All Forums
 68k Peripherals
 Focus LTV Portable and odd cable
Author Topic  
Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2003 :  18:35:42
I got a focus LTV portable scan convertor at a computer show for $10, sans power adapter, (did I get a good deal?) which is minor, it is a little AC adapter, 9 volt I believe. It also came with a bizarre connection that I figger must have come with the a/v monitors. it is a box with the odd proprietary connection at one end, and 4 wires, DB15 video, line out, mic, and adb. any idea what it is?

I also have a cable with a connection the size of a db15 monitor connection, but with three rows of pins, and 2 short cables out the end, one db15 male, and one db15 female. any ideas as to what this is?

anyway, thanks for the advise
CCC

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced Leftennant)
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //e

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2003 :  18:51:40
Download the manuals for the Presentation System and see if it is the same thing.

Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2003 :  19:50:43
quote:
it is a box with the odd proprietary connection at one end, and 4 wires, DB15 video, line out, mic, and adb. any idea what it is?

Well, I don't know what that particular unit is, but I'd guess that what you're thinking is an ADB connector is in fact S-Video, which uses the same type of plug- in fact, you can usually use an ADB cable for S-Video work! I do this to connect my PowerBook to LCD projecters at school sometimes.
Okay, that's about all I know...
:-)
SpaceBoy

Official MLA Raconteur
AppleBASIC FOREVER!
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PowerMac 6500/275
Performa 6400/180
3x PowerMac 7600/132
SE/30 32/250, "Wang"
PB 1400/133
PB 180/33
PMac 7100/G3-266
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2003 :  19:51:05
the focus ltv is the same thing, though I still have those puzzling cables to work out.
any ideas?
CCC

68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  01:08:12
The best darn web site on scan converters and similar equipment is http://www.extron.com/ Lots of info, diagrams and so forth....

The second cable you describe is probably a Y-split cable (effectively) It may not even be designed for the scan converter that you have there (do you have any place on the box to plug in the DB15 that's got 3 rows of pins?)
Basically you would plug the male HD15 into your computer or laptop, plug the female HD15 into a monitor and the big end into the scanconverter. Depending on the setup it could be a 'nasty' Y-split, or the female HD15 could be a nice buffered output. Given that you have three rows of pins in the big connector I'd say it's a 'nice' system.

The thing that I am missing in your description of the equipment is what plugs/sockets are there on the actual scan converter? Do you have corresponding positions to plug everything in? If not then I would suspect that you have the wrong cables...

cheers
Flash!

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  02:15:39
Sounds like a DOS card video breakout cable if it's an HD somethingorother number (the size of a DB15 with 3 rows of pins.)

Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  18:53:05
quote:

what you're thinking is an ADB connector is in fact S-Video

I thought so myself at first, but no, it has the little adb logo on the connector.

quote:

The second cable you describe is probably a Y-split cable (effectively) It may not even be designed for the scan converter that you have there

I forgot to mention -- the "y" cable did not come with the scan convertor, I just threw it in as a wildcard. I dont think it is a y-splitter cable, due to the fact that one connector is male and the other is femaie, not including the male connetor with three rows of pins at the end.

quote:

The thing that I am missing in your description of the equipment is what plugs/sockets are there on the actual scan converter? Do you have corresponding positions to plug everything in? If not then I would suspect that you have the wrong cables...

The scan convertor does not use any proprietary cables, it has a DB15 monitor connection in, which I have the cable for, and a db15 monitor connection that you plug the monitor into. the scan convertor goes inline. The cable that I got with it, (HD video connector on one end, mic, speaker, monitor, and ADB plugs on the other) was just a wildcard that was probally an artifact of the mac it was formerly attached to.

quote:

Sounds like a DOS card video breakout cable if it's an HD somethingorother number (the size of a DB15 with 3 rows of pins.)

I thought so at first too, and it may well be the pass-thru interface for a dos card. the cable goes into the dos card, and then you connect the mac to one end of the y, and the monitor into the other, probally because the video switching circutry is on the card on the inside of the mac. You have confirmed my suspitions, but what about the other octopus?

I'll post piccies of both tonight, and y'all can have at it. in the meantime though suggestions/wild shots in the dark are highly appreciated.
CCC

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  21:48:04
quote:

I got a focus LTV portable scan convertor at a computer show for $10, sans power adapter, (did I get a good deal?) which is minor, it is a little AC adapter, 9 volt I believe. It also came with a bizarre connection that I figger must have come with the a/v monitors. it is a box with the odd proprietary connection at one end, and 4 wires, DB15 video, line out, mic, and adb. any idea what it is?

I also have a cable with a connection the size of a db15 monitor connection, but with three rows of pins, and 2 short cables out the end, one db15 male, and one db15 female. any ideas as to what this is?

anyway, thanks for the advise
CCC

Apple //s rescued: Apple //e

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2003 :  06:40:27
hey... that thing that you have, it's probably an Apple thing right? beige with the apple logo? a big female connector on one end, and those 4 male connectors on the other?

THIS little piece of work, is what we call an "AudioVision monitor adaptor" it allows us, to use our Apple AudioVision 14" monitors on macs *other* than the 6100/7100/8100 series.

I find it particularly useful because I have never had a *functional* 6100, 7100 or 8100.

Trust me, that monitor kicks some serious A$$ also... it may only so 640 by 480, but it's speakers and microphone are AWESOME...

yeah, the monitor also connects to ADB...

