Author Topic  
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2002 :  05:29:58
woohoo. A/UX boots.

Now to play a little :D.

dana (I'll post random rambles in this thread about it, if anyone's interested)

Edited by - SuperMod on 25 Mar 2002 18:06:34

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2002 :  06:25:54
schweet! Will it run on an LC475?

Btw, how is A/UX? I'm thinking it would sort of be like a cross between UNIX and Mac OS X, seeing as though its basically a unix distro thats been moulded onto a specially adapted version of System 7.0.1...ya get my drift?

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2002 :  06:34:42
quote:

schweet! Will it run on an LC475?

I have no idea...

(of course, I'm going to try anyhows...)

quote:

Btw, how is A/UX? I'm thinking it would sort of be like a cross between UNIX and Mac OS X, seeing as though its basically a unix distro thats been moulded onto a specially adapted version of System 7.0.1...ya get my drift?

It's a bit like OSX if it were stuck in Classic...

no

it's a bit like OS 7.0.1 with a command shell.

hrm. kinda in between. ok! you have MacOSX running, with Classic hiding there and popping up when you need it... AUX is more like Classic running, with MacOSX popping up when you need it

It runs a load of mac apps just fine too - perfectly normally as any other mac would. Stuffit, Techtool, a few other utils all work :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2002 :  06:46:26
A/UX is very hardware specific...I don't think it's compatible with the 475/605...

--------------------
Spellcheck/Grammar Bandit and beholder of:
-the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
-the HTML Keyboard of Greater Knowledge™
-Compact Mac Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip™

--------------------Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2002 :  07:40:01
Looks like apple went "pffft!" with the whole ease-of-use thing, and threw themselves into the obtuseness of unix stuff quite wholeheartedly. I have networking going ok, tis connected to the net quite happily now, after setting up routing tables manually. oik.

At least there is server admin documentation on the OS as installed. Thats kind of interesting... but I'm a bit lazy and like typing in a router address... instead of defining it as a default gateway with a certain metric, using a commandline tool and and and...

yes, it's fun :)

dana

Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2002 :  07:41:41
iDo reme,ber reading that it was like godly made to run ona a Mac IIsi, thaats why im gettin one from candPunk in a few, when I get sum $$$$$.

Jeremy
"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Macs Liberated:16
I love macs, macs love me, lets go blow up some PeeCee's. With a Power surge we'll fry their Circutry.
Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2002 :  08:47:32
I believe A/UX only runs on Quadra's, am I right or am I left?

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2002 :  09:15:17
quote:

I believe A/UX only runs on Quadra's, am I right or am I left?

pretty sure it came out in the IIfx era, it only needed to be user tolerant due to its academic/CAD/vertical market segment focus. i've got a really interesting review of the fx/24? video card combo from a CAD pub somewhere. maybe the tearsheets are in my files/ that'll be easier to find than the mag woulda' been.

jt

Go to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2002 :  09:42:10

Does A/UX bear any resemblence to IBM's AIX, other than in name?

Sgt. Tallgeese
Thread Lord of Darkness
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2002 :  11:00:52
Nah, it's a completely different, though still Unix-based and server-targeted, OS. AIX 5.1 is also still in general use, unlike A/UX.

Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2002 :  11:24:00

Good... most of my BSD and Linux-using friends have declared AIX to be one of the worst unix they've used

Sgt. Tallgeese
Thread Lord of Darkness
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2002 :  11:29:29
I've heard the same. I guess what I meant to say is that it's still supposedly in general use.

Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 14 Mar 2002 11:30:07Go to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2002 :  11:34:53

I recently heard that IBM has switched to Linux for all its servers.

