Apple ][
 Can I Join the Club?
Author Topic  
Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2002 :  13:14:18
it's not even a //, but it is 6.5K! after my C64, i looked into a PC Compatable, a Commodore 128 and a LASER 128. What can i say, i couldn't afford a //c! well i finally got one! now i feel like a beginner again! where do i get software? what can i do with this thing?

*shrugs . . . thinks: where have i heard this crap before?!!*

anyhoo, here's a screenshot of my 6.5k displaying thru the TV system from my Quadra 630 in the PCI upgraded version in my desk!

so can i play too?

jt ™. .

p.s. a nickle to the first one who figures out what i just fibbed about and why it's technically impossible!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 26 Apr 2002 13:20:05

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2002 :  13:42:57
Well, I'm not sure which of the old systems you mentioned you're using, and the screenshot wouldn't come up. However, if I remember right, most of the early computer/game systems used composite-video out, so I doubt you'd be able to run it though a Mac's A/V inputs. Maybe I'm wrong, but I was never able to get my IntelliVision to play through my friend's old A/V mac (I forget which model).
Do I get the nickel? I could sure use it- I'm about to fall behind on my payments to MBNA on my PowerBook G4! Arrrrgh!
SpaceBoy <sinking into debt right before your eyes!>

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
PMac 7100/G3-266, "DEC Rainbow" and "Altair 8800"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
iMac Rev.A/333mHz, "Deep Blue"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2002 :  16:09:49
quote:

SpaceBoy <sinking into debt right before your eyes!>

*tosses spaceboy a penny for noticing that he hadn't specified that his new toy is the only legal // clone ever made, is reputedly the best portable // ever made, and has an expansion slot sticking out the left side.*

*then pushes buzzer*

NAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
next?

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2002 :  12:12:41
<bump>
nobody else takin a shot at the nickel prize?

anyhoo!

OK, nobody told me to get out yet so here goes:

I'm the proud owner of one of my dream machines from back in the day! the tag on my new toy says Laser 128E, no info so far, but what i found has me wanting to mod this baby already!

quote:

012- What is an Apple II: The Laser 128EX and 'EX/2

While not made by Apple, these Lasers can run just about anything that an Enhanced //e can run. They are as luggable as a //c and include built-in 'cards'. They are also fast; the entire motherboard runs at 3.6Mhz. If you want to use a card in the single expansion Slot, you may have to disable the internal UDC (for 3.5" drives) or the internal 1MB memory expansion.

Unlike the EX model, which supports one additional disk drive, the EX/2 supports as many daisychained drives as a IIgs and has a built in BRAM control panel for saving settings. The EX/2 also has a built in 3.5" disk drive, a MIDI port, and a video port which can support analog RGB and digital CGA monitors as well as an LCD display. --Supertimer, Dan DeMaggio

source: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/apple2/faq/part1/
same info also at: http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/apple2/mainhall/part1.html

what are the differences between the enhanced //e and the //gs? the reason i ask is this interesting tidbit! which of course led to some more great info:

quote:

Several alternative operating systems exist, besides Quark Catalyst and GEOS. I have now been made aware of GNO/ME, which does best on the IIgs, and apparently an OS9 post exists, but I cannot confirm this.

source: http://www.hypermall.com/companies/procyon/gnome.html

quote:

August 8, 1993 (Littleton, CO)

Procyon Enterprises announced today that they are now accepting orders for the new version of their GNO/ME UNIX system for the Apple IIGS.

source: http://www.hypermall.com/companies/procyon/gnome.html

This guy is one class act!

quote:

As the man behind Procyon Enterpsises Inc., a long-time Apple IIGS developer and one of the last commercial
developers for the platform, I regret to announce the end to sales of my first product, the GNO Multitasking
Environment (GNO/ME).......

However, instead of simply stopping sales of GNO and letting the software wander into oblivion, I am placing GNO into "freeware" status, and I am also making available all source code to the 2.0.4 version to the public and the development community.

Jawaid Bazyar
President, Procyon Enterprises Inc.
source: http://www.hypermall.com/companies/procyon/freegno.html

GNO/ME versions 2.0.2 thru 2.0.4 (FREEWARE) via links to ftp sites:
http://www.apple2.org.za/gswv/gsezine/GS.WorldView/@GS.GNO/

GNO/ME Utilities Page:
http://www.faerealm.com/Users/phoenix/computers/gno/

BSD port for IIgs? (different guy, and he called it a sick idea, btw!)

quote:

However, the company that made GNO/ME had another product that would let myou switch between multiple GUI apps (sort of like a MultiFinder, but without the multitasking :) It copied an app's entire stack/zero page space out of bank 0 when it was switched out, and restored it when the app was switched back in. Switches weren't happening 60 times a second though, so copying all that data wasn't a problem.