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2003 :  12:19:25
Yup, that looks like my connector, thanks for the clarification!
CCC

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2003 :  21:51:12
I am just glad to have helped... I actually saw another of these connectors laying around the RePC the other day and thought to meself "maybe I should get that one"

I think that these would be great for building that BrickOVEN, just build a switch that switches all 40 of whatever of those pins from the 6 microquads in trash's cube, or the 8-10 fullQuads in my Qluster

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2003 :  22:19:59
indeed, since that is the perfect monitor to use with a switch, you can use one monitor and one keyboard, and use one switch jiggermabob to do the job. the only problem would be the ADB, since you are not supposed to unplug it whilst the mac is running unless you wish for unpleasant things to happen to your mac.

something for JT and the rest of the iBrickOven Development team. mebbie enough modified LCs and some distributed load convertor will be able to run OSX one of these days ;)
CCC

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2003 :  22:38:24
quote:

indeed, since that is the perfect monitor to use with a switch, you can use one monitor and one keyboard, and use one switch jiggermabob to do the job. the only problem would be the ADB, since you are not supposed to unplug it whilst the mac is running unless you wish for unpleasant things to happen to your mac.

ADB switches fine, you're just not supposed to hot-plug it using the cords!
I use a KVM switch full time to run the G4, 6360 and DuoDocked 2300c from one Monitor, one mouse and several ADB keyboards (2 hooked up at the same time to the switch and one hooked alone to the G4).

jt

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2003 :  06:48:00
hehehe... well I always am unplugging and replugging my ADB.... once I had the 7300 on, but had to dissasemble the desk it was on, so I uplugged everything but power, and moved the desk, took the 7300 off and dissasembled it, put the 7300 back together on another desk and it was as if nothing happened...

(maybe this kind of activity killed hte Q840AV)

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  21:57:29
For the record, my Apple Presentation System (same box, btw) came with the following accessories:

1 9VDC power adapter
1 Composite video cable with male RCA connectors on both ends
1 S-Video cable with male connectors on both ends
1 cable with DB-15 male connectors on both ends to plug into the Mac

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  01:49:24
hehehe... you have that super duper LC630 setup don't you? well now I have a plan... the grand plan, that is...

alpaca2500

USA
102 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  10:40:30
could the Y-cable be the one for the apple IIe LC card? it has 3 rows of pins also...

and i have a question about the apple presentation system (focus ltv portable): can i use this with the apple video system? i.e. video output from one mac go to the video input on another, so i can use one monitor for both, opening the video player program when i want other's screen? i tried it, hooked everything up, but all i got awas a gray screen... i'm not sure if i missed something somewhere

--
3 Mac SEs, 1 Classic II, 1 LC, 1 LCIII, 1 Quadra 610, 1 Performa 630, 1 Quadra 630, 1 Performa 6200, 1 iMac DV 400Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  10:52:22
quote:

. . . and i have a question about the apple presentation system (focus ltv portable): can i use this with the apple video system? i.e. video output from one mac go to the video input on another, so i can use one monitor for both, opening the video player program when i want other's screen? i tried it, hooked everything up, but all i got awas a gray screen... i'm not sure if i missed something somewhere

HUH? Could you explain that clusterf . . . err . . .
. . . hardware setup . . . a little more carefully please?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

alpaca2500

USA
102 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  15:14:53
quote:

HUH? Could you explain that clusterf . . . err . . .
. . . hardware setup . . . a little more carefully please?

it's quite simple really. i have a performa 630, and a 6200 (and a quadra 630, but i wont get into that) stacked up, and room on my desk for 1 monitor. i could use a switch, to use one monitor and keyboard for them, but i dont have a switch at the moment and i DO have one of these things. so: can i can i use it to connect the video out of the 6200 into the video in on the 630, connect the monitor to the 630, and open up video player when i want to see the 6200's screen?

and yes, 'clusterf***' would be a good term to describe it, because i also have my imac, external hard drive and cd-rw, an SE and a classic, and a PC, plus a VCR and PS2, and about half a dozen other things, all plugged in, with about 40 cables unning everywhere. and besides that i have half a dozen computers that arent running, and 2 boxes of various other cables and keyboards and components.

--
3 Mac SEs, 1 Classic II, 1 LC, 1 LCIII, 1 Quadra 610, 1 Performa 630, 1 Quadra 630, 1 Performa 6200, 1 iMac DV 400Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  15:37:23
quote:

so: can i can i use it to connect the video out of the 6200 into the video in on the 630, connect the monitor to the 630, and open up video player when i want to see the 6200's screen?

Like this? I'd say sure, that's how I play with my Laser 128 when the fancy strikes me. But your display won't be all that clear because of all the processing I would think. The algorithms that squeeze the text into a decent format within the video signal are't expecting it to be digitized at 320x240 and then line doubled to 640x480 again.

Silly question: since the screen is blank blue, are you sure you have the input and output at both ends of your video kluge configured to the proper (same) channel? a blue screen is what you'd get if one or the other were doin' . . . say . . . composite instead of coax or S-Video!

That's how the Laser Desktop looks to a 6360 screenshot - blank blue, I cut and pasted a VidCap into the 6360 screenshot to come up with that "fib!"

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 03 Feb 2003 15:43:44Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  18:17:36
quote:
But your display won't be all that clear because of all the processing I would think. The algorithms that squeeze the text into a decent format within the video signal are't expecting it to be digitized at 320x240 and then line doubled to 640x480 again.

Exactly. I tried this very idea a few months ago, and it looked like crap.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 07 Feb 2003 :  13:30:46
WHAT an interesting hardware setup... I would LOVE if my parents would let me have that many macs, and if I were brave enough to set them all on the same desk...

(enjoys having enough keyboards monitors and mice to go around)

you could use an AV switch and that BW composite out from the video port thing to do it easiyl without going thru another computer

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.