Sgt. Tallgeese
Thread Lord of Darkness
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2002 :  21:33:08
A/UX sounds so cool. Does it run regular MacOS apps and support mac hardware? Too bad that I don't have any 68k hardware that is supported by it. A friend of mine said that he had an old tower that *could* be a Quadra 700, though, and that I could have it.
Here is the compatibility list, BTW:
The following is more or less taken from this web site:
http://www.cs.ruu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/aux-faq/part2.html

Smykes24

A/UX 3.0 will run on the following machines: (*) It seems to needs an FPU
•Macintosh II (with PMMU or 68040 upgrade with FDHD Rom's Installed)
•Macintosh IIx
•Macintosh IIcx
•Macintosh IIci (*) BAB installed 3.01 on a IIci and it works great
•Macintosh IIfx
•Macintosh SE/30
•Macintosh IIsi (Must have 68882 chip)
•Macintosh Quadra 700
•Macintosh Quadra 900
•Macintosh Quadra 950

A/UX 3.0.1 or greater (*) above Macs, plus these...
•Macintosh Quadra 800
•Macintosh Centris
•Macintosh Quadra 610* (check the web site) (*) Only runs on version with full 68040
•Macintosh Quadra 650* (check the web site) (*) "

Will not run on:
•PowerMacintosh
•Any machine that contains 'AV' in its' name
•PowerBooks/Portables (*) may run on PowerBook w/ an FPU
•Macintosh LC series
•Macintosh Duos "
•Macintosh Classic II
•Macintosh Quadra 605 (*) may run on these Macs if '040 with FPU is installed
•Macintosh Quadra 630 (*) "
•Any Macintosh Clone

[(*) comments by Bob A. Booey]

quote:

I recently heard that IBM has switched to Linux for all its servers.

They did.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2002 :  22:43:25
quote:

A/UX sounds so cool. Does it run regular MacOS apps and support mac hardware? Too bad that I don't have any 68k hardware that is supported by it. A friend of mine said that he had an old tower that *could* be a Quadra 700, though, and that I could have it.
•Macintosh Quadra 605 (*) may run on these Macs if '040 with FPU is

Yay 605!.

From the Applefritter info about it, it does seem to run a lot of mac stuff - certainly all the apps I've ran so far work fine. Ones that require access to hardware won't work properly, like many disktools... but thats the same with OSX. Netscape 3 worked for the guy who wrote about it on applefritter too. Word and Excel on unix... :D

(I just tried Tetris that moment - keeps quitting. Ohwell. Not quite a server app anyhows... not that word or excel are!)

As I've copied files over from my server, it's much much smoother with just an appletalk connection - no stop/starts, it's all fluid. When unstuffing, the system is usable - nothing like OS7.0.1 would normally be.

Each user can get their own system folder, with a custom set of extensions, control panels, startup items etc... that so far, seems a lot cleaner than OSX - which does the same, but in a far more unix kinda way.

dana

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2002 :  13:43:42
What Unix software does it come with? Standards like gcc, pico, and emacs, or do you have to install those yourself?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2002 :  15:42:25
Any version of GCC it comes with will be obscenely old.

The REAL question should be: how easy is it to install NEW versions?

From what I understand (and this is a little over my head) you could take the gcc that is installed... and use it to compile a newer version of gcc... then take that and compile one newer... and thn one newer...

thus eventually getting up to a recent/current one.

This is when I was trying to figure out how to compile Linux with codeWarrior. Some Linux dudes told me I couldn't, and asked me if I knew what flames felt like.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2002 :  15:45:48
I think I'll install A/UX on my IIfx.

I don;t have the awesome graphics card that is supposed to come w/ a IIfx, and it only has 8MB of RAM.

If I install the system on a 500MB drive, and have an 80MB drive in there for swap, it should survive.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2002 :  17:16:08
quote:

From what I understand (and this is a little over my head) you could take the gcc that is installed... and use it to compile a newer version of gcc... then take that and compile one newer... and thn one newer...

The original AUX would be a pain in the bum to do anything with I think - I'm not too sure, truly, which year that 3.01 is from!. However, from the Applefritter info (which has a bit more technical info than I could give :D a newish gcc is usable... btw it doesn't come with gnu cc, but just with cc.