Now if someone came up with a PMMU addon for the GS (I think the '816
actually had the pins to support one), I'd love to see a real port of
BSD to it :) I was running NetBSD on a 4MB 386/25MHz for a while (since
upgraded to an 8MB 386/33 :), and it was quite usable... my 5MB 12MHz
IIgs shouldn't be _too_ bad :) I'm sure the lack of 32-bit registers
would hurt a lot though...

source: http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-mac68k/2000/10/10/0001.html

i think i need a //e card! will it run in a microquadra or do i need an LC too?

jt ™. .

p.s. is all this stuff old news to you // veterans?
i'm excited about it, anyway!

p.p.s. just to take things just a little too far!™
check out:

Unix on Commodore 64/128?!!!!!!!

quote:

LUnix continues to be developed, now boasting TCP/IP abilities and a true PPP client. Visit its home page and download it.

http://lng.sourceforge.net/

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 27 Apr 2002 12:32:31Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2002 :  17:14:57
quote:
i think i need a //e card! will it run in a microquadra or do i need an LC too?

Mine should be arriving this week

I'm told it will work in a 605, however I hope to be able to confirm that personally soon!

I'll keep ya posted!

Cheers!
CC

Current score:

1 eMate 300
1 Apple //e
2 LC IIs
1 LC III
1 LC 475
1 Quadra 605
1 Quadra 700
1 Quadra 800
1 PB 520c
2 Powermac 6100s
1 PowerComputing Powerbase 240
1 Wallstreet

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2002 :  17:30:52
quote:

Mine should be arriving this week

I'm told it will work in a 605, however I hope to be able to confirm that personally soon!

I'll keep ya posted!

thanks for the info, B! i've got a pile of stuff on order and i can get one for about $10 when they send the rest of the crap. even if i don't play with NIX, maybe i can hook up a // FDD to write to 5.25's to feed my 128 some downloaded goodies!

does anybody know which 5.25 i should get to attach to the port on the IIe card?

how about appletalk or 10BaseT adapters?

new toys! yippeeeeeeee!!!!!!

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2002 :  17:52:35
Yes, the Apple ][s can do LocalTalk! You'll need an interface card, obviously, and I believe it has the older DB-9 plugs on it: you'll need transcievers with those connectors. I do have an Australian source if you're desparate...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2002 :  18:38:02
quote:

Yes, the Apple ][s can do LocalTalk! You'll need an interface card, obviously...

i've only got the one slot tho! gonna have to use that for an HDD most likely! think i'll stick with floppies for now! i gotta dig up the IDE interface card link i posted a while back, that'd be cool, unless! did i see something about SCSI cards for IIe's? do they do a whole chain and are there drivers fo a SCSI 10baseT converter around?

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2002 :  18:41:06
I'm not sure that there'd be drivers for a ][...

Hack time!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2002 :  18:59:05
quote:

I'm not sure that there'd be drivers for a ][...

Hack time!

gaaaaak! i don't do software!

hey! do any of you whiz kids know anything about slot manager routines? the DuoDock with LCD hack could be done in software by shutting down the dock's jet video interface and reinitializing the Duos onboard interface! at least that's what my research in "inside macintosh" leads me to believe.

hey marchie! do you know anything about this crap?

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2002 :  19:54:19
Do I get the nickel? You can't add PCI to a Q630...

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2002 :  20:34:42
quote:

Do I get the nickel? You can't add PCI to a Q630...

*sighs*

sure you can, the hardest part is fitting the extra 6 sticker that comes with the parts in between the 3 and the 0 on the front bezel, silly!

*pushes buzzer*

NAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
next?

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 29 Apr 2002 :  09:12:51
Performa 6360?

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Apr 2002 :  11:16:04
quote:

Performa 6360?

yah, but that's not the nickel question, that was just the extra credit part! (PCI Quadra ia my code name for the contraband enhanced 630 in my desk.)

so: *taps button*

nah!

next!

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  16:42:32
quote:

Performa 6360?

Yeah, i'd say that it is a 6360.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  16:57:06
quote:

quote:

Performa 6360?

Yeah, i'd say that it is a 6360.

yah! that'd be a PCI Quadra 630, but i've been calling it that since day one.

nobody has guessed the technical impossibility that i fibbed about yet, and i dropped a HUGE hint about it the other day! i figured you kids were a LOT sharper than this! =8-P

jt ™. .

p.s. the video output from the Laser 128 was fed in thru the video in port on the Video system of the 6360 and showed up just fine onscreen as the "screenshot" link above illustrates.

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 18 May 2002 17:01:11Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.