particular...

none of A/UX will wokr on a quadra 840av although there is an update that'll let it work on the 800... like... 3.0.1 or 3.1.1 or something....

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 07 May 2003 :  07:44:13
any chance you could email some of us a disk image of the boot floppy?

my email is marchie@mac.com

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 08 May 2003 :  20:57:27
I have it somewhere (or had it)... I'll find it from the internet and maybe eMail you the link...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

markie
Starting Member

Netherlands
38 Posts
Posted - 19 May 2003 :  15:52:51
Well, I be darned! I have exactly the same problem overhere! (and Google couldn't come up with anything :-))

I'm trying to install A/UX on my Quadra 800. I have a Compaq(actually a HP) 1.05gb drive in there and 56mb memory. I first tried to install it through my external Yamaha CRW6416s burner, but it gave me the 'panic: no root file system' error. Then I came across www.aux-penelope.com through another thread in this forum and then I made a bootfloppy with a hacked CD-Rom-extension and then I could use my old Toshiba XM-5201B-drive, but it does the same there, same point, same error...

First I thought I burned the (WGS95)-image not correctly, so I have like 5 copies now overhere ;-) Then I thought it would be this 3rd-party harddrive, so I already partitioned it and then I did as much manual as I could, so I could install the system 7.1 that's on the CD and it boots fine from the HD but now I'm stuck...

Guess I have to start looking for even older SCSI-CD-romdrives...

***mark.is-a-geek.org***
a Classic II, a LC475, a Quadra 800 and some other hardware :-)Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.