I get the idea that it was updated until the mid 90's sometime, which would allow for -some- nicer changes to have been made, and with a little unix coding knowledge some bits of the system could be changed to do whatever you need.

I still need to upgrade to 3.1.x or whichever the latest one was

dana

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2002 :  17:17:15
quote:

If I install the system on a 500MB drive, and have an 80MB drive in there for swap, it should survive.

Mine's running on a Quadra 700, 20Mb mem and 230Mb Hd, btw :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  01:08:45
~Aaron works on AUX!

For anyone who hasn't used it, Aaron is the lil extension which gives pre-os-8 OS's the subtle 3d platinum look...

...y'know, the one I'm obsessed about? :D

dana (obsession is good...)

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  01:40:44
quote:

~Aaron works on AUX!

dana (obsession is good...)

i'm glad something is working tonight!
right about now i agree more with another danaism: all computers suck! the one in my plotter isn't listening to what my 6360 is telling it to do. it flashes its freakin' activity led's and cuts SQUAT, every once in a while it will deign to advance the vinyl to the end of the image area without movin' the knife! bleeech! i'm gonna bail and reload the software in the am (like it's not am rtfnow!). banging my forehead on the keyboard any more right about now would be less than pointless!

jt *grinding my teeth!*

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  01:41:13
quote:

~Aaron works on AUX!

For anyone who hasn't used it, Aaron is the lil extension which gives pre-os-8 OS's the subtle 3d platinum look...

...y'know, the one I'm obsessed about? :D

Yeah, i know the one. Great extension, but i always disable it when I decide that its time to go retro.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  01:52:38
quote:

Yeah, i know the one. Great extension, but i always disable it when I decide that its time to go retro.

:D

for this lil osxhead, it's alllll retro if it's not aqua.

dang, osx needs a platinum theme. did I mention that a few hundred times before? :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  01:58:02
quote:

quote:

:D

dang, osx needs a platinum theme. did I mention that a few hundred times before? :D

ENOUGH! just borrow a can of silver spraypaint from cine', hack the freakin' screen and stop bellyaching already!

jt

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  02:52:57
quote:

Heh...for this lil X-wannabe, its retro if its the System 7 style interface, but Aqua is nice and futuristic, as i see platinum every day.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  08:22:39

I'm happy! I get the three most recent 'looks' without any fiddling. My G4 has OSX Aqua interface, my Quadra has 8.0 Platinum, and my 'book has System 7 Blue. All I need is my beloved si to run 6.0.7 and I would be complete...

Sgt. Tallgeese
Thread Lord of Darkness
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  17:39:13
quote:

think I'll install A/UX on my IIfx.

I don;t have the awesome graphics card that is supposed to come w/ a IIfx, and it only has 8MB of RAM.

Hmmm...me thinks you'll need more RAM...

Hmmm...I thought all 6 slotters didn't come packaged with a video card...one had to buy that seperately?

quote:

Actually...the stand-alone "Appearance Extension" can do the same thing...or you could just get the whole SDK and pretend you are using 8 on an '020. (yes, yes, I know you can get apps to make the computer think it's an '040...but this is better!)

quote:

my Quadra has 8.0 Platinum

Quick! Update to 8.1 before your little '040 randomly implodes!

--------------------
Spellcheck/Grammar Bandit and beholder of:
-the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
-the HTML Keyboard of Greater Knowledge™
-Compact Mac Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip™

--------------------

Edited by - FireWire is fast on 16 Mar 2002 17:40:12Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  18:37:30
How responsive/fast is A/UX? As fast or faster than system 7?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  19:52:46
quote:

It certainly feels no slower, compared to what I remember of using system 7 on an LC475 - same speed at the Q700 that A/UX is running on - things seem a bit more fluid though. The mouse movement is even a little more regular. There's no "omigod A/UX did this dodgy" feeling about any of the speed.

