LC / Performa
 Two floppy drives in a 630CD
Author Topic  
Performaman
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  19:00:03
I was wondering, is it possible to put two floppy drives into a 630CD. Would you need to buy some kind of splitter or something?

Rip, Mix, Dang! No CD burner!

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  19:59:04
hiya, welcome to the 68kMLA!

here's a little info, i'd try to run down the info on the PrimeTime II IC and the SWIM II floppy disk controller capabilities before doing anything else. the LC was the last machine i can think of offhand with two FDD's implemented but maybe one of the powerbooks or something else used the SWIM II and could do dual floppies, dunno.

quoted from developer's note:

quote:

PrimeTime II IC

The PrimeTime II IC supports the I/O bus. It combines functions performed by several ICs in previous Macintosh designs. The PrimeTime II IC includes

• data bus buffers for the internal I/O bus

• address decoding for I/O devices

• dynamic bus sizing and data routing for the I/O bus
• interface adapters VIA1 and VIA2

• interrupt controls

• a SWIM II floppy disk controller

• sound control logic and buffers

The PrimeTime II IC serves as a bridge between the system bus and the I/O bus.

The PrimeTime II IC provides the data bus features of the MC68030 that the MC68040 does not provide. Those features are byte steering, which allows 8-bit and 16-bit devices to be connected to a fixed byte lane, and dynamic bus sizing, which allows software to read and write longwords to 8-bit and 16-bit devices. Those features allow the computer to work with existing I/O software designed for the MC68030.

The PrimeTime II IC also contains the sound control logic and the sound input and output buffers. There are three separate buffers—one for sound input and two for stereo sound output—so the computer can record sound input and process sound output simultaneously.

the schematic in the 630 dev. note shows the FDD connected directly to the PrimeTime II IC, so there might be signals available there to enable the second FDD even if there are no traces leading to the motherboard edgecard/harness interface to enable a second connector, dunno.

here's a start on the pinouts for the connectors:

Internal FDD
External FDD 19 PIN D-SUB FEMALE at the Computer
External FDD 19 PIN D-SUB MALE at the Diskdrive

i'm not sure if the signals are going to be available on the harness, but my brain fell asleep a little while ago, so i haven't had a chance to digest the info i dug up for you.

for feature/ASIC comparisons, i think most of the Dev. Notes can be glommed offline, but somebody mentioned that Apple shuts the servers down on weekends, dunno.

happy hacking!

btw, comrade website leaders: a timeline graph of which ASICS the features they handled and which of them were implemented on all the different machines is something i had in mind for the project i suggested:Graphic Display of Compatibility Content

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.