Nix distribution
Author Topic  
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 27 Aug 2002 :  13:40:28
I read the thread topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=852.html
and I LOVE the idea that comes up of a custom, automated 68k unix distribution that'll work on any 68k mac.

for awhile, I've been wondering what it'd take to create my own operating system, one that's not as taxing as unix, but in the long run, just as stable. Maybe something that'll run hypercard stacks :)

no, seriously, will this "MLA" distro be a graphical thing?
how will you get one installer CD to work on every 68k mac (or was that even said?)
Is this including a graphical WM?
how big is the users guide?
did the project actually get off the ground?
is this nix acceptable as a server AND as a workstation OS?
are there drivers for the AV and other multimedia features of some macs, the 630s seem to be one that people like having the DOS cards and TV/Av systems for.
Does the installer try to figure out what mac you have, and what's best?

Features that are good for an OS
- multiple users with passwords and individual settings
- internet/email/IM client
- programs
- drivers for special hardware
- cool non texty startup screen that still tells you what your computer is doing

maybe writing a whole new os, lightly based on something else would be a great project, but I also think that it would be fun to do the aforementioned performa like linux distribution

Official 68k videographer

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 27 Aug 2002 :  14:18:11
I wish I had better news for you, but for now the project hasn't even gotten off the drawing board. It's mostly just conceptual, I don't know if we'll get much farther than that!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Aug 2002 :  14:53:14
quote:

I wish I had better news for you, but for now the project hasn't even gotten off the drawing board. It's mostly just conceptual, I don't know if we'll get much farther than that!

couldn't find references in the link you posted, but it sounds like a question that i (or that idiot albanian imposter) posed to the 'nixies waaaayyyyy back when!

if so, IIRC, the idea was to tailor a set of bootable, autoconfiguring CD's for particular readily available macs in a few basic (near stock) configurations. each CD would autoload the MLA'nix distro for that particular machine, loading a full set of open source/freeware kinda apps and utilities in order to enable novices to set up obsolescent macs as workstations for underpriveledged kids or some sappy crap like that.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 27 Aug 2002 14:57:15Go to Top of Page

MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 28 Aug 2002 :  06:20:22
quote:

if so, IIRC, the idea was to tailor a set of bootable, autoconfiguring CD's for particular readily available macs in a few basic (near stock) configurations. each CD would autoload the MLA'nix distro for that particular machine, loading a full set of open source/freeware kinda apps and utilities in order to enable novices to set up obsolescent macs as workstations for underpriveledged kids or some sappy crap like that.

Well, I might as well reveal myself now. I mentioned it back in the thread that helped create this forum. Since them, I've been working on tracking down a stable, more modern kernel, and trying to talk a programmer buddy into modifying a semi-graphical installer just for 68k Macs. The project has stalled in the last month or so, as I work on other projects for myself and the website.

However, if someone here would like to collaborate on this, I would be more than willing to provide any help and info. I currently have 22 working 68k's (need to update my sig), several PM's, and a few PC's that can compile and cross-compile to your hearts content.

------------------
MacMoose
Benevolent Genius, 68k MLA
Total 68K Macs liberated: 9 and counting
------------------
Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 28 Aug 2002 :  18:03:21
I'd love to pitch in, but since my programming skills don't go much further than making simple "madlib" programs and calculators, I don't know what exactly I could do.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.