All subjective, of course :)

dana

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  20:19:16
quote:

quote:

It certainly feels no slower, compared to what I remember of using system 7 on an LC475 - same speed at the Q700 that A/UX is running on - things seem a bit more fluid though. The mouse movement is even a little more regular. There's no "omigod A/UX did this dodgy" feeling about any of the speed.

i think i've got to try A/UX on one of the new IIfx's. is there a link where i can download the proper version of it? I'm going to have to break down and buy another KVM switch, now i've got WAY too many toys!

jt

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  06:08:46
A/UX 1.0 - 1988
A/UX 2.0 - 1990
A/UX 3.0 - 1992
A/UX 3.1.1 - 1995

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  12:14:31
Ok.. the list says Duo's won;t work...

BUT... If I make a micro dock with an FPU, will A/UX run on a Duo? Dunno... we'll find out!

And FW: tha A/UX FAQ says 8MB of RAM will work.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  12:54:51
quote:

Ok.. the list says Duo's won;t work...

BUT... If I make a micro dock with an FPU, will A/UX run on a Duo? Dunno... we'll find out!

And FW: tha A/UX FAQ says 8MB of RAM will work.

before you make a microdock try it on the a 230/DuoDock(original) with the copro installed in the Dock. you might also want to check to see if the 270c works because it's got a copro on its mobo as i recall.

it's probably not any help, but quite a while ago i checked out some linux compatability charts and the reason that either the 230 or 2300c was listed as semicompatible was that the floppy was SWIM based, but that's really hazy and i couldn't find those pages last time i looked. i don't think that would be the case for A/UX because a lot of those macs on the list were SWIM boards.

LEM lists the IIsi's PDS as exactly the same as the SE/30's, but at 20 MHz, so i've got those pinouts and block diagrams and the differences between that and the ci and fx implementations if you need them. it shouldn't be too hard to figure out the 230 connector's pinouts with all that and a dock available.

jt

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  18:48:49
There is a program called "Wish I Were", I think, that allows you to select the Gestalt ID of the machine. This may allow you to run A/uX on an 'unsupported' machine...

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  19:45:47
quote:

There is a program called "Wish I Were", I think, that allows you to select the Gestalt ID of the machine. This may allow you to run A/uX on an 'unsupported' machine...

that just lets you trick the installer into doing its thing on a machine somebody told it that it didn't like or that it's never heard of before. if A/UX wants to see a copro or a specific hardware setup and it's not where it was told to expect to find it . . . . . . . . .

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  19:48:17
Yeah, it may not work. Uh, forget that!

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  20:06:17
quote:

Yeah, it may not work. Uh, forget that!

not at all, ~coxy, it's a very good suggestion for marchie when he tries to get A/UX to install at all on his 230!

jt

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 23 Mar 2002 :  22:10:45
hey DANA!

How do you get it installed? I'm trying on my Q950 and it's not working.

Isn;t there and install manual somewhere???

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 23 Mar 2002 :  22:15:01
quote:

hey DANA!
How do you get it installed? I'm trying on my Q950 and it's not working.

I didn't use a manual - but you do need to have both the correctly burned CD, and the installation floppy disk image... I tried a few times without the install floppy and got nowhere. oops. that floppy will boot, and take you through the process... partitioning etc, and then do all the installing it needs from there... Which bits are you stuck on?

dana

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  11:57:28
the Boot floppy! DUH!

I downloaded it, but forgot about it, and booted off a different floppy.

See, I made a Zip Boot floppy, that loads my Zip Drive, and have both the CD images to the install CD and 3.1.1 updater on it.

That doesn't seem like it will work though.

I'm also trying to figure out why my CD drive isn't being recognized, but I should have this done tonight.

Does anyone else think that the forums need an A/UX and Linux forum?